BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Buying an M2 with 3700 miles, but there's no record of any service

09-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
PresidentEvil
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB

Buying an M2 with 3700 miles, but there's no record of any service

So Im gonna be buying this 2018 M2 with 3700 miles, super mint virtually new. The carfax doesn't list a break in service that is usually done around ~3000 miles.

From my understanding this break in service is important because the oil is filled with excessive metal particles from the new engine breaking in.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

The past owners were apparently an elderly couple, guess they don't know much about cars.

Obviously as soon as I get the car I'm taking to the dealer to get it serviced.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

The dealership should be able to tell if the car had the 1200 mile service done based on the chassis number if you have it. The service also includes a change of the fluid in the differential.

I would expect the car to be demanding service if it hasn't had one by now, as the one after the 1200 mile service is at 2 years from manufacture.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

If I were you I'd pay for a BMW pre-purchase inspection (PPI) and ask if they can also look into the service (sounds like this was already done) and warranty history. Is the seller the same as the dealer you'd bring it to? If so, ask them to cover this and/or the actual service. If not I'd still ask if they would cover it or take it off the sales price if you pay for and purchase it. GL!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
PresidentEvil
Private
United_States
Rep

This car was being sold at a Mercedes dealership, so I called the nearest BMW dealership and it turns out they were the one that sold/serviced the car.

They said a service was done that included an oil change, the guy on the phone couldn't give any more detail but said that was probably the break in service.

Its got a few extras that weren't listed on the listing page:
  • M Performance Exhaust
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
  • M Performance Carbon Fiber Side Skirt Winglets
  • M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Cover Set
Attached Images

Last edited by PresidentEvil; 09-18-2020 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
The past owners were apparently an elderly couple...
I think that's a common line. My dealer said mine was owned by an elderly gentleman -- looked him up and he was in his 40s!

But with only 3700 miles, perhaps they traded it in because the M Performance Exhaust was too loud!

Looks great though!

BTW, is that dirt on the side skirt or a scrape? Also looks like an M Performance sticker on the side skirt (although tough to tell from the pic).

Last edited by jkoral; 09-18-2020 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

A couple other ways you can tell if break-in services was done sans maintenance records...

1) If iDrive tells you it needs the break-in service done. Though maybe this was cleared when only an oil change was done.

2) Launch control will be activated... Drive the car for 6 miles and get it up to temp. Then hold down the traction control button until DSC Off mode is enabled. Then hold the brake down, then press the gas pedal to the floor. If launch control is active, you will see so on the instrument cluster and the car will hold revs at 3500rpm. If you need further help understanding launch control, look at page 98 in the manual.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #7
PresidentEvil
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I think that's a common line. My dealer said mine was owned by an elderly gentleman -- looked him up and he was in his 40s!

But with only 3700 miles, perhaps they traded it in because the M Performance Exhaust was too loud!

Looks great though!

BTW, is that dirt on the side skirt or a scrape? Also looks like an M Performance sticker on the side skirt (although tough to tell from the pic).
I think its dirt/mud because they didn't detail the outside yet when they took these photos
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
This car was being sold at a Mercedes dealership, so I called the nearest BMW dealership and it turns out they were the one that sold/serviced the car.

They said a service was done that included an oil change, the guy on the phone couldn't give any more detail but said that was probably the break in service.

• M Performance Exhaust
"Elderly Couples" do not routinely buy an M2, and they are highly unlikely to fit that little lot without having ben taken for a ride by the salesman.

Obvs, the person who told you this may think that anyone over 30 is "elderly", but I think they may be making "factual inexactitudes".

Last edited by M Fifty; 09-19-2020 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #9
M2Power
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:

• M Performance Exhaust
"Elderly Couples" do not routinely buy an M2, and they are highly unlikely to fit that little lot without having ben taken for a ride by the salesman.

Obvs, the person who told you this may think that anyone over 30 is "elderly", but I think they may be making "factual inexactitudes".
The dealer obviously knows who the previous owner is. If they can get permission, you may be able to contact the previous owner. I've been lucky enough to do that in the past. The previous owner can be totally upfront with you since they no longer own the vehicle.
Appreciate 0