BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
macantonioc
New Member
6
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2005 Evo MR
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

M Performance Exhaust

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
What do you guys think of the sound of the M Performance exhaust? I really like the stock sound as it is but also starting to like this one as well.

Video posted by Alaatin61 from the Netherlands (sound inside building):



Video posted by Sébastien Cosse (sound outside). White safety M2 arrives in the background:



Video posted by bimmerpost (sound outside)



The one posted by bimmerpost I believe has the carbon fiber tips, not sure about the other two videos. Also not sure if flaps are open or closed. Pretty sure they are open in the first video!

Thanks all
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
csbear
Captain
csbear's Avatar
974
Rep
969
Posts

Drives: SO M2C
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (0)

With the introduction of the Tesla Model 3 (which is a cool car), I can see a dark future.. where loud exhausts mated with strong ICE engines are dying a slow death. Gone will be the days when one could appreciate the roar and burbles of these devices we all cherish. So... I want my cars for the time being to be somewhat loud and mechanically rambunctious. I will be getting the MPE for the M2...maybe even an Akra down the line if I didn't go M Performance.

From all the videos I have seen (heard), the difference between the stock and M performance exhaust is pretty distinct. The stock sounds great on the M2; as BMW learned a lesson from the F80/82 mishap. But man... I am really liking the M Perf sound, at least from videos!

Ideally I want:
-LBB M2, exec, manual (I am having some DCT thoughts since I have driven stick my entire life..lol)
-MPE
-M Perf coilovers (price a deterrent here)
-Black kidney grills, side gills, CF spoiler

That's the M2 build I drool over everyday... Rear diffuser would be nice, but then I am going above my original costs..

Last edited by csbear; 04-05-2016 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4414
Rep
3,542
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

I'm ordering MPE for sure. Hopefully, it will be installed at the port. I know the stock sounds really good but MPE sounds even better
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
311
Rep
530
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

MPE sounds so good. The price is hard to get around, but I'm thinking of just biting the bullet. It'll really elevate/transform the feel and thrill factor of the car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
311
Rep
530
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I'm ordering MPE for sure. Hopefully, it will be installed at the port. I know the stock sounds really good but MPE sounds even better
Did you already order your car/when are you expecting? (Being in the Bay) I'm hoping to hear the MPE in person before I pull the trigger
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
///M2-PILOT's Avatar
United_States
309
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the cockpit

iTrader: (0)

Cost/Performance ratio doesn't make any sense to me on the MPE, I'm waiting on a weight savings/performance gain that will earn my hard earned cash...
__________________
///M2 - LBB - EXEC - M-DCT
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
11268
Rep
9,871
Posts

Drives: BMW M2C (BSM)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

MPE at work:
__________________
///M is art Artemis
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
198
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: M2, finally
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

$3k for a muffler (without tips )is absolutely insane. I'd rather spend a few hundred on a downpipe and get even better sound AND a performance boost. Again, this is just a muffler not a full exhaust.
Appreciate 3
      04-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4414
Rep
3,542
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
Did you already order your car/when are you expecting? (Being in the Bay) I'm hoping to hear the MPE in person before I pull the trigger
I'm #1 at Stevens Creek and currently waiting for an allocation. I already filled out the order sheet and it's in the order bank. Unfortunately, I don't think I will take the delivery before July based on current uncertainty. But when I get my car, I would be happy to meet for you to take look.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
311
Rep
530
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I'm #1 at Stevens Creek and currently waiting for an allocation. I already filled out the order sheet and it's in the order bank. Unfortunately, I don't think I will take the delivery before July based on current uncertainty. But when I get my car, I would be happy to meet for you to take look.
I'm in the same boat. I went through Cartelligent in Sausalito, and I believe the order is via Stevens Creek too. I've been told September-November. Let the waiting game continue... I'll definitely take you up on that offer though
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
Benzima
Colonel
Benzima's Avatar
1218
Rep
2,903
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Montreal, CANADA

iTrader: (0)

MPE will be installed from day #1! I want a loud car!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #12
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
215
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: BSM M2
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Stockholm

iTrader: (0)

wait until you hear the akra
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #13
AGAV13
Captain
AGAV13's Avatar
United_States
320
Rep
897
Posts

Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT 860

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima
MPE will be installed from day #1! I want a loud car!
It's loud in stock form and what I believe is a perfect sounding stock exhaust.
__________________
CURRENT
2017 Boxster S ?718? (07/27/18)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon - (10/28/18)
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #14
FrankMPower
CalcioGuy
FrankMPower's Avatar
Canada
50
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: 2019
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
MPE at work:
This little gadget come standard with the M2 or just when you buy MPE?
__________________
Waiting for my 2019 M2 Comp. in september!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
7833
Rep
11,819
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

BMW is taking food off the plates of aftermarket tuners ...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #16
kgroschi
Captain
kgroschi's Avatar
Germany
474
Rep
958
Posts

Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Munich and Los Angeles (O.C.)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
With the introduction of the Tesla Model 3 (which is a cool car), I can see a dark future.. where loud exhausts mated with strong ICE engines are dying a slow death. Gone will be the days when one could appreciate the roar and burbles of these devices we all cherish. So... I want my cars for the time being to be somewhat loud and mechanically rambunctious. I will be getting the MPE for the M2...maybe even an Akra down the line if I didn't go M Performance.

From all the videos I have seen (heard), the difference between the stock and M performance exhaust is pretty distinct. The stock sounds great on the M2; as BMW learned a lesson from the F80/82 mishap. But man... I am really liking the M Perf sound, at least from videos!

I very much agree with you.
__________________

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #17
Norsk
Major
Norsk's Avatar
Norway
34
Rep
1,096
Posts

Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

+1 on Model 3

18 months and bye bye fossil fuel car


Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
With the introduction of the Tesla Model 3 (which is a cool car), I can see a dark future.. where loud exhausts mated with strong ICE engines are dying a slow death. Gone will be the days when one could appreciate the roar and burbles of these devices we all cherish. So... I want my cars for the time being to be somewhat loud and mechanically rambunctious. I will be getting the MPE for the M2...maybe even an Akra down the line if I didn't go M Performance.

From all the videos I have seen (heard), the difference between the stock and M performance exhaust is pretty distinct. The stock sounds great on the M2; as BMW learned a lesson from the F80/82 mishap. But man... I am really liking the M Perf sound, at least from videos!

Ideally I want:
-LBB M2, exec, manual (I am having some DCT thoughts since I have driven stick my entire life..lol)
-MPE
-M Perf coilovers (price a deterrent here)
-Black kidney grills, side gills, CF spoiler

That's the M2 build I drool over everyday... Rear diffuser would be nice, but then I am going above my original costs..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #18
hoyasaxa
Captain
508
Rep
841
Posts

Drives: GTI | M2
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk
+1 on Model 3

18 months and bye bye fossil fuel car


Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
With the introduction of the Tesla Model 3 (which is a cool car), I can see a dark future.. where loud exhausts mated with strong ICE engines are dying a slow death. Gone will be the days when one could appreciate the roar and burbles of these devices we all cherish. So... I want my cars for the time being to be somewhat loud and mechanically rambunctious. I will be getting the MPE for the M2...maybe even an Akra down the line if I didn't go M Performance.

From all the videos I have seen (heard), the difference between the stock and M performance exhaust is pretty distinct. The stock sounds great on the M2; as BMW learned a lesson from the F80/82 mishap. But man... I am really liking the M Perf sound, at least from videos!

Ideally I want:
-LBB M2, exec, manual (I am having some DCT thoughts since I have driven stick my entire life..lol)
-MPE
-M Perf coilovers (price a deterrent here)
-Black kidney grills, side gills, CF spoiler

That's the M2 build I drool over everyday... Rear diffuser would be nice, but then I am going above my original costs..
The issue of federal tax credits running out by the time the Model 3 is on sale is interesting to me.
__________________
2014 228i (gone) | 2018 ///M2 - ED Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #19
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
289
Rep
1,339
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky
$3k for a muffler (without tips )is absolutely insane. I'd rather spend a few hundred on a downpipe and get even better sound AND a performance boost. Again, this is just a muffler not a full exhaust.
You can buy a nice used motorcycle for that price.
Appreciate 2
ewohar12.50

      04-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #20
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
Bosozoku's Avatar
United_States
654
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I'm #1 at Stevens Creek and currently waiting for an allocation. I already filled out the order sheet and it's in the order bank. Unfortunately, I don't think I will take the delivery before July based on current uncertainty. But when I get my car, I would be happy to meet for you to take look.
Are you planning to go to the BMW 100th anniversary event at Laguna?
It's mid-August. BMWCCA Oktoberfest etc.
You'd be one of the cool guys if you bring your M2 !!
__________________
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Rogue Engineering strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner rear shifter bushing)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #21
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4414
Rep
3,542
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I'm #1 at Stevens Creek and currently waiting for an allocation. I already filled out the order sheet and it's in the order bank. Unfortunately, I don't think I will take the delivery before July based on current uncertainty. But when I get my car, I would be happy to meet for you to take look.
Are you planning to go to the BMW 100th anniversary event at Laguna?
It's mid-August. BMWCCA Oktoberfest etc.
You'd be one of the cool guys if you bring your M2 !!
I will definitely be there with some of my friends and of course my M2 will be there too.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #22
Powaup
Brigadier General
Powaup's Avatar
United_States
1100
Rep
3,653
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky View Post
$3k for a muffler (without tips )is absolutely insane. I'd rather spend a few hundred on a downpipe and get even better sound AND a performance boost. Again, this is just a muffler not a full exhaust.
THIS^^ should be a proper catback for that price
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST