BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Suvneer (GTS Hood)

01-22-2023, 12:44 AM   #111
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVibes View Post
I received my Suvneer GTS hood about 3 months ago. Immediately had the hood painted and had the supplied vent painted gloss black. Hood fitment is near perfect, after tinkering with the fender/bumper alignment bolts a bit.

After letting the paint cure with the car stored for 3 months, I finally had the hood PPFed. However, when I went to install the supplied vent afterwards, I found it impossible to get it to seat properly. 2 of the big clips on the passenger side will NOT secure, no matter how much force I put into it. Did anyone else run into this? If so, how did you resolve? I'm at a bit of a loss on this final puzzle piece.

Seeing how precise the vent fitment is into the hole, I'm considering just dremeling off the large outer clips on each end and applying some thin weatherproof double sided 3M tape to secure it into place. The only downside to this is once it's installed, I likely won't ever be able to remove it without messing up the PPF around that area. So I'm hesitant to take this approach.

Looks great

Is that vent OEM or aftermarket?
      01-22-2023, 07:55 AM   #112
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
I received my Suvneer GTS hood about 3 months ago. Immediately had the hood painted and had the supplied vent painted gloss black. Hood fitment is near perfect, after tinkering with the fender/bumper alignment bolts a bit.

After letting the paint cure with the car stored for 3 months, I finally had the hood PPFed. However, when I went to install the supplied vent afterwards, I found it impossible to get it to seat properly. 2 of the big clips on the passenger side will NOT secure, no matter how much force I put into it. Did anyone else run into this?

I think 2 of mine didn't fit correctly either, but the vent fit securely without them. I also bought an OEM vent just to compare and there really isn't any comparison, the OEM vent is better in every way, including flawless fitment of every clip. The Suvneer is just a cheap vent not even copied exactly from OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 04:33 PM   #113
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I think 2 of mine didn't fit correctly either, but the vent fit securely without them. I also bought an OEM vent just to compare and there really isn't any comparison, the OEM vent is better in every way, including flawless fitment of every clip. The Suvneer is just a cheap vent not even copied exactly from OEM.
seems like suvneer should not even include the vent, probably cheapens the product
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 06:52 PM   #114
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
seems like suvneer should not even include the vent, probably cheapens the product
I mean, the OEM vent isn't expensive, I paid $76 for mine, and my local shop painted it for free because they are always shooting black and it's tiny. Suvneer should include an OEM vent IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:38 PM   #115
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Looks great

Is that vent OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks! It’s the vent that Suvneer provided with the hood. Which I now know is garbage.

Quote:
It's reassuring to know I'm not crazy. I contacted Suvneer about it and they essentially said it's not the vent, it's me.

They did offer to send me one of their new CF overlaid vents at a discount for my troubles. I took them up on it, thinking that maybe the issue stemmed from the paint shop somehow warping the clips during the painting/baking process. Low and behold, the new CF vent didn't solve the problem. In fact, the CF one is worse because it's a sturdier piece and while it looks fantastic, there's not enough give in it to bend it at all. Making it virtually impossible for 3 of the clips to come even close to securing into place.

So now I've thrown even more money at Suvneer for what is clearly just a flawed design.

I wasn't aware there was an OEM vent that fit the Suvneer hood. Do you happen to have a link and/or part number I could reference? I'm happy with the hood, overall. But I'm certainly not going to waste anymore time/money trying to get the Suvneer vents to work.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good CF vent that clips into the Suvneer hood properly, I’m open to that as well. Suvneer’s CF vent would look fantastic, if I could freaking install it.
///M TOWN16046.00
      01-24-2023, 07:08 PM   #116
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! It’s the vent that Suvneer provided with the hood. Which I now know is garbage.
100%

Quote:
They did offer to send me one of their new CF overlaid vents at a discount for my troubles.
They tried the same with me, but overlay is never going on my car, it's real or it's not going on.

Quote:
I wasn't aware there was an OEM vent that fit the Suvneer hood. Do you happen to have a link and/or part number I could reference? I'm happy with the hood, overall. But I'm certainly not going to waste anymore time/money trying to get the Suvneer vents to work.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good CF vent that clips into the Suvneer hood properly, I’m open to that as well. Suvneer’s CF vent would look fantastic, if I could freaking install it.
Have a look at my thread for the answers to your questions.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1936526
Appreciate 1
DadVibes1247.00
      01-24-2023, 09:58 PM   #117
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
100%

They tried the same with me, but overlay is never going on my car, it's real or it's not going on.

Have a look at my thread for the answers to your questions.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1936526
Plenty of answers in that thread. Thank you!

I went ahead and ordered the CS lift springs so I don't have to keep slamming the hood to get it to latch properly. It gives me shivers every time.

After getting the kids down for the night, I grabbed a beer and headed to the garage for another go at it. I was FINALLY able to get the original insert that Suvneer provided to snap in. However, it required trimming off the two outer clips and still took some serious effort to get all the rest popped into place. I took Suvneer's advice and slightly bent the metal lip of the hood up where necessary to get them all to latch. It's safe to say that vent isn't going anywhere.

The OEM insert is priced quite reasonably (~$72 shipped). However, the one thing that gives me pause is the textured finish of it. I worry that it just won't end up looking as good as the smooth gloss finish that my Suvneer insert now has, matching the gloss black trim all over the rest of the car. So I'll hold off for now. If I ever see the Suvneer insert start to come loose, I'll order the OEM one, slap it on and never think about it again.

Regardless, I appreciate your help and info. Especially on those springs.
Attached Images

///MPhatic13764.00
      01-24-2023, 10:19 PM   #118
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Plenty of answers in that thread. Thank you!

I went ahead and ordered the CS lift springs so I don't have to keep slamming the hood to get it to latch properly. It gives me shivers every time.

After getting the kids down for the night, I grabbed a beer and headed to the garage for another go at it. I was FINALLY able to get the original insert that Suvneer provided to snap in. However, it required trimming off the two outer clips and still took some serious effort to get all the rest popped into place. I took Suvneer's advice and slightly bent the metal lip of the hood up where necessary to get them all to latch. It's safe to say that vent isn't going anywhere.

The OEM insert is priced quite reasonably (~$72 shipped). However, the one thing that gives me pause is the textured finish of it. I worry that it just won't end up looking as good as the smooth gloss finish that my Suvneer insert now has, matching the gloss black trim all over the rest of the car. So I'll hold off for now. If I ever see the Suvneer insert start to come loose, I'll order the OEM one, slap it on and never think about it again.

Regardless, I appreciate your help and info. Especially on those springs.
I'm in the same boat, I had the Suvneer insert painted before my OEM showed up. I'm now going to have them paint the OEM because I hate that Suvneer thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 06:29 AM   #119
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm in the same boat, I had the Suvneer insert painted before my OEM showed up. I'm now going to have them paint the OEM because I hate that Suvneer thing.

I woke up this morning and immediately ordered the OEM insert. If I’m going to finish this off, I’m going to do it right.

With the rougher texture of it, I’m still concerned about how smooth the finish will end up looking, once it’s painted gloss black. But I’ll let the professionals sort that. I’m sure it’s going to look better than the Suvneer insert, regardless.
      02-03-2023, 04:32 PM   #120
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I’m very happy to report that the OEM GTS insert (P/N: 41-61-8-068-158) fits perfectly. It snaps into place with just the right amount of effort. It really highlights just how poor quality the Suvneer grill inserts are.

With the insert installed, along with the CS latch springs, I’m thrilled that this hood project is finally done.
Attached Images

inTgr8r2425.50
      02-03-2023, 04:54 PM   #121
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Excellent!
Thanks for the update.
....looks great!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 05:30 PM   #122
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Another upgrade worth consideration is self adhesive insulation, it weighs virtually nothing & helps with both engine noise & heat absorbsion…a very noticable improvement.
Attached Images

02-03-2023, 08:03 PM   #123
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
more GTS hood pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
epic133.50
      11-04-2023, 04:15 PM   #124
OverRev
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F22 M235i

Surveer changed the material from aluminum to iron (steel) these days. Sadly it doesn't save much weight compared to factory hood.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #125
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverRev View Post
Surveer changed the material from aluminum to iron (steel) these days. Sadly it doesn't save much weight compared to factory hood.
Maybe in Canada, but the aluminum is still available here for sure. Shows 5 in stock right now.

https://www.suvneermotorsports.com/s...aluminum-hood/
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 04:56 PM   #126
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Maybe in Canada, but the aluminum is still available here for sure. Shows 5 in stock right now.

https://www.suvneermotorsports.com/s...aluminum-hood/
this is interesting, check the description..

says Aluminum or Iron...

if they are all all Iron now that is a bummer but also be strange to say Alum up top and brag about the weight reduction and then send ya a steel hood.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 08:49 PM   #127
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
this is interesting, check the description..

says Aluminum or Iron...

if they are all all Iron now that is a bummer but also be strange to say Alum up top and brag about the weight reduction and then send ya a steel hood.
The price is aluminum for sure.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21810.50
      11-05-2023, 06:04 AM   #128
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The price is aluminum for sure.
I need to order one sooner than later just in case.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 08:31 AM   #129
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Has anyone compared with the stock hood for clearance of a larger top mount intercooler?
I wonder if the Wagner fits?
Appreciate 0