BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > PSA - buying an used M2C (look outside BMW ADs network for best prices)

07-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
PSA - buying an used M2C (look outside BMW ADs network for best prices)

PSA

WHAT: if you're in the market for an used M2 or M2C, you'll probably get a better price not buying it from an AD BMW dealership.

WHY: All ADs representing their own car manufacturers (Porsche, Audi, Mercedes etc.) aim to maximize and build up market values for their own brand...so it sort of makes sense not to keep other competing brands on their lot with pricing that will rival their own models.

Background story:

For the last 2 months, I have been searching to purchase a NEW MY ’20 M2C from anywhere in the country. But my spec requirements proved a limiting factor: ONLY wanted HS and 6 speed, as I did not care for anything else. My local dealer (BMW Of Arlington TX) couldn't locate any of them across the nation for weeks on end.

Not wanting to wait for a MY '21 production, I began searching for 'previously enjoyed' M2C w/ low mileage. It turned out that there were plenty of '19 or '20 across the nation at BMW ADs, some even CPOd. I then tried to negotiate on 2 different M2Cs (one in Chicago the other in N. Carolina): some forum members say to target a ~10% discount, but best I was able to accomplish was less than a measly $900 off their asking price. Their story was the same: how special the M2C is, how hard it is to find manual transmission (that I believe as most M2Cs were w/ M-DCT); one dealer even told me that the Leipzig Plant has a limited production cycle for M2Cs each year (whaat now??...I’m thinking he was referring to COVID restrictions), how these fly off the lot the minute they are put for sale, mostly pure grade A bull-kaka!

Eventually, I found a '19 Hockenheim M2C, 6 speed w/ Executive Pckg. with only 3,400 mi at a Porsche dealer that was traded for a 992. I submitted an offer 4.5 grand under their asking price, which was accepted right away - and the deal was sealed. The simplest car buying experience I've had.

YMMV, but if you're in the market for an used M2/M2C, but you may find a better deal at competing ADs, unless you're keen on purchasing CPO warranty from the factory. This is my 7th BMW in all, and I always had to wheel and deal to get a fair price, mind you this is the first 'new to me/pre-owned' bimmer I've purchased, as all others were BNIB.

P.S. this is the 3rd instance I had purchasing a car from a competing dealer with limited haggling, the last one being a Lexus ES350 from Mercedes AD – my offer was accepted in the first negotiating round.

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 07-02-2020 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
drexplode1763.50
      07-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Good advice! Also, did you consider buying private party? I would assume that is the cheapest option?

Regardless, you're a happy camper now! I decided to do the '21 route and I estimate since ordering to delivery, it will take 5 months!
      07-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C (LBB+6MT+MR)

I looked a some private party deals, even through this board, and all the sellers wanted $55k or more. The new example I just secured was below that. I can attest to the fact that the used ones go quickly when priced around $55k. Most buyers don’t know what deals can be secured, or where to look for them. The Porsche dealer beat me actually laughed when I made them an offer of $52,500 on a used 2020 with 3,500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Good advice! Also, did you consider buying private party? I would assume that is the cheapest option?

Regardless, you're a happy camper now! I decided to do the '21 route and I estimate since ordering to delivery, it will take 5 months!
Yeah, I had considered private sales, but they weren't too prevalent...certainly not in HS and 6 speed. From my findings, most M2Cs were sporting M-DCT, which it goes against my whole reasoning for purchasing/wanting this car.

Would HAVE LOVED a MY '21, but this deal worked out great (actually I picked it up exactly on my b-day, so it was really meant to be).
      07-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagnificent55 View Post
I looked a some private party deals, even through this board, and all the sellers wanted $55k or more. The new example I just secured was below that. I can attest to the fact that the used ones go quickly when priced around $55k. Most buyers don’t know what deals can be secured, or where to look for them. The Porsche dealer beat me actually laughed when I made them an offer of $52,500 on a used 2020 with 3,500 miles.
So here is another thing...

Problem # 1: One first has to find the M2/C with the build he/she really wants. I wasn't willing to compromise and get a M-DCT just because it may have been a decent deal. I always regretted getting my E92 335is with DCT. Yeah, it was fast, but not enjoyable, lacking excitement

Problem # 2: One has to understand the true Blackbook values of the car, deduce what the dealer paid for the trade-in. Biggest bargaining chip you have is understanding blackbook trade-in and retail values - some forum members can help with that if you give them the VIN. Then offer ~ 2-3k above trade-in price...

I could be wrong, but 52,500 for a '20 M2C w/ 3k miles is not much above blackbook trade in value, so yeah it seems a little low (unless it was bare-bones stock, with NO options, no DCT, no Exec or M- pckg, nada, etc).

Still, in my experience, most BMW CA's tend to be pretty rigid in price flexibility. I think you can use COVID towards your advantage...not many peeps are buying cars, much less a niche car like an M2.