BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke | M2 Signature Exhaust (Sneak Peek)

06-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Active Autowerke | M2 Signature Exhaust (Sneak Peek)

We've spent the last few weeks designing our M2 exhaust and I'm happy to say that we've begun building our prototype. We put a lot of thought in to the exhaust design and wanted to build something that would be extremely functional without sacrificing aesthetics or sound quality.

Requirements
  • Free flowing design
  • 100% Stainless construction
  • Retain all OEM chassis braces
  • Smooth sound
  • OEM Valve control
  • Flawless fitment
  • Quad tip design (we will be using our 90mm double walled brushed or black tips)

As stated above, we plan to keep the OEM valve motor, but with a twist! I can't release full details yet but we will be using the valve system. We will also be seamlessly mating our exhaust to our downpipe. The exhaust diameter will not shrink below 3.5" from the turbo back! The OEM downpipe (and all other aftermarket downpipes) taper down to a ~3" diameter pipe where the stock exhaust connects. Our downpipe will be modular, and will be sold with a straight 3.5" link pipe to mate to our Signature exhaust system or with an adapter pipe to connect to the OEM exhaust system. The idea is that when using our downpipe and full exhaust system, you will have a true 3.5" turbo back system with zero backpressure and high exhaust velocity!

I will update this thread as we make progress on the system, and I will be glad to answer any questions as well!

We are also using a true 3" valve (as opposed to the OEM 2.5") that utilizes the OEM valve motor!

**Update 7/6/16**

We've now completed 3 different variations of the rear muffler and still have not settled on a sound that we find acceptable. We've been playing with a few different mufflers to try and find the perfect combination so that the car is extremely aggressive with the valve open but also tame enough with the valve closed to keep your neighbors happy.

Today we're trying another variation and I personally have high hopes for this setup. I'll update as soon as it's complete.

Keep in mind that our car has a catless downpipe installed, but we're also considering the sound level for cars with catted downpipes. We WILL find that happy medium!

Here's a couple shots of some progress.

Last edited by David@ActiveAutowerke; 07-13-2016 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 4
      06-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

more...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Will running the car with a catless downpipe without a tune be dangerous for the engine? The elimination of back pressure doesn't mess everything up?

I'm scared now to run a downpipe without a tune adjusting for the difference in pressure etc it makes.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

I am sold already! Take my money
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
135iDCT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I

you should build a race version also, catless muffler, ceramic coat optional
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Will you sell a sport-catted downpipe option that won't throw a CEL? Will the MPE CF diffuser mate with this exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post
more...
It's coming, I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Will running the car with a catless downpipe without a tune be dangerous for the engine? The elimination of back pressure doesn't mess everything up?

I'm scared now to run a downpipe without a tune adjusting for the difference in pressure etc it makes.
Absolutely not. Backpressure is not necessary on modern fuel injected engines. The ECU is these cars is extremely smart and will make adjustments to ensure that the air fuel ratio is pretty much always perfect. With the use of BMW's valvetronic technology, the ecu also opens and closes the throttle body to help control boost and it will adjust wastegate position and ignition timing to make the car run exactly how it wants it to. There is no harm in running a catless downpipe without a tune at all, the car will actually run better like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F87 View Post
I am sold already! Take my money
Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iDCT View Post
you should build a race version also, catless muffler, ceramic coat optional
We've always offered ceramic coating if the buyer wants it. With the valve open, our exhaust will be straight-through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Will you sell a sport-catted downpipe option that won't throw a CEL? Will the MPE CF diffuser mate with this exhaust?
We may eventually offer a catted version but nothing official yet.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
MadViper
Private First Class
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

any news?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadViper View Post
any news?
Our first design was admittedly too quiet. We're working on rebuilding the rear section now to be a little louder. I will post pics later today of our current setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #10
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Original post has been updated!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
David, how much louder is this than stock? Also, what is the "tone" compared to stock? The OEM exhaust has a nice deep, smooth tone... will this be somewhat similar?

EDIT: Ignore this... I see you are still testing variations
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
We've spent the last few weeks designing our M2 exhaust and I'm happy to say that we've begun building our prototype. We put a lot of thought in to the exhaust design and wanted to build something that would be extremely functional without sacrificing aesthetics or sound quality.

Requirements
  • Free flowing design
  • 100% Stainless construction
  • Retain all OEM chassis braces
  • Smooth sound
  • OEM Valve control
  • Flawless fitment
  • Quad tip design (we will be using our 90mm double walled brushed or black tips)

As stated above, we plan to keep the OEM valve motor, but with a twist! I can't release full details yet but we will be using the valve system. We will also be seamlessly mating our exhaust to our downpipe. The exhaust diameter will not shrink below 3.5" from the turbo back! The OEM downpipe (and all other aftermarket downpipes) taper down to a ~3" diameter pipe where the stock exhaust connects. Our downpipe will be modular, and will be sold with a straight 3.5" link pipe to mate to our Signature exhaust system or with an adapter pipe to connect to the OEM exhaust system. The idea is that when using our downpipe and full exhaust system, you will have a true 3.5" turbo back system with zero backpressure and high exhaust velocity!

Nice - will AA do a CBE dual outlet version to suit M235i ???? I hope so.....
      07-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Does the stock system have flex joint somewhere?
      07-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #14
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi, F87 M2 AW EXEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke
Can't wait to see how loud it is but also hope it's quiet when valves are closed my neighborhood hated me in my 335 .. And price point would be cool this will line up perfect with VRSF catless downpipe and any new diffuser?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #15
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
David, how much louder is this than stock? Also, what is the "tone" compared to stock? The OEM exhaust has a nice deep, smooth tone... will this be somewhat similar?

EDIT: Ignore this... I see you are still testing variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Nice - will AA do a CBE dual outlet version to suit M235i ???? I hope so.....
It's possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Does the stock system have flex joint somewhere?
Yes the stock system has a flex at the very front of the exhaust. It's popular to delete the flex with aftermarket BMW systems, but we are still contemplating adding one in. The main drawbrack would be reduced ground clearance, especially with our large 3.5" mid pipe design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlee23 View Post
Can't wait to see how loud it is but also hope it's quiet when valves are closed my neighborhood hated me in my 335 .. And price point would be cool this will line up perfect with VRSF catless downpipe and any new diffuser?
We're back to the drawing board again. We've tried 4 different muffler combinations and it's still not 100% perfect. Our latest design was mocked up late last night and while it hasn't been finalized it's the best we've had so far. We'll be making some minor changes today that will hopefully perfect it!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #16
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
We're back to the drawing board again. We've tried 4 different muffler combinations and it's still not 100% perfect. Our latest design was mocked up late last night and while it hasn't been finalized it's the best we've had so far. We'll be making some minor changes today that will hopefully perfect it!

what about a pure straight pipe option too?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post
what about a pure straight pipe option too?
We tried it. With the catless downpipe installed it's a tad too loud and not smooth sounding at all. It has a metallic and hollow sort of tone that isn't very refined. We added a very small resonator that should smooth the sound out with the valve open and will be using a straight through but effective muffler to be used when the valve is closed.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #18
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Awesome yeah I love loud as can be when valves are open but closed I want semi quiet your design looks best so far I do like the MPE but I like yours if cost is lower and works well my HPF was 3.5 on my e92 loved it catless strsight pipe!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #19
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

We're pretty much finalized with the design, but we'll be making a few changes to the pipe routing for the production units. Sound will be the same. I really think that with our full 3.5" design and dual 3" routing to the tips along with our 3" valve (as opposed to the OEM 2.5") our exhaust will support upwards of 600whp without any restrictions. Please ignore the tip fitment, we cut and welded 6 different configurations to test sound and didn't focus on tip alignment since we weren't sure if we'd be keeping the configuration. They will fit perfectly on production units.

Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      07-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #20
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

I will also admit that the exhaust system is louder in person. It's defintely on the loud side with the valve open, and similar to the stock exhaust with catless downpipe when closed. We wanted to make the system sound great with or without a catless downpipe, without being too quiet or too loud.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #21
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke
We're pretty much finalized with the design, but we'll be making a few changes to the pipe routing for the production units. Sound will be the same. I really think that with our full 3.5" design and dual 3" routing to the tips along with our 3" valve (as opposed to the OEM 2.5") our exhaust will support upwards of 600whp without any restrictions. Please ignore the tip fitment, we cut and welded 6 different configurations to test sound and didn't focus on tip alignment since we weren't sure if we'd be keeping the configuration. They will fit perfectly on production units.

Is this with catless downpipe in video or stock
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #22
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is this with catless downpipe in video or stock
Yes, it has our full 3.5" catless downpipe installed.
Appreciate 0