BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > I'm a victim of theft (burglary into my car with damage)

02-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I'm a victim of theft (burglary into my car with damage)

A few days ago, a few car burglars entered my building's car parking and stole a Kia SUV. Unfortunately, my car parked in front of the Kia and I have a camera that can take videos when it detects movement (although I have disabled this feature) so they didn't take any chance and took the camera. How do I know that this is the case? I don't but I also have a Cheetah and Valentine 1 which costs a lot more then the camera so it5 sounds reasonable that this is the case.
If you want to ask why steal Kia and not M2 I can answer quite easily. They do not use the car as it is. They take it apart and sell the parts.
Here, a new M2 starts at 170K USD so there are less than 50 of those and there are tens of thousands Kia SUVs.

My insurance provided a new window for free but it is not original and I'm not satisfied with the job they did. The noise reduction is not as good as it was so I'm planning to pay for that with an original one. On top of that, they have used a screw driver to break the window so they have damaged what you can see in the third picture (no idea what's the word in English)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

That just sucks so bad, sorry man. They may have discovered that the M2 was not so easy to steal?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Sorry to hear. 6MT or DCT? If former, then I'm guessing that could be a playing factor as to why your car wasnt stolen.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
That just sucks so bad, sorry man. They may have discovered that the M2 was not so easy to steal?
Of course the M2 is more protected than the Kia but I still think that the reason is the one I have mentioned above.
I know that once a Ferrari 458 had been stolen (730K USD) but they drove it for a few hours and left it on the side of one of the roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #5
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
Sorry to hear. 6MT or DCT? If former, then I'm guessing that could be a playing factor as to why your car wasnt stolen.
DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Really sorry to hear...I will never understand the lack of respect for other people's property.

Agreed with what you said, probably not much of a black market for M2 parts. A neighbor of mine found his Chevy Tahoe on blocks TWICE within a year. Obviously parts they could easily sell. My bimmer was parked across the street from him and went untouched both times.

Hope you can get your car back into the condition you would like.
Appreciate 1
kingikra120.00
      02-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
GiacomoH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
Maybe in North America
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #8
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoH View Post
Maybe in North America
That is so true. I'm afraid to take my 6MT to Valet parking.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
Picoschu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 E39 M5, 01 325iT, 17 328dxT

what did they take from your car if it was apparent they were not trying to steal the vehicle?

In your 3rd picture it seems like they damaged the window trim, which should be easily replaced by your insurance along with window.

I've had my car broken into twice, in two different vehicles, on separate occasions. I learned my lesson to never leave anything visible inside my car. Not even USB cords. I hide absolutely everything. Most thieves who are looking for a quick smash-n-grab will only break into a vehicle if you have something that could easily be seen and in reach. I'm sorry this happened to you, I know how it feels. Although it is hard to sympathize for those who leave their purse/laptop/expensive equipment in plain sight for a thief.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picoschu View Post
what did they take from your car if it was apparent they were not trying to steal the vehicle?

In your 3rd picture it seems like they damaged the window trim, which should be easily replaced by your insurance along with window.

I've had my car broken into twice, in two different vehicles, on separate occasions. I learned my lesson to never leave anything visible inside my car. Not even USB cords. I hide absolutely everything. Most thieves who are looking for a quick smash-n-grab will only break into a vehicle if you have something that could easily be seen and in reach. I'm sorry this happened to you, I know how it feels. Although it is hard to sympathize for those who leave their purse/laptop/expensive equipment in plain sight for a thief.
I think OP said they stole the Kia in front of his car and saw he had a camera so they broke into his car to steal his camera.
Appreciate 1
kingikra120.00
      02-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picoschu View Post

As for your first question, EM240 has already answered.
I can't replace anything using my insurance. I had an accident with my ATS-V 3 years ago and this year I'm paying 3800 USD instead of only 2600 USD if I hadn't done the complaint. The part of my insurance that had fixed the window, only fixes windows and that doesn't count as complaint.

I had a lease car from work which had been broken in because I have left a bag in the passenger seat long time ago. Since then I don't leave any bag, laptop or purse. The camera that had been stolen worse something like 30 bucks.
Appreciate 0