BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Clutch Slipping - A hot trackday experience

07-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Clutch Slipping - A hot trackday experience

2018 with 20,000 miles

I was at a track day July 2, 2020 during which the ambient air temp was in the low 90s. In the last two sessions after 7-8 laps it felt like the clutch slipped in 3rd and 4th gear (wasn't using 2nd at this track). Coolant never got over 220 (so the engine wasn't super hot which could make the clutch hotter). I don't slip the clutch at all - in fact, I may be the opposite if I am on any end of the spectrum of slip vs. side-step.

Video (I had a hard time noticing the slipping from watching the video, but it's what ended my last two sessions, so I either went off right away or tried to do a slight cool down lap):

Power mods: VF/HEX Stage 2, CSF FMIC, High-flow Fabspeed cat

A couple questions:
1) Has anyone else experienced this?
2) What sorts of HP numbers have people seen with stock clutch? Granted, mine was on a hot, tracking car vs. sitting warm on a dyno.
3) I am feeling like I should have eliminated the CDV when I first got the car.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts regarding this topic. Also, I have a couple month left on my warranty, so I'd like to figure out what to do. Part of me wants the dealer to take partial blame because the CDV causes slip that would wear the clutch prematurely, so their design is partly to blame. Thoughts on that piece, too, would be appreciated.

Last edited by M2guru; 07-04-2020 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Considering The transmission in our cars is the same one used on the F8X platform and they regularly see high power levels between 500-700wtq. It can definitely handle high power
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Considering The transmission in our cars is the same one used on the F8X platform and they regularly see high power levels between 500-700wtq. It can definitely handle high power
+1

Our clutches are very very strong.

Maybe OP's clutch is defective?