BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Let's discuss "driveability" tune (FL): BM3 v Carbahn v ECUtek v Custom?

06-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #1
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Let's discuss "driveability" tune (FL): BM3 v Carbahn v ECUtek v Custom?

yes, I know, another of these threads...BUT, this one has a specific request. I have been reading every single thread here for the past few months, read every review, read online reviews and comparisons, etc, etc, and don't know which way to go.

Additionally, I can't seem to find anyone here in south florida that can bench unlock my DME without them wanting to tune it as well as part of the package

Looking for:
  • Every day driveablity, good power increase but without daily driving impact in terms of feel and throttle response
  • Stage 1 numbers...not looking to be the fastest or the highest HP guy out there. Just want to put this car where it should be
  • Don't care about customizing...I just want one and done.
  • Don't mind a slight increase in burbles, but nothing dramatic or crazy
  • Warranty would be great, but not a requisite

BM3
Pros:
- Cheap, customizable, multiple maps available
- great results performance wise
Cons:
- need to unlock my DME first; nobody seems to bench unlock without wanting tune as well. Others want me to pull it out and ship it (NOPE)
- crankhub issues seem to be more prevalent? perhaps its because more people are using it

Carbahn
Pros:
- good power, Steve Dinan seems to have done a good job for ths S55 here
- Warranty! Apparently BMW of Delray Beach is a dealer, will call them to see how much they are wanting
Cons:
- not enough reviews on daily driving change, would like to hear more (if anyone can comment)

ECUtek
Pros:
- Several comments on this forum and how great their daily drving is...almost OEM like feel with just big power
Cons:
- no idea on price here in S. FL.... no idea which dealers/tuners are available here
- seems like I must have my DME unlocked, and shipped to good tuner, and unfortunately i cannot be without a car for days

Custom tunes

- several places here have custom tunes:
* Hydramotorsports have one that they rave about, but no idea how good they are. they are charging $1600
* Corsateknik offered a custom tune, and they claim they are not the biggest HP number maker at all, but that they believe their tune is "by far" the most reliable and OEM like feel. They are also charging $1600

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
ONLYA6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M '19 M2C

No problems at all daily driving Carbahn. I've put about 2k miles on mine. Nothing sticks out in my mind to complain about. I posted up dyno numbers in another thread yesterday.
      06-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYA6 View Post
No problems at all daily driving Carbahn. I've put about 2k miles on mine. Nothing sticks out in my mind to complain about. I posted up dyno numbers in another thread yesterday.
great! may I ask how much it was? (you can PM me if need be)

I found one place in west palm beach (aboye and beyond) and they will unlock my car, same day, OR, they can also do a custom tune they call "DME tune" stage 2 that supposedly puts around 550hp at crank. They said most customers will do either BM3 (cheaper) or their tune when they unlock it.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
ONLYA6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M '19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYA6 View Post
great! may I ask how much it was? (you can PM me if need be)

I found one place in west palm beach (aboye and beyond) and they will unlock my car, same day, OR, they can also do a custom tune they call "DME tune" stage 2 that supposedly puts around 550hp at crank. They said most customers will do either BM3 (cheaper) or their tune when they unlock it.
$1750 same as advertised on their website.
      06-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Lets be clear; Ecutek does not have OTS flashes. They are completely custom to the individual tuner. Bend Calibration has a strong focus on driveability along with fast, fun and above all...efficient/reliable tunes. He will cater the driving experience to the driver depending on purpose and preference. Ecutek is also the only true flex fuel platform.
Poochie9103.00
rdriggett129.00
ebisu81078.00
      06-22-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Carbahn here, no issues regarding smoothness and drivability. If I have one nitpick is the extra power with the throttle sensitivity makes the car more challenging to launch if you have a manual. Other than that, no complaints. It’s as smooth as stock, just with more power.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:39 AM   #7
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

I'll second PZ619-- although mine is more on the "challenging" side to launch with a MT.

I also installed the M4 intakes and removed the charcoal filters. Maybe that adds to the twitchiness?

Luckily, it appears that if you install the UCP in the stock position w/ all springs, the problem goes away.

I'm going to install mine as soon as I get home on 4th of July weekend-- so I'll have to suffer with whiplash until then!
Appreciate 1
pz6193277.00
      09-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #8
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
I'll second PZ619-- although mine is more on the "challenging" side to launch with a MT.

I also installed the M4 intakes and removed the charcoal filters. Maybe that adds to the twitchiness?

Luckily, it appears that if you install the UCP in the stock position w/ all springs, the problem goes away.

I'm going to install mine as soon as I get home on 4th of July weekend-- so I'll have to suffer with whiplash until then!
Did you ever install the ucp?
      09-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #9
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Carbahn for 3K miles with AS SSK plus the UCP at the stock setting and the CDV delete. Daily driving in efficient mode is smooth as butter and feels like stock with slight more oomph. Driving in Sport+ with MDM feels like pure nirvana. The jerkiness I had at the beginning has smoothed out with the recent software (and the UCP at stock setting also helped a lot).

The only "complaints" I have are: (1) if I am not paying attention in first gear in Sport + and I let my right foot bounce a little (i.e., my throttle isn't smooth) the car will buck (but the car did that before the tune, just the buck is much more noticeable) and (2) the shift into fourth sends me to the moon with power which is fun as hell, but when you are already going 85, you'll touch 110 faster than you can think and I'm 100% certain it will get me a ticket one day.

Are there specific scenarios you want to know about? I am usually pretty transparent about cons and things I don't like, and I was 70% sure I would regret this tune (like I have every tune in the past), but I honestly don't regret it at all and would spend the money again (in fact would spend more).

Also, realized this is an old thread and I think OP went with BM3 IIRC, but now that I have more miles in that I would update the group.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 5
Kleinacus671.00
yaymitch867.50
Poochie9103.00
LBBFTW9.00
      09-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #10
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
Did you ever install the ucp?
The UCP is sitting in my garage with a bunch of other new parts. I've pretty much been gone almost the entire summer, so nothing's been done on the car.

I also have a nail in the center of my rear tire, so when I get home, that's priority one. Then the UCP when I have time. Unfortunately, the HoneyDo List is going to have to take priority-- that's the price I'm going to have to pay for having been able to take off for weeks at a time on solo motorcycle trips.

I'll get there eventually. I also have to bring the car in and have the AutoSolutions SSK installed.

R.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Carbahn for 3K miles with AS SSK plus the UCP at the stock setting and the CDV delete. Daily driving in efficient mode is smooth as butter and feels like stock with slight more oomph. Driving in Sport+ with MDM feels like pure nirvana. The jerkiness I had at the beginning has smoothed out with the recent software (and the UCP at stock setting also helped a lot).

The only "complaints" I have are: (1) if I am not paying attention in first gear in Sport + and I let my right foot bounce a little (i.e., my throttle isn't smooth) the car will buck (but the car did that before the tune, just the buck is much more noticeable) and (2) the shift into fourth sends me to the moon with power which is fun as hell, but when you are already going 85, you'll touch 110 faster than you can think and I'm 100% certain it will get me a ticket one day.

Are there specific scenarios you want to know about? I am usually pretty transparent about cons and things I don't like, and I was 70% sure I would regret this tune (like I have every tune in the past), but I honestly don't regret it at all and would spend the money again (in fact would spend more).

Also, realized this is an old thread and I think OP went with BM3 IIRC, but now that I have more miles in that I would update the group.
Do you get the traction control (the yellow light with the car and squiggles below it) flashing when at full throttle in third gear? I've been having that a lot and am a little surprised to see that.

I've got the Carbahn tune and the only other mods that would affect the tune are the M3/M4 intake snorkels and a Mishimoto heat exchanger (the radiator looking one).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I have not personally tried the 2 other tunes but i have been using bm3 for a couple years and im very happy with it.

We offer bootmod3 with a 30-day money-back guarantee if you wish to give it a try

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #13
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you get the traction control (the yellow light with the car and squiggles below it) flashing when at full throttle in third gear? I've been having that a lot and am a little surprised to see that.

I've got the Carbahn tune and the only other mods that would affect the tune are the M3/M4 intake snorkels and a Mishimoto heat exchanger (the radiator looking one).
Yep I get that, so am just more careful on cold tires. That said, when I finally burn through these tires (should be soon) going to bump up to wider Pilot 4S or Sport Cup 2s.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep I get that, so am just more careful on cold tires. That said, when I finally burn through these tires (should be soon) going to bump up to wider Pilot 4S or Sport Cup 2s.
Thanks-- I had that exact same thought.....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #15
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks-- I had that exact same thought.....
It's usually only when the tires are cold but not always. When I switch to some wheels that are easier to clean, I'll definitely be going the wider rear tire/PS4S route. For now, the breaking traction in 3rd is infrequent enough that it's more hooligan than it is alarming. So I can wait for the stock PSS tires to deteriorate "naturally."
      09-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #16
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

I added 10MM on all tires to the M3/M4 size along with PS4S tires and they've been great. You can still break them loose but it's not as easy now, giving the car a more balanced feel.

But I'm intrigued with this latest Carbahn software. Didn't realize there is another version. Might have to reach out to them!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I'm intrigued with this latest Carbahn software. Didn't realize there is another version. Might have to reach out to them!
Wait. What?

I had mine flashed the first week of July. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #18
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Can you clarify "recent software"?
pz6193277.00
      09-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #19
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wait. What?

I had mine flashed the first week of July. Am I missing something?
I did mine in early May or Late April, but referring to Thescout13's post from yesterday. Sounds like there might be an updated version. Then again, could be totally misinterpreting the post!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #20
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sorry I mean the post February software, should have been clear. The pre-February one had issues with twitchiness in the lower gears.
Appreciate 2
Kleinacus671.00
pz6193277.00
      10-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #21
jase2addict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp

Does anyone have any experience with alex@alpine? I see many m3/4's are happy with his tune. Many speak of his tune having great daily drivability and a linear power band with no jerky throttle. I have a 21 comp getting delivered in a few weeks and am looking at options.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #22
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

2019 m2 Competition 6MT on a Mustang Dynamometer

Apologies in advance that baseline vs tune were done on 2 different days. Kept detailed info on weather to try and maintain a comparison of sorts. Wtq was lower than I expected but it was on the stock run as well. As the wtq gains are almost as good as the whp gains, I'm just going to focus on the net gains and chalk the wtq baseline to the dyno.

Relevant Mods:
  • Active Autowerke Single (not EL) Mid Pipe
  • Remus Race Axle-back Exhaust
  • aFe Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filters (charcoals removed)
  • Carbahn Stage 1 Software F8X M2C

Dyno Day Details:
  • Same dyno used for both days
  • All runs in 4th gear
  • Half a tank of gas both times
  • 8/6 (run 1) weather = stock map / temp 72 / humidity 86% / "real feel shade" 75
  • 10/6 (runs 2 & 3) weather = CB stg 1 map / temp 55 / humidity 86% / "real feel shade" 62
Attached Images

Last edited by Kleinacus; 10-06-2020 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
pz6193277.00