BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > JB4 Tuning

08-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #67
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
If it was possible, and I owned a M2, my choice would be to disable the M2 overboost feature completely.
Yup - maybe bm3 can delete and or amend to suit depending comfort or sport mode.

I'd prefer linear throttle of comfort mode wo overboost for the track and perhaps have overboost enabled in sport mode for show boating !!!

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      08-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #68
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=46

Here i posted map4 logs from today after Bee Pee advice.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:34 PM   #69
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Echoing others here. Run stock map, log, run map 1, Log then run an e30 blend on map 2 and Log. Don't run the others yet. Additive targets over map 2 are too high and you'll be prone to knock and fueling issues. You'll just be creating heat.

Weird finding today though. I am full bolt on right now. I had been running with the MAF plugged in and everything was fine, spikey logs that need some tuning but fine, I was targeting 4 psi over stock on map 1(17-20psi).

I decided to try mafless again, this smooths out the power band and low speed behavior. It runs off the wideband 02. What's weird is now the DME is targeting around 9psi where it used to be targeting about 13-14 in stock form. This leads me to believe that running mafless in the M2 disables overboost and you are left with similar boost targets to the m235i, so no overboost it seems. The DME just backs off.

The car runs great and this isn't such a bad thing, it hits it targets just fine they are just lower, the huge midrange surge is gone but that can be tuned in, Before it was inevitable.

I'll see what Terry makes of it.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3811.50
      09-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #70
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Echoing others here. Run stock map, log, run map 1, Log then run an e30 blend on map 2 and Log. Don't run the others yet. Additive targets over map 2 are too high and you'll be prone to knock and fueling issues. You'll just be creating heat.

Weird finding today though. I am full bolt on right now. I had been running with the MAF plugged in and everything was fine, spikey logs that need some tuning but fine, I was targeting 4 psi over stock on map 1(17-20psi).

I decided to try mafless again, this smooths out the power band and low speed behavior. It runs off the wideband 02. What's weird is now the DME is targeting around 10 psi where it used to be targeting about 15-16 in stock form. This leads me to believe that running mafless in the M2 disables overboost and you are left with similar boost targets to the m235i, so no overboost it seems. The DME just backs off.

The car runs great and this isn't such a bad thing, it hits it targets just fine they are just lower, the huge midrange surge is gone but that can be tuned in, Before it was inevitable.

Whats your Boost Safety set to 18 or 20 ?

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #71
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Yup - maybe bm3 can delete and or amend to suit depending comfort or sport mode.

I'd prefer linear throttle of comfort mode wo overboost for the track and perhaps have overboost enabled in sport mode for show boating !!!
Quote:

I decided to try mafless again, this smooths out the power band and low speed behavior. It runs off the wideband 02. What's weird is now the DME is targeting around 10 psi where it used to be targeting about 15-16 in stock form. This leads me to believe that running mafless in the M2 disables overboost and you are left with similar boost targets to the m235i, so no overboost it seems. The DME just backs off.

I bet if you can disable the overboost you'll have more headroom for E content or at least be able to manage your mixtures better.

Net-net the power will be the same, but it will be more consistent and easier to tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #72
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety
Quote:

Whats your Boost Safety set to 18 or 20 ?
20psi. Strange I'll log some more in and off and will post. Anyone on the fence about the JB4 Bluetooth connect lot needs to get it, best mod yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #73
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post

Quote:

I bet if you can disable the overboost you'll have more headroom for E content or at least be able to manage your mixtures better.

Net-net the power will be the same, but it will be more consistent and easier to tune.
My thoughts exactly. I wasn't a fan of the overboost with Jb4. Running Map 1 and 2 with a small E mixture with the MAF unplugged is great so far. FP-H is hovering around 13-16 at WOT. Initial surge at 13 then it levels off as the timing corrects itself.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      09-06-2016, 07:32 AM   #74
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I wasn't a fan of the overboost with Jb4. Running Map 1 and 2 with a small E mixture with the MAF unplugged is great so far. FP-H is hovering around 13-16 at WOT. Initial surge at 13 then it levels off as the timing corrects itself.
MAF unplugged how come ?
Do you have any Map4 logs ?

After having JB4 w/o EWG wires (3 months) and now plugging them in here's what Terry has to say about my Map4 and Map5 logs
"I don't see why it would be over target on map4 with the EWG connector installed. I'd just remove the EWG connector, doesn't look like its doing much for your situation, anyway."
"Not sure what is going on there. You could remove the EWG connector to see if the problem persists. No reason map4 should not be right on
target."
Map5 = Same problem. Boost is over target for no reason.

Maybe someone in SoCali can drive to his shop for some testing ?

I'm waiting for a proper Flash tune desperately and it should be what our cars need a backend flash/full flash if one wants instead of the same ol' trick or trick lol.

Last edited by FSociety; 10-16-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
Twix652.50
      09-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #75
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
MAF unplugged how come ?
Do you have any Map4 logs ?

After having JB4 w/o EWG wires (3 months) and now plugging them in here's what Terry has to say about my Map4 and Map5 logs
"I don't see why it would be over target on map4 with the EWG connector installed. I'd just remove the EWG connector, doesn't look like its doing much for your situation, anyway."
"Not sure what is going on there. You could remove the EWG connector to see if the problem persists. No reason map4 should not be right on
target."
Map5 = Same problem. Boost is over target for no reason.

Maybe someone in SoCali can drive to his shop for some testing ?

I'm waiting for PTF/BM3 desperately and it should be what our cars need a backend flash/full flash if one wants instead of the same ol' trick or trick lol.
That's very strange it's targeting higher even in map 4. Have you messed with your FF or PID values?

Here's a log from yesterday. PID set to 8 versus 10. E30 mix 3rd gear about 90 degrees outside.

The first is with IGN-1. My average IGN learned down to 0.1

Second is with the FP-H value that I was having trouble with. This log looks great for some unknown reason.

There's some throttle closure early in 3rd gear from under 3k from MDM mode traction control.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      09-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #76
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Here's an example of a large dive In the HPFP on map 2. Pulls like hell until it dumps fuel. TBI, meth or port injection is really needed. If that was in place I'm sure it wouldn't have a problem peaking at 21psi in map 2. Our kill map so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      09-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #77
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Ok, so what's the consensus?! Is the JB4 not worth getting because of the limited increases possible due to the turbo?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #78
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5
Ok, so what's the consensus?! Is the JB4 not worth getting because of the limited increases possible due to the turbo?
The turbo is good for at the most 420whp. So it's worth it. We just have fueling limitations. Jb4 is def worth it if you ever plan on upgrading the turbo or fuel system. Along side a good flash it will be fantasic. We need to flash to help sort out the fuel scalers etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #79
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Alright, my fresh new JB4 arrived today and I just installed it.

I had just a quick test run, as I live in city center so not in position to properly test it.

Right now I'm running standard map1 with probably good 93 fuel as I managed to connect just MAP and TMAP plugs there is way more response in mid range, traction can be broken even easier now. I have to do at least an hour of drive and see how I like it.

Honestly not in a best mood to bring some conclusion, but I think it's worth it compared to other competitors.

If I find a chance, I will go to local dyno and do couple of runs with stock and map1 and post the results.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #80
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21

I had just a quick test run, as I live in city center so not in position to properly test it.

Right now I'm running standard map1 with probably good 93 fuel as I managed to connect just MAP and TMAP plugs there is way more response in mid range, traction can be broken even easier now. I have to do at least an hour of drive and see how I like it.

Honestly not in a best mood to bring some conclusion, but I think it's worth it compared to other competitors.

If I find a chance, I will go to local dyno and do couple of runs with stock and map1 and post the results.
I'm glad you got it all hooked up. If you go to the dyno it would be awesome if you would plug in the flex fuel connector and run an e25-30 mix in map 1 and 2 for us
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #81
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

I was hopping to do that but I simply can't get E85 or any type of E fuel in my country ....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #82
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
That's very strange it's targeting higher even in map 4. Have you messed with your FF or PID values?

Here's a log from yesterday. PID set to 8 versus 10. E30 mix 3rd gear about 90 degrees outside.

Second is with the FP-H value that I was having trouble with. This log looks great for some unknown reason.

There's some throttle closure early in 3rd gear from under 3k from MDM mode traction control.
Just realized something, my logs I had sent to Terry when I first got JB4 were all on firmware ewg7 (good fw) i have not had good results ever since updating to ewg8 (even racing other cars its hit or miss on this fw compared to ewg7) "DOH"

my PID were at 10 always, I even tried 12 last night on my last logs where I almost took off EWG wires to compare.

My FP_H are pretty good actually ; this is on map4 ? EWG wires on or off?

Quote:
Here's an example of a large dive In the HPFP on map 2. Pulls like hell until it dumps fuel. TBI, meth or port injection is really needed. If that was in place I'm sure it wouldn't have a problem peaking at 21psi in map 2. Our kill map so far.
Yep I run map2 only with e85 blend and FBO M235 FlashTuned only pass me after 100mph due to their weight advantage and also flash being more consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
You can but eventually you'll need the backend flash if you want consistency or best gains, or like I am still suggesting someone local to Custom Dyno Tune the car, not copy/paste if you want the best.

Quote:
The turbo is good for at the most 420whp. So it's worth it. We just have fueling limitations. Jb4 is def worth it if you ever plan on upgrading the turbo or fuel system. Along side a good flash it will be fantasic. We need to flash to help sort out the fuel scalers etc..
Agreed to a certain degree, until Terry has a dedicated M2 to test out we're still not sure whats 100% going on. Flash tuners still haven't finalized on the M2 either. proTUNING Freaks has the right idea though after speaking to 1 of their tuners he is developing something for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post

Map4 logs please first and foremost, do 3rd gear pull all the way to 5th gear and then another log from 40-100mph

start your thread here http://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Terry and Steve will look

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #83
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Try to find someone that sources C16 over there and mix it with pump fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #84
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just realized something, my logs I had sent to Terry when I first got JB4 were all on firmware ewg7 (good fw) i have not had good results ever since updating to ewg8 (even racing other cars its hit or miss on this fw compared to ewg7) "DOH"

my PID were at 10 always, I even tried 12 last night on my last logs where I almost took off EWG wires to compare.

My FP_H are pretty good actually ; this is on map4 ? EWG wires on or off?

Quote:
Yep I run map2 only with e85 blend and FBO M235 FlashTuned only pass me after 100mph due to their weight advantage and also flash being more consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
You can but eventually you'll need the backend flash if you want consistency or best gains, or like I am still suggesting someone local to Custom Dyno Tune the car, not copy/paste if you want the best.

Quote:
Agreed to a certain degree, until Terry has a dedicated M2 to test out we're still not sure whats 100% going on. Flash tuners still haven't finalized on the M2 either. proTUNING Freaks has the right idea though after speaking to 1 of their tuners he is developing something for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post

Map4 logs please first and foremost, do 3rd gear pull all the way to 5th gear and then another log from 40-100mph

start your thread here http://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Terry and Steve will look
My good log was map1 e30. The crash was map 2 e30
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #85
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
EWG wires on or not ?
Can you post some Map4 logs i want to see if your boost is over target like mine

My car was over boosting a little but now with EWG wires is worse thats when I started noticing boost spikes in map4. "Not sure what is going on there. You could remove the EWG connector to see if the problem persists. No reason map4 should not be right on target.

This image right here is on a Dyno you can see my map4

Terry thinks maybe bmw will do a software update to correct it or its some factory flaw ?
Attached Images

Last edited by FSociety; 09-08-2016 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
CIWS654.00
      09-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #86
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
EWG wires on or not ?
Can you post some Map4 logs i want to see if your boost if over target like mine

My car was over boosting a little but now with EWG wires is worse thats when I started noticing boost spikes in map4. "Not sure what is going on there. You could remove the EWG connector to see if the problem persists. No reason map4 should not be right on target.

This imagine right here is on a Dyno you can see my map4

Terry thinks maybe bmw will do a software update to correct it or its some factory flaw ?
Hey there, no EWG wires. It's strange and now I have this pcv code lurking over my head. No idea what it may be.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #87
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey there, no EWG wires. It's strange and now I have this pcv code lurking over my head. No idea what it may be.
Firmware doesn't matter Terry told me but my car is liking ewg7 and 9b much more than ewg8 even in map4, avg_ign is nicer for ex.

He said for me to evaluate map2, with the current firmware and FUA = 80 setting, PID 0 and FF 0.

The problem comes up at higher RPM when doing sustained runs, but what i'm clearly seeing is the Throttle Closures and of course the factory Overboost

Appreciate 1
CIWS654.00
      09-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #88
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

FSociety

Isn't Map4 stock map, or it's map1 with logging?

Just managed to hook everything up, so should start doing some test tomorrow.
Appreciate 0