BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best track alignment - stock suspension

06-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Best track alignment - stock suspension

M2C - stock suspension/wheels/tires

I'm getting an alignment done after having the LCA monoballs installed and I wan't to make sure I get the best possible alignment for my next track day.

Is there anything I need to let know shop know on how to set it up best for the track? Front/Rear negative camber? What about toe?

Thanks.
      06-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Do you have camber plates? Without them you won't get anywhere close to a track alignment, the stock adjustment is very limited. You can ask them to max out the front camber but adjust ability is so limited you may as well go for stock alignment.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

I'm going to assume you're referring to having the front UCAs or tension struts installed with monoballs

As noted by others in your earlier thread, the LCAs or wishbones already have sealed ball joints installed from the factory

Technically you're supposed to get an alignment after replacing the front tension struts

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nts/1VnYrNqcnz

However, TBH I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary unless your monoballs feature some form of caster correction

If the rest of your suspension is completely stock, the only on car adjustment you can make on the front is toe

Toe can have a big effect on tire wear

In very general terms, toe in can improve stability while toe out can improve turn in, but like with most things there are often tradeoffs to be had and personal preference comes into play

Most people shoot for around zero toe in front or just slightly toe in

IIRC, factory camber in the front is typically around -1.5 degrees +/- 0.5

With stock wheels and tires, something in the -2.0 degrees to -3.0 degrees range would be ideal, but once again personal preference comes into play and you will need camber plates, adjustable arms or camber correcting swivel housings if you want to make any changes

Both camber and toe can be adjusted in the rear using the eccentric factory hardware (although technically they are considered single use nuts and bolts)

IIRC, factory rear camber is around -1.6 to -1.7 degrees +/- 0.4 degrees

The rear should have a little toe in

HTH
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
I'm going to assume you're referring to having the front UCAs or tension struts installed with monoballs

As noted by others in your earlier thread, the LCAs or wishbones already have sealed ball joints installed from the factory

HTH

Well, this is interesting. My understanding was that the factory front thrust arm bushings are still rubbery and not made out of solid aluminum ball joints such as this:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...oball-upgrade/

I guess I will find out tomorrow. If they aren't much different than stock, I won't have them installed.

And I guess they'll just do the stock alignment then since not much can be adjusted.
      06-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Well, this is interesting. My understanding was that the factory front thrust arm bushings are still rubbery and not made out of solid aluminum ball joints such as this:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...oball-upgrade/

I guess I will find out tomorrow. If they aren't much different than stock, I won't have them installed.

And I guess they'll just do the stock alignment then since not much can be adjusted.
The front tension strut (thrust arm) bushings are rubber

I was merely pointing out that the front tension strut (thrust arm) is the upper control arm (UCA) and not the lower control arm (LCA)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 11:20 PM   #6
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
The front tension strut (thrust arm) bushings are rubber

I was merely pointing out that the front tension strut (thrust arm) is the upper control arm (UCA) and not the lower control arm (LCA)
Oh I see. Thanks for your input.