BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #419
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
310
Rep
1,649
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GEORGIA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I wish the answer was this easy but lots of factors play a role with pricing including type of intercooler (tube & fin vs bar and plate), fin density, finish quality and wields, R&D and testing performed in the design stages, manufacturing country & the profit margin set by the manufacturer



Thats why data is so important. Look for manufacturer or user posted info on temp control, pressure air drop, recovery and weight of the intercooler.

Truth is, cheaper intercoolers do not target the same audience as the more expensive ones. It depends on your mods, HP, etc...
Thats why companies like VRSF and Wagner Tuning offer different tiers of intercoolers.

If you need help picking the correct intercooler, send me your modifications and i can provide you with a few options
By that reasoning then the VRSF stuff is inferior to the Wagner for example.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #420
3t3p
First Lieutenant
56
Rep
348
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Boost pipe is solid enough even on tuned engines? If so tempted to leave it!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #421
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
310
Rep
1,649
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GEORGIA

iTrader: (0)

VRSF = $500
WAGNER = $800

Both top tier. Why should I spend $300 more.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #422
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
310
Rep
1,649
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GEORGIA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Boost pipe is solid enough even on tuned engines? If so tempted to leave it!
All I've heard is that the stock pipe is weaker and prone to splitting. The aftermarket pipes that I have researched are the same size.

I've been waiting for an answer to the charge pipe size a long time. Still waiting.

A more efficient FMIC makes sense. Colder air is better. Thermodynamics 101.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #423
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
206
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
VRSF = $500
WAGNER = $800

Both top tier. Why should I spend $300 more.
Look at CFS also and always beware of purchasing anything from any company that does not have phone support.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #424
akkando
Brigadier General
3233
Rep
4,286
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
VRSF = $500
WAGNER = $800

Both top tier. Why should I spend $300 more.
The Wagner probably fits better and the $800 in tube and fin design so it's lighter, should have less turbo lag, and should dissipate heat faster when it's heat soaked as the air flows through it better. Also consider customer service if there is an issue, VRSF was not the easiest to get ahold of when I was sent the wrong item. It took a long time to get through the process and get the correct item sent to me.

The VRSF intercooler probably doesn't heat soak as quick as the Wagner Evo comp 2, but once it is heat soaked it should take longer to cool down.


For me I was most concerned about turbo lag and liked that the Wagner would cool reasonably quick when air flowed through it when not in throttle.


I hear the ATM intercooler is great though as well.
Appreciate 1
JTO242486.50

      12-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #425
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
206
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Also consider customer service if there is an issue, VRSF was not the easiest to get ahold of when I was sent the wrong item. It took a long time to get through the process and get the correct item sent to me.
There's nothing worse than having your vehicle down and having to sit on your hands for an e-mail, sometimes for days.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #426
AmuroRay
Second Lieutenant
61
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
VRSF = $500
WAGNER = $800

Both top tier. Why should I spend $300 more.
Add in ATM/CSF into that

Which one is the best out of the 3?
__________________
FBO - Stage FP Custom tune with MHD.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #427
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11282
Rep
123,601
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
By that reasoning then the VRSF stuff is inferior to the Wagner for example.
When i said cheaper intercooler, i was not comparing the different brands.
I was comparing the different intercoolers within the same brand.


Wagner EVO I performance intercoolers does not target the same audience as the Wagner EVO II Comp intercooler

Wagner EVO I is the better option for a stock car, Wagner EVO II is the better option for a stage 2 . Wagner EVO III is best for upgraded turbo.

Being more expensive does not mean its better. Different intercoolers are meant for different applications.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #428
3t3p
First Lieutenant
56
Rep
348
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

FWIW do88 on their site claim turbo outlet tubing and chargepipe to have greater flow than stock parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #429
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
United_States
1880
Rep
40,709
Posts


Drives: F82 M4, M6 GC, F85 X5M, F90 M5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (99)

Garage List
Just wanted to update everyone before the new year, if anyone is looking for the best performing intercooler available in terms of heat dissipation, please note that the VRSF 6.5" Race HD currently holds the N55 world record in the 1/4 mile.

Logs below, thanks to Juan over at BigBoost for trusting us with his 10 second monster. @bigboostturbo





__________________
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #430
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11282
Rep
123,601
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Just wanted to update everyone before the new year, if anyone is looking for the best performing intercooler available in terms of heat dissipation, please note that the VRSF 6.5" Race HD currently holds the N55 world record in the 1/4 mile.

Logs below, thanks to Juan over at BigBoost for trusting us with his 10 second monster. @bigboostturbo





Impressive
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:31 PM   #431
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
206
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

Looks like Pure has a 10 sec car with a Wagner inter-cooler too.

F20 135xi N55

Mods:
- PureTurbos Stage2 turbo
- Fuel-It fuelling upgrades
- Wagner Tuning downpipe and intercooler
- Burger Motorsports jb4 tune

1/4 Mile Result: 10.984 @ 204.412 kph


EDIT, that was actually back in 2017.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #432
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
United_States
1880
Rep
40,709
Posts


Drives: F82 M4, M6 GC, F85 X5M, F90 M5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (99)

Garage List
Impressive feat without a doubt but it's not a record holding run
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:05 PM   #433
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
46
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2016 m235i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: miami

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, great discussion!
Is there any advantage to running an aftermarket intercooler on a stock 2016 M2 (just thinking of adding an Active Autowerks catted DP).
I have noticed after a hard full-throttle pull, it wont pull as hard anymore (heat soak?). I live in Miami where it is regularly in the 85-95 degrees and humid. I've been googling and someone said its cheaper and a better first-step to upgrade the "heat exchanger", not the entire intercooler. That threw me off, I thought the intercooler was a heat exchanger.
Anyhow, would love all your thoughts so I can learn more!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:12 PM   #434
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11282
Rep
123,601
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM235iEstorilBlue View Post
Hey guys, great discussion!
Is there any advantage to running an aftermarket intercooler on a stock 2016 M2 (just thinking of adding an Active Autowerks catted DP).
I have noticed after a hard full-throttle pull, it wont pull as hard anymore (heat soak?). I live in Miami where it is regularly in the 85-95 degrees and humid. I've been googling and someone said its cheaper and a better first-step to upgrade the "heat exchanger", not the entire intercooler. That threw me off, I thought the intercooler was a heat exchanger.
Anyhow, would love all your thoughts so I can learn more!
if the car feels sluggish, upgrade the intercooler.
get a 5" core for best result
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #435
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
46
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2016 m235i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
if the car feels sluggish, upgrade the intercooler.
get a 5" core for best result
Given I have a totally stock car, which do you recommend for the street that is hopefully well made, not too expensive, and wont see a pressure drop? The only other mods Im considering are a better flowing exhaust and a catted DP.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #436
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11282
Rep
123,601
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM235iEstorilBlue View Post
Given I have a totally stock car, which do you recommend for the street that is hopefully well made, not too expensive, and wont see a pressure drop? The only other mods Im considering are a better flowing exhaust and a catted DP.
Wagner EVO I , VRSF 5" HD, Active Autowerke
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #437
AmuroRay
Second Lieutenant
61
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Impressive
Good for us stock turbo guys? Does it require cutting?
__________________
FBO - Stage FP Custom tune with MHD.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:03 AM   #438
TemjinX2
Major
483
Rep
1,403
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas,NV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM235iEstorilBlue View Post
Hey guys, great discussion!
Is there any advantage to running an aftermarket intercooler on a stock 2016 M2 (just thinking of adding an Active Autowerks catted DP).
I have noticed after a hard full-throttle pull, it wont pull as hard anymore (heat soak?). I live in Miami where it is regularly in the 85-95 degrees and humid. I've been googling and someone said its cheaper and a better first-step to upgrade the "heat exchanger", not the entire intercooler. That threw me off, I thought the intercooler was a heat exchanger.
Anyhow, would love all your thoughts so I can learn more!
heat exchangers are for air to water systems. the n55 is air to air so you would need to upgrade your intercooler.

your correct its probably heat soak given the ambient temps. the stock intercooler sux, its the same one as the 4 cylinder cars. i say just get a intercooler and go with the stage 2 tune and go stage 2+ once you get your catted dp
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2020, 02:05 AM   #439
TemjinX2
Major
483
Rep
1,403
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas,NV

iTrader: (0)

just to add...i just installed my csf intercooler which is a 5.5inch and it barely fit my m2 without hitting the cross braces. I there's probably .5inch or less between the csf intercooler and cross braces. i dunno how anyone would be able to fit a 6.5inch intercooler on the m2 without taking out the bottom cross braces.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #440
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
206
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
just to add...i just installed my csf intercooler which is a 5.5inch and it barely fit my m2 without hitting the cross braces. I there's probably .5inch or less between the csf intercooler and cross braces. i dunno how anyone would be able to fit a 6.5inch intercooler on the m2 without taking out the bottom cross braces.
You can't. VRSF advertises that you can but that's not true. If you force the intercooler in with the braces in place it ends up being jammed up on the braces and condenser which will eventually rub holes in both. The tabs for the cooling fan won't reach the fan housing either.
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2483.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST