Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately, the bypass harness does cause issues if the dealer has to do a software update or part programming..

The system check me to see if each module on the vehicle order is there and active before it allows the update.

The bypass prevents this, since the module can't be detected.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1260271

ECU software update /w Aftermarket Amp & ASD Bypass? https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1598607
Your example was with an aftermarket AMP. The technician couldn't get an appropriate signal from the amp. The ASD bypass harness does nothing to the stock amp.
It causes an error within the ISTA control tree, how do think it eliminates the ASD sound, bypassing the physical connections.

Look, it's just some friendly advice that I would like someone to share with me, had I used a bypass but whatever works for you guys..
I've seen posts that it doesn't cause issues with updates?

I believe the software can see the amp/module it only the output that is rerouted to nowhere.

Can you link where your saw this..

It's not some miracle plug, with voodoo magic to eliminate ASD, it's just a re-pinned harness that kills the sound.

If any of the system is not working, as design, it generates "shadow codes." and disable the ASD system, where, as a result, as disables the audio bass, which can prevents a dealer update.

This is why some of you guys with this harness installed complain about how crappy the HK system sounds; what you actually did there is actually disable the bass in the system, hence the tinny sound.. What did you expect :

I tested this theory above, when one of my under-seat woofer went bad.

I'm not saying you can never get your vehicle updated or repaired, just put back on the stock harness.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:10 PM   #24
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Can you link where your saw this..

It's not some miracle plug, with voodoo magic to eliminate ASD, it's just a re-pinned harness that kills the sound.

If any of the system is not working, as design, it generates "shadow codes." and disable the ASD system, where, as a result, as disables the audio bass, which can prevents a dealer update.

This is why some of you guys with this harness installed complain about how crappy the HK system sounds; what you actually did there is actually disable the bass in the system, hence the tinny sound.. What did you expect :

I tested this theory above, when one of my under-seat woofer went bad.

I'm not saying you can never get your vehicle updated or repaired, just put back on the stock harness.

I cannot find the original post that I read but yes this was a big deciding factor to use the harness b/c I didn't want to be ripping it out every time I brought the car in for service.

I believe, I have had the car programmed twice since installing the harness but my paperwork is a mess to search through to confirm. Couple things though. Dealers only reprogram if you have a documented reproducible issue and even then only touch the module(s) they need to. It's rarer for them to reprogram the entire system. That said, if they did and the harness was an issue then yes a major PITA.

I did find these posts that do confirm the harness doesn't impact programming b/c the diagnostics can still see the factory amp and that the harness kills the ASD output to the speakers.

See #2 which confirms seeing the factory amp and #3 that explains and reference another detailed article.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1598607

EDIT: found it!

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...7&postcount=20

There's also no footprint left in the ECU that you've done anything to the car, as the ASD module continues to answer diagnostic polls and all values remain at factory default.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      08-04-2020, 02:24 AM   #25
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrev30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Quote:
They are ordering a lot of M Performance parts that are port installed. My M2 had $18,000 of port installed options. When they are port installed the parts are added to the sticker price of the car. The good thing is if you lease or finance the car, they are included.
What do you mean by included?
meaning instead of paying say 5,000 out of pocket for the mpe exhaust you can add that 5,000 into your financing and pay for it in the monthly payments for the car itself. so the parts are included in the price
Isn't that quite obvious? That's part of your MSRP so you can definitely finance those parts. However I do enjoy the liberty of being able to mod your own car and retain your OEM parts. With optioning at port, you'll most likely lose your OEM exhaust over MPE
      08-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #26
maxrev30
Private
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, 85 1uz v8 yota pickup

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrev30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
They are ordering a lot of M Performance parts that are port installed. My M2 had $18,000 of port installed options. When they are port installed the parts are added to the sticker price of the car. The good thing is if you lease or finance the car, they are included.
What do you mean by included?
meaning instead of paying say 5,000 out of pocket for the mpe exhaust you can add that 5,000 into your financing and pay for it in the monthly payments for the car itself. so the parts are included in the price
Isn't that quite obvious? That's part of your MSRP so you can definitely finance those parts. However I do enjoy the liberty of being able to mod your own car and retain your OEM parts. With optioning at port, you'll most likely lose your OEM exhaust over MPE
yes i feel the same way about that. i would rather purchase it then get the parts so i have both cause they effectively charge you out the ass for the m performance exhaust and keep your standard one...
Appreciate 0