BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Hidden exhaust mode in M2 (Traction Mode)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #199
gmzanatta
Colonel
gmzanatta's Avatar
Canada
1801
Rep
2,969
Posts

Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
In Canada we have been with the metric system for decades and we still don't quote in dorky KW and Nm.

Anyway the lack of desire or need to rev out today's high torque turbo engines has been a source of contention.
I've lived in Canada 15 years now, coming from a fully metric country, I would say they are "metric-light". Other than the speed limits on the roads, pretty much everyone talks in pounds, feet, inches, etc.

I'll bet $20 if I walk to person on the street and ask them how far 2 meters is, they would not have a sweet clue. If I ask them how far 6'6" is, most would get pretty close.

And let's not even get into the whole weight thing haha
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #200
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Bluenose-2er's Avatar
529
Rep
763
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Halifax

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
I've lived in Canada 15 years now, coming from a fully metric country, I would say they are "metric-light". Other than the speed limits on the roads, pretty much everyone talks in pounds, feet, inches, etc.

I'll bet $20 if I walk to person on the street and ask them how far 2 meters is, they would not have a sweet clue. If I ask them how far 6'6" is, most would get pretty close.

And let's not even get into the whole weight thing haha
I prefer to think of it as "frankenmetric"
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #201
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
543
Rep
2,632
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (2)

I have a hard time keeping it under 4k,
can't imagine owning an M2 and not going over 4k.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #202
ryem3
Major
ryem3's Avatar
United_States
912
Rep
1,249
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp HS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rye, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I have a hard time keeping it under 4k,
can't imagine owning an M2 and not going over 4k.
Exactly. I'm over 4k on every shift lol.
Old news, but does everyone notice this is "traction" mode?! The crackling is almost embarrassing! In that mode I agree that the throttle response remains like in comfort mode, which makes it a compromise. Also, doesn't it seem like the exhaust flaps are closed? Exhaust tone on acceleration seems quieter to me.
I'll also add my comment here to the wimps that think driving in M dynamic is "dangerous" due to limited traction control. Utterly ridiculous. Traction control is still way to invasive. This car is still a long way from a Porsche in terms of dynamic traction control. The light comes on way before the car gets sideways.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #203
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
543
Rep
2,632
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I have a hard time keeping it under 4k,
can't imagine owning an M2 and not going over 4k.
Exactly. I'm over 4k on every shift lol.
Old news, but does everyone notice this is "traction" mode?! The crackling is almost embarrassing! In that mode I agree that the throttle response remains like in comfort mode, which makes it a compromise. Also, doesn't it seem like the exhaust flaps are closed? Exhaust tone on acceleration seems quieter to me.
I'll also add my comment here to the wimps that think driving in M dynamic is "dangerous" due to limited traction control. Utterly ridiculous. Traction control is still way to invasive. This car is still a long way from a Porsche in terms of dynamic traction control. The light comes on way before the car gets sideways.
i want to try the Euro MDM actually as it's meant to be much less invasive.

Traction mode is same settings as comfort mode, except MDM is enabled. I love the burblea and pops haha. Not embarrassing.

I got a rock stuck in my brake shield, that was embarrassing!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #204
gmzanatta
Colonel
gmzanatta's Avatar
Canada
1801
Rep
2,969
Posts

Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
i want to try the Euro MDM actually as it's meant to be much less invasive.

Traction mode is same settings as comfort mode, except MDM is enabled. I love the burblea and pops haha. Not embarrassing.

I got a rock stuck in my brake shield, that was embarrassing!
Euro MDM is the same as traction mode, just with a little bit more wheel play. Turning on Sport or Sport+ makes no difference in driving compared to old MDM, which defeats the purpose.

I programmed it to my car to use during the winter, works great for letting enough wheelspin happen if you're stuck or drifting.

Last edited by gmzanatta; 05-10-2017 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Edited for clarity
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #205
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
543
Rep
2,632
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (2)

How is Euro MDM same as Traction mode?

Traction mode = Comfort + MDM

I didn't see anything in the docs by BMW that the MDM in Traction mode is different than MDM in any other mode (except comfort which is full DTC)

When you code Euro MDM, it replaces regular MDM. So whenever MDM is enabled, it's now Euro MDM. Basically MDM is either on or not, and it is either Euro spec or US spec. Coding Euro MDM changes only the spec. However, there is still only one version of MDM available in the car at any given moment, regardless of driving mode, which only dictates if MDM (whichever spec you have) is on or off.

You can configure sport or sport+
I have both set to use MDM
So Euro (or whichever spec) MDM will still be on in those modes.
I've read on the M2 the Euro MDM actually noticeably allows more play before intervening, but without trying myself won't know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #206
pmilani
Private
pmilani's Avatar
Italy
38
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: M3 CS (LRG)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
I'll also add my comment here to the wimps that think driving in M dynamic is "dangerous" due to limited traction control. Utterly ridiculous. Traction control is still way to invasive. This car is still a long way from a Porsche in terms of dynamic traction control. The light comes on way before the car gets sideways.
And traction control comes on way before the light turns on. The light is there to say "hey aren't you noticing the car is sliding?"
I urge every owner to take the car to a nice wide space off the road, to safely experiment with the levels of spinning and how traction control feels in the different modes.
I've driven the car for 2 months now. I tried every possible combination and I can assure you it behaves quite diversely. I've come to noticing that only DSC OFF gives a great feel of amazing connection between steering/accel and the wheels. In any mode now I can quite tell there is something mediating all inputs. Different levels of subtlety but there is lots of cutting power going on very often.
For normal street driving comfort and sport are totally safe. If you get to know it and don't exaggerate on purpose also MDM can be good (so that'd be in both the TRACTION mode and Sport+).
Appreciate 1
ddk632542.50

      05-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #207
gmzanatta
Colonel
gmzanatta's Avatar
Canada
1801
Rep
2,969
Posts

Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
How is Euro MDM same as Traction mode?

Traction mode = Comfort + MDM

I didn't see anything in the docs by BMW that the MDM in Traction mode is different than MDM in any other mode (except comfort which is full DTC)

When you code Euro MDM, it replaces regular MDM. So whenever MDM is enabled, it's now Euro MDM. Basically MDM is either on or not, and it is either Euro spec or US spec. Coding Euro MDM changes only the spec. However, there is still only one version of MDM available in the car at any given moment, regardless of driving mode, which only dictates if MDM (whichever spec you have) is on or off.

You can configure sport or sport+
I have both set to use MDM
So Euro (or whichever spec) MDM will still be on in those modes.
I've read on the M2 the Euro MDM actually noticeably allows more play before intervening, but without trying myself won't know for sure.
I respectfully disagree. I have Euro MDM coded on my car, as you describe above, and in Sport and Sport+ there is absolutely no difference between it and regular MDM. I will fix the wording on my post so this is clear.

I only saw a real difference in traction mode, as it did truly allow the wheels to spin noticeably more when the car was driving through deep snow.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #208
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
543
Rep
2,632
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
I respectfully disagree. I have Euro MDM coded on my car, as you describe above, and in Sport and Sport+ there is absolutely no difference between it and regular MDM. I will fix the wording on my post so this is clear.

I only saw a real difference in traction mode, as it did truly allow the wheels to spin noticeably more when the car was driving through deep snow.
Ok that is bizarre. There's something about Traction mode I think might be undocumented.

I thought you were trying to say that MDM is not enabled at all in sport or sport +, as in, those modes put the DSC back to fully on, which is what I was explaining.

I don't notice any difference in stock MDM in Traction mode vs Sport or Sport+ but usually I only use traction mode to roll around slowly and just let off the gas to hear the burbles at low speed. When I'm on it it's always in Sport+
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #209
EnzoBow
New Member
11
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: F87 BMW M2 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Vietnam

iTrader: (0)

In the M2 it calls TRACTION mode. it actually COMFORT mode + limited stability
In this mode the exhaust valve is always open.
__________________
instagram: @mpowervn
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #210
izzyM2
Captain
izzyM2's Avatar
United_States
341
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: M2C/BBCTR/96M Miata/GLC63
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southbay

iTrader: (3)

Love this mode. I love sporty driving but I like to think I'm a practical dude too and when cruising I just drive in comfort and manual DCT and this is just a big bonus making me grin to point people think I must really have a happy life.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #211
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
543
Rep
2,632
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (2)

Of course you have a happy life.
You drive an M2.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #212
akkando
Brigadier General
3708
Rep
4,917
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM2 View Post
Love this mode. I love sporty driving but I like to think I'm a practical dude too and when cruising I just drive in comfort and manual DCT and this is just a big bonus making me grin to point people think I must really have a happy life.

I can't stand comfort throttle unless I am in traffic. I pretty much always drive in Sport when the car is not "cold" With the DCT I find the more violent gear changes in Sport+ kind of annoying unless I'm in that kind mood. The gear changes fast and smooth in Sport when I hit the paddles or the knob, but in comfort the gear changes feel so lazy!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #213
XutvJet
Brigadier General
3126
Rep
3,923
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilani View Post
I've come to noticing that only DSC OFF gives a great feel of amazing connection between steering/accel and the wheels. In any mode now I can quite tell there is something mediating all inputs. Different levels of subtlety but there is lots of cutting power going on very often.
^This. I don't have an M2, but my M235 behaves the same exact way. There are clearly nannies at play in all modes except DSC OFF. DSC OFF is by far the best mode by a mile if you like to drive and feel what the car is doing under moderate to hard driving. Under harder acceleration (~60+% throttle) boost and/or throttle is being cut in gears 1 and 2 in the M235 in all modes expect DSC OFF (confirmed this with my Torque on multiple occasions). I'm sure the M2 is the same and I bet even in 3rd, the M2 is cutting power. BMW has gone to great lengths to make the turbo power delivery more linear and in most modes, "comfortable".

It's so funny to hear people talk about how frightening and dangerous it is to drive a higher powered car with no nannies looming in the background. I had a modified 1994 Z28 back in college. That car had ABS; that's it. The car weighed 3,300lbs and made 290whp/330wtq. I didn't wreck it, put it in a ditch, etc. and I still managed to drive around in the snow with it on all season tires and in a hilly town no less. My roommate had a modded 1990 Mustang 5.0. That too didn't get wrecked. Did these cars, including my M235, sometimes get loose in hard driving or in poor conditions? Sure but it teaches you chassis dynamics and how to read/feel the tires and chassis. I'm not saying go out a drive like an a-hole on public roads, but you really are missing out on the experience if you don't see what DSC OFF is all about.

Lastly, the Comfort throttle (which is used in DSC OFF) in my M235 is rather numb for a 6MT. I'm currently running a Sprint Booster V3 and have upped throttle response about 15% and it made a world of difference when driving in Comfort, Traction Off (i.e., the "Hidden Exhaust Mode"), DSC OFF, and Sport (chassis only setting). I found the Sport throttle too aggressive and hard to manipulate for smooth 6MT driving.

Last edited by XutvJet; 05-10-2017 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #214
ryem3
Major
ryem3's Avatar
United_States
912
Rep
1,249
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp HS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rye, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
^This. I don't have an M2, but my M235 behaves the same exact way. There are clearly nannies at play in all modes except DSC OFF. DSC OFF is by far the best mode by a mile if you like to drive and feel what the car is doing under moderate to hard driving. Under harder acceleration (~60+% throttle) boost and/or throttle is being cut in gears 1 and 2 in the M235 in all modes expect DSC OFF (confirmed this with my Torque on multiple occasions). I'm sure the M2 is the same and I bet even in 3rd, the M2 is cutting power. BMW has gone to great lengths to make the turbo power delivery more linear and in most modes, "comfortable".

It's so funny to hear people talk about how frightening and dangerous it is to drive a higher powered car with no nannies looming in the background. I had a modified 1994 Z28 back in college. That car had ABS; that's it. The car weighed 3,300lbs and made 290whp/330wtq. I didn't wreck it, put it in a ditch, etc. and I still managed to drive around in the snow with it on all season tires and in a hilly town no less. My roommate had a modded 1990 Mustang 5.0. That too didn't get wrecked. Did these cars, including my M235, sometimes get loose in hard driving or in poor conditions? Sure but it teaches you chassis dynamics and how to read/feel the tires and chassis. I'm not saying go out a drive like an a-hole on public roads, but you really are missing out on the experience if you don't see what DSC OFF is all about.

Lastly, the Comfort throttle (which is used in DSC OFF) in my M235 is rather numb for a 6MT. I'm currently running a Sprint Booster V3 and have upped throttle response about 15% and it made a world of difference when driving in Comfort, Traction Off (i.e., the "Hidden Exhaust Mode"), DSC OFF, and Sport (chassis only setting). I found the Sport throttle too aggressive and hard to manipulate for smooth 6MT driving.
Wow, at least someone else on this board has driven a car before! If you haven't driven one / owned one, I highly recommend trying a 911. You can leave traction control on all the time. I had a 2011 turbo. You can get the car sideways before the light even comes on. BMW has gone way too far to protect us from ourselves. This MDM mode is even bullshit. Bad enough we need to select something different every time we get in the car, but it still isn't that well engineered.

I need to check the traction mode some more. Still didn't seem to me that the exhaust flaps were open all the time. Also don't agree that MDM mode puts the steering and throttle in Sport, seems Traction is otherwise still Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #215
izzyM2
Captain
izzyM2's Avatar
United_States
341
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: M2C/BBCTR/96M Miata/GLC63
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southbay

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Of course you have a happy life.
You drive an M2.
:happy anim:
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #216
ryem3
Major
ryem3's Avatar
United_States
912
Rep
1,249
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp HS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rye, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post

Traction mode is same settings as comfort mode, except MDM is enabled. I love the burblea and pops haha. Not embarrassing.
Yep, agreed. I believe in the beginning of this thread it suggested you need to active Traction immediately after start up. I've found this not to be true, you can activate it any time. Even from Sport +, just press the traction button and it's activated. Burbling away. I'm a little disappointed with the throttle response as well though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #217
m34m
Lieutenant
515
Rep
524
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Ok I have a stupid question but here it is. I took delivery of my car the other day and I absolutely love this car. I find traction mode coupled with track mode on the MPE intoxicating. Is it detrimental in any way to the car to use this mode or these modes regularly? I find myself constantly in these modes.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 03:20 AM   #218
Smiley1175
Major
Smiley1175's Avatar
Australia
274
Rep
1,017
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Ok I have a stupid question but here it is. I took delivery of my car the other day and I absolutely love this car. I find traction mode coupled with track mode on the MPE intoxicating. Is it detrimental in any way to the car to use this mode or these modes regularly? I find myself constantly in these modes.
I find myself doing the same, soon as I'm a few metres away from my street. I'd like to keep my neighbours happy for as long as I can.

I can't see any downside to driving in this mode, other than the bluetooth module battery dying sooner as it's flashing regularly.

Enjoy the sound, but keep in mind it's a lot louder from the outside.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #219
FANBMWM
If in doubt flat out - Colin Mcrae
FANBMWM's Avatar
Poland
116
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI SMB M2 LCI LBB
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Warsaw

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 BMW 760li  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Here's a video of my MPE exhaust tested/filmed by a friend. He shows several modes, including the 'COMFORT' + 'DSC OFF' mode. My M2 has a manual transmission. Of course it all sounds even better when on the move under load.



My older videos of the MPE cold start sequence:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1267721
1:14

i think i just came

Please tell me that Akrapovic sounds the same
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #220
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Benef1cient's Avatar
Poland
280
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Poland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANBMWM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Here's a video of my MPE exhaust tested/filmed by a friend. He shows several modes, including the 'COMFORT' + 'DSC OFF' mode. My M2 has a manual transmission. Of course it all sounds even better when on the move under load.



My older videos of the MPE cold start sequence:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1267721
1:14

i think i just came

Please tell me that Akrapovic sounds the same
Nope, it's different.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST