BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 2NH rotor width

10-24-2023, 05:21 AM   #1
timchump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG -> M2 Comp

2NH rotor width

Hi

Does anybody know the width and tollerances for the 2NH rotors?

Just had my m2 Comp in for a service, they said the rotors will need replacing soon

Which surprised me, its done 25k miles and is still on its orginal tyres according to date stamp on the tyres, = i dont think it has been driven that hard
(im the second owner, only had it 2 weeks)

Thinking of getting a gauge and mesuring the rotors myself
I know they will cost a small fortune to replace
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 07:36 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

The minimum thickness is stamped right on the rotor.

The stock pads are known to eat rotors. That dust you see isn't brake pad...it's rotor. If you're not racing your car I highly suggest the CarboTech 1521 pads. All the standard performance, 80% less dust, linear, and will at least double the life of your rotors.

Not sure what you have in the UK, but in the US we have getbmwparts.com, and they always have great prices on rotors.

If you get a gauge, make sure you get the right kind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2023, 07:48 AM   #3
timchump
Private
Rep

Thanks my man i'll check that out

Last edited by timchump; 10-24-2023 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic14174.50
      10-24-2023, 10:46 AM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timchump View Post
Hi

Does anybody know the width and tollerances for the 2NH rotors?

Just had my m2 Comp in for a service, they said the rotors will need replacing soon

Which surprised me, its done 25k miles and is still on its orginal tyres according to date stamp on the tyres, = i dont think it has been driven that hard
(im the second owner, only had it 2 weeks)

Thinking of getting a gauge and mesuring the rotors myself
I know they will cost a small fortune to replace

Your questions are answered in the rotors sections.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 3
chris7197393.50
///MPhatic14174.50
      10-24-2023, 02:51 PM   #5
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
...The stock pads are known to eat rotors. That dust you see isn't brake pad...it's rotor.
That scares the crap out of me with the amount of dust I have. I'm at almost 20k miles too.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 03:08 PM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexeater View Post
That scares the crap out of me with the amount of dust I have. I'm at almost 20k miles too.
The best thing anyone can do for their M2C with the 2NH is if they don't track, get rid of those terrible stock brake pads in favor of the CarboTech 1521. Best $500 you'll ever spend.
Appreciate 1
M3R12216.50
      10-24-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
timchump
Private
Rep

Quote:
The best thing anyone can do for their M2C with the 2NH is if they don't track, get rid of those terrible stock brake pads in favor of the CarboTech 1521. Best $500 you'll ever spend.
I can’t find a carbotech supplier in the UK
I here what you’re saying the report back from BMW says the pads are 30% worn and the discs are 70% worn on a car with 25k miles on it
The pads are eating the discs..

Can anybody from the UK recommend a good alternative street legal pad for the 2nh brakes
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 04:34 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Don't get too paranoid - the brake dust is actually quite a bit of pad, as well as rotor metal, that's why the pads wear out (I'm told it is common to get 2 sets of pads per set of rotors). If the factory could get acceptable performance from low-dust pads, they would - this isn't a Camry that is trying to shave every penny (at least check the boards for more extensive reviews; some ceramics are kinda crappy in the cold or wet). And those cheapo micrometers are just a waste of time, or worse (if you need a micrometer, then you need an accurate and reliable one - that POS is probably only good for getting the guage of a sheet of metal).

Find a good indie mechanic and get a second opinion from somebody who actually has real tools and the skills to use them; or just ask the original shop to show you their reading (they might just be going by mileage) - they are working on selling you on a big repair bill so it shouldn't be a big ask.
Appreciate 1
Brandt51949.00
      10-24-2023, 05:02 PM   #9
timchump
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Don't get too paranoid - the brake dust is actually quite a bit of pad, as well as rotor metal, that's why the pads wear out (I'm told it is common to get 2 sets of pads per set of rotors). If the factory could get acceptable performance from low-dust pads, they would - this isn't a Camry that is trying to shave every penny (at least check the boards for more extensive reviews; some ceramics are kinda crappy in the cold or wet). And those cheapo micrometers are just a waste of time, or worse (if you need a micrometer, then you need an accurate and reliable one - that POS is probably only good for getting the guage of a sheet of metal).

Find a good indie mechanic and get a second opinion from somebody who actually has real tools and the skills to use them; or just ask the original shop to show you their reading (they might just be going by mileage) - they are working on selling you on a big repair bill so it shouldn't be a big ask.
They sent me a video of the vehicle health check and the technician said there is a lip on the disc he’s measured it and it will need replacing soon.

If I was to guess I’d say he hasn’t measured it
It’s done 25k miles surely it can’t go through a rotor every 30k miles…

This was a health check done by a bmw garage 10 days after I purchased the car from bmw used approved

Last edited by timchump; 10-24-2023 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 05:55 AM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

So its a new car to you. So its possible, for street use highly unlikely your rotor is toast after 25k but if old owner tracked it or used track pads its is possible the rotor does indeed need replacement.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2023, 10:29 AM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I here what you’re saying the report back from BMW says the pads are 30% worn and the discs are 70% worn on a car with 25k miles on it
The pads are eating the discs..

Can anybody from the UK recommend a good alternative street legal pad for the 2nh brakes
You can try EBC Redstuff pads, same sort of deal, ceramic brakes, rotor preservation, linear as opposed to progressive.
Appreciate 2
chris7197393.50
      10-25-2023, 04:51 PM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
They sent me a video of the vehicle health check and the technician said there is a lip on the disc he’s measured it and it will need replacing soon.

If I was to guess I’d say he hasn’t measured it
It’s done 25k miles surely it can’t go through a rotor every 30k miles…

This was a health check done by a bmw garage 10 days after I purchased the car from bmw used approved
Im in the UK. If it's out of warranty or in warranty never take it to BMW again, useless rip off merchants.

Find a good indy instead. If you have warranty it's still valid. Where are you based?

Mind you my normal blue brakes rotors were toast after 4yrs 17k, mainly corrosion and cracking round holes but not wear as such.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2023, 06:12 AM   #13
timchump
Private
Rep

Thanks Guys

I have ordered a digital rotor measuring tool.
If BMW are right i think i'll go after market, maybe Girodisc?....
If they are wrong i will never go to that dealership again
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 06:30 AM   #14
doughboy
Major General
Rep

A lip on the edge of a disc means nothing, the rusty outer edge of any disc/rotor often swells and flakes as its rusts, you can usually scrape the rust off, actual clean portion disc thickness is the key figure.

Going aftermarket on 1 axle will look odd and probably not reccomended.

You can get genuine 2NH front discs quite reasonable prices if you avoid BMW dealers:

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/prod...RoCf6UQAvD_BwE

Here for £374 each which is a good price.

Easy to change yourself, or any garage can do it.

BMW will probably try to charge you double that figure, plus their scandalous labour rates.

Pad options are more tricky for the 2NH as they're an odd fitment. The normal blue brakes have masses of options as they are used on more vehicles.

Last edited by doughboy; 10-26-2023 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2023, 06:40 AM   #15
timchump
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
a lip on the edge of a disc means nothing, the rusty outer edge of any disc/rotor often swells and flakes as its rusts, you can usually scrape the rust off, actual clean portion disc thickness is the key figure.

Going aftermarket on 1 axle will look odd and probably not reccomended.

You can get genuine 2nh front discs quite reasonable prices if you avoid bmw dealers:

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/prod...rocf6uqavd_bwe

here for £374 each which is a good price.

Easy to change yourself, or any garage can do it.

Bmw will probably try to charge you at least double that figure, plus their scandalous labour rates.

Pad options are more tricky for the 2nh as they're an odd fitment. The normal blue brakes have masses of options as they are used on more vehicles.
thanks yes that is significantly less than what bmw were quoting
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 07:12 AM   #16
doughboy
Major General
Rep

1 more reason mine never goes anywhere near BMW, shame really when the franchised customer service is so bad it makes people not even want to buy the product!

If you're near north west, try Darren Wood BMW in Stockport, fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 07:30 AM   #17
CalvinNismo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Coupé

Quote:
Have you tried CarboTech themselves?

http://carbotech-europe.com
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic14174.50
      10-30-2023, 10:26 AM   #18
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
How would you compare the "initial bite" of the carbotech pads vs the OE pads? I quite like the initial bite, but it does make it hard to drive "gingerly" at very slow speeds (parking lots, traffic, stoplights/stopsigns)

These guys are right down the road from me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:10 AM   #19
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
How would you compare the "initial bite" of the carbotech pads vs the OE pads? I quite like the initial bite, but it does make it hard to drive "gingerly" at very slow speeds (parking lots, traffic, stoplights/stopsigns)

They're not as grabby as the OE pads, but much more linear/easy to modulate IMO.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 3
chris7197393.50
M3R12216.50
bitcore108.00
      10-30-2023, 11:23 AM   #20
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
They're not as grabby as the OE pads, but much more linear/easy to modulate IMO.
Would you think just doing a pad slap is ok if you have low miles on the rotors in good condition since the OEM pads rely more on abrasive friction? Or, would you hit the rotors with scotchbrite or something just in case?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:11 PM   #21
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post

Initial bite is good IMO, and the linear pad is much preferred to progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Would you think just doing a pad slap is ok if you have low miles on the rotors in good condition since the OEM pads rely more on abrasive friction? Or, would you hit the rotors with scotchbrite or something just in case?
No need to prep the rotors at all, and no need for a bed-in, just 300 easy CITY miles and you're done. They basically bed themselves in properly as long as they aren't overheated, so make sure NOT to do a traditional bed-in.
Appreciate 2
chris7197393.50
bitcore108.00
      10-30-2023, 03:27 PM   #22
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
No need to do any rotor prep. Just pop the 1521 in there and be happy . I didn't do anything besides install them when I went from DS2500 to them.

Appreciate 3
chris7197393.50
///MPhatic14174.50
bitcore108.00