BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Negotiating european delivery

05-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Negotiating european delivery

Hey,

Been searching around the forums and I found a few tips about general negotiating but it typically is around buying new within the US.

Does anyone have any experience for negotiating ED? A local dealer told me, "this is our price as we don't negotiate on ED." I'm talking to a few other dealers and asking for $1K over EU Invoice but haven't heard back.

I have about 10 days before I can place an order for the last ever ED and I don't feel like getting raked over the coals (considering folks are getting up to 10% off MSRP right now) but also don't want to miss the last opportunity for ED.
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3

For me it really depended on the dealer. I talked to 3 different dealers about ED, two were offering the basic ED discount ~5% and nothing more, the third without any real haggling offered $1200 over ED cost which worked out to a little over 9% off for my spec.

My ED was scheduled for June, but I think I'll be skipping and taking delivery in the states. I don't know how things have changed since the "ED is ending" note came out, my guess is it'll still vary. Some dealers will still attempt to charge what they can and others will work with you. Hard to say whether the demand will increase because of the end date, or decrease because of the current world state. Worth asking around to any dealer you are willing to pick the car up at once it arrives in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackday_chuck View Post
For me it really depended on the dealer. I talked to 3 different dealers about ED, two were offering the basic ED discount ~5% and nothing more, the third without any real haggling offered $1200 over ED cost which worked out to a little over 9% off for my spec.

My ED was scheduled for June, but I think I'll be skipping and taking delivery in the states. I don't know how things have changed since the "ED is ending" note came out, my guess is it'll still vary. Some dealers will still attempt to charge what they can and others will work with you. Hard to say whether the demand will increase because of the end date, or decrease because of the current world state. Worth asking around to any dealer you are willing to pick the car up at once it arrives in the US.
If you can still do ED I would do it before they cancel the program. I think you'll regret not doing it to be honest. I've done it twice for a F80 and F87C and it was so much fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep

I've contacted close to 10 dealers across the country so far. Four have gotten back to me with prices and they are all the exact same price - $55.9+options, taxes, and registration for the M2C.

My local dealership straight up said they don't negotiage on ED and when I've asked for invoice pricing information (said I'd be willing to move forward with $1K over ED Invoice), I never heard back from a different dealership.

With some forum members getting close to 10% off MSRP for local buying, I'm now paying a "premium" for ED...I think they understand demand will be high over the next week.
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 05:18 AM   #5
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 // 2020 M2CS

For what it's worth / I just locked in ED for the ED MSRP - $57.1k with the executive package.

Like you, I wanted to lock it in before it's too late and I got the sense the dealers knew that and are getting a lot of demand since the news of the program ending.

I'm happy with the deal and more so that I'll be among the last M2's to ever be had via ED for an American

Just be ready for a delivery date in July - MY2020 end of production is June for the M2 and my SA said they usually don't hold cars for over a month at the Welt - I'm pushing for August delivery, but he wasn't confident we could get that.

Current Garage:
2012 M3 ZCP, Mineral White, DCT: Track Build
2020 M2CS, Misano Blue, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:43 PM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinionM3 View Post
For what it's worth / I just locked in ED for the ED MSRP - $57.1k with the executive package.

Like you, I wanted to lock it in before it's too late and I got the sense the dealers knew that and are getting a lot of demand since the news of the program ending.

I'm happy with the deal and more so that I'll be among the last M2's to ever be had via ED for an American

Just be ready for a delivery date in July - MY2020 end of production is June for the M2 and my SA said they usually don't hold cars for over a month at the Welt - I'm pushing for August delivery, but he wasn't confident we could get that.
Congrats that's the same deal I got in Sept/Oct 2018 for a Jan 2019 ED on my 19 M2C. I went in winter which kind of sucked but you'll love going in the summer.
Appreciate 1
MinionM3492.00
      05-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #7
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall834 View Post
I've contacted close to 10 dealers across the country so far. Four have gotten back to me with prices and they are all the exact same price - $55.9+options, taxes, and registration for the M2C.

My local dealership straight up said they don't negotiage on ED and when I've asked for invoice pricing information (said I'd be willing to move forward with $1K over ED Invoice), I never heard back from a different dealership.

With some forum members getting close to 10% off MSRP for local buying, I'm now paying a "premium" for ED...I think they understand demand will be high over the next week.
Hrmm if you can get 10k I'd prob skip ED especially if I've done it once already. For me it was getting a great experience and most of a free vacation using the savings but not sure I'd want to miss out on another 5k in savings on the car to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Congrats!! Color? Manual?

I'm looking at Long Beach/Manual/Moon roof myself, not sure about the executive.

I went into the dealership yesterday and saw the orange first (on a 3 series) and then I walked into their main showroom with a M2C in LBB...and I was blown away.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger at the 55.9 + options. It just comes down to what local dealership. If I don't, I know I'll regret it as I've never gone and its been on my bucket list for a long while.
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 1
MinionM3492.00
      05-10-2020, 10:29 PM   #9
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Congrats!! Color? Manual?

I'm looking at Long Beach/Manual/Moon roof myself, not sure about the executive.

I went into the dealership yesterday and saw the orange first (on a 3 series) and then I walked into their main showroom with a M2C in LBB...and I was blown away.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger at the 55.9 + options. It just comes down to what local dealership. If I don't, I know I'll regret it as I've never gone and its been on my bucket list for a long while.
Thanks! I have changed my order from Hockenheim Silver to Alpine white and back to HS... I think I'm settled on HS.

Manual, exec package and that's it :-)

Good luck getting yours locked it - we could be the last Americans to ever get an M2 thru Euro Delivery!

Current Garage:
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #10
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I have changed my order from Hockenheim Silver to Alpine white and back to HS... I think I'm settled on HS.

Good luck getting yours locked it - we could be the last Americans to ever get an M2 thru Euro Delivery!
I was really surprised with how HS looked in person. I just see "silver" in the title and my response is, "eh" but walking around the car in person - it's sharp color. And Alpine is always a classic and looks great as well. I don't think you can go wrong on this car haha. But anyways - congrats again!

(Slightly off topic) Do you have any concerns will the travel there? It *looks* like travel bans have eased according to the State Dept website and I wouldn't expect the Welt/ED to be open if Germany had a ban on all incoming tourists. Although I don't know if I can make it into Italy for Stelvio Pass...that'd be a bummer.
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #11
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was really surprised with how HS looked in person. I just see "silver" in the title and my response is, "eh" but walking around the car in person - it's sharp color. And Alpine is always a classic and looks great as well. I don't think you can go wrong on this car haha. But anyways - congrats again!

(Slightly off topic) Do you have any concerns will the travel there? It *looks* like travel bans have eased according to the State Dept website and I wouldn't expect the Welt/ED to be open if Germany had a ban on all incoming tourists. Although I don't know if I can make it into Italy for Stelvio Pass...that'd be a bummer.
I'm the same - not a big fan of "Silver" cars / but in person I find HS to be such a dynamic color depending on lighting. I popped by a local dealer that had one on the lot and spend nearly 30-min just staring at it from different angles to make sure it was the right move.

Yes - the travel is certainly a consideration - I am trying to get the delivery in August (10th or beyond) and am hopeful that by that time things will have eased up much more than where they are now. Wouldn't be much fun to go out there for this and have everything be locked down. I am planning two separate route options though to anticipate closures and such so I'm not scrambling at the last minute

Current Garage:
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #12
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm the same - not a big fan of "Silver" cars / but in person I find HS to be such a dynamic color depending on lighting. I popped by a local dealer that had one on the lot and spend nearly 30-min just staring at it from different angles to make sure it was the right move.

Yes - the travel is certainly a consideration - I am trying to get the delivery in August (10th or beyond) and am hopeful that by that time things will have eased up much more than where they are now. Wouldn't be much fun to go out there for this and have everything be locked down. I am planning two separate route options though to anticipate closures and such so I'm not scrambling at the last minute
Yea I was concerned that the blue would make it look like a "boy racer" but seeing it in person quelled those worries.

I'll be pushing for August as well, perhaps even Sept. Having a backup plan is a great call - either way, being one of the last to do this is certainly a privledge and I feel lucky I'm at a point in my life I can do this.

We should keep in touch and exchange notes on our ED plans.
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 1
MinionM3492.00
      05-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yea I was concerned that the blue would make it look like a "boy racer" but seeing it in person quelled those worries.

I'll be pushing for August as well, perhaps even Sept. Having a backup plan is a great call - either way, being one of the last to do this is certainly a privledge and I feel lucky I'm at a point in my life I can do this.

We should keep in touch and exchange notes on our ED plans.
Yessir! And congrats to you

Current Garage:
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #14
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep

This is the most recent information on Germay's Ministry of the Interior website:

On 17 March 2020, Federal Minister Seehofer ordered extensive restrictions on entry at Germany’s external Schengen borders in order to contain the spread of the coronavirus. These restrictions are based on a communication of the European Commission supported by the heads of state and government of the EU member states. The restrictions apply to international aviation and maritime traffic originating outside the European Union until 15 May 2020. They do not apply to German citizens.

Basically - travel is currently restricted. Even if you're allowed in, you need to qurantine for 14 days.

I'm asking the dealership what my options are - the only reason I'm buying new is for this ED experience. This is a gamble and I'll have to decide (quickly) how much of a risk I want to take. I know that BMW has offered Performance Center Delivery in place of ED for those customers who purchased ED but then the pandemic happened - that's a potential, albeit less exciting, option.

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...97140bodyText3
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #15
trafficalert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTRS, M2CS

Has anyone been able to place ED order for a '21 model? My dealer said he could get me a '20 in July but can't schedule a '21 for delivery in Aug or Sept... Any help or advice appreciated. Really wanting a '21 for obvious depreciation reasons.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #16
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafficalert View Post
Has anyone been able to place ED order for a '21 model? My dealer said he could get me a '20 in July but can't schedule a '21 for delivery in Aug or Sept... Any help or advice appreciated. Really wanting a '21 for obvious depreciation reasons.
I haven't tried but im talking with the dealer today and will ask.
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #17
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafficalert View Post
Quote:
I haven't tried but im talking with the dealer today and will ask.
I was able to submit for one just this morning!!! We don't have a production allocation but we submitted for dates at end of September to coordinate with the Ring Lapping BMW Driving Experience I plan to attend. There is certainly some risk here with dates and car and covid, but I have to try to coordinate it all!

The other dealer I was working with has a 2020 allocation and can do late August on a 2020. If anyone is interested, I can forward that contact.

Last edited by Fugly M3; 05-12-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #18
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
I was able to submit for one just this morning!!! We don't have a production allocation but we submitted for dates at end of September to coordinate with the Ring Lapping BMW Driving Experience I plan to attend. There is certainly some risk here with dates and car and covid, but I have to try to coordinate it all!

The other dealer I was working with has a 2020 allocation and can do late August on a 2020. If anyone is interested, I can forward that contact.
Congrats!! Super exciting!

I officially submitted the pre-registration today myself!! My CA wasn't 100% sure but he mentioned that as end of production for 2020 is June he thought that a delivery in Aug/Sep may be a 2021. Guess we'll find out, I don't know when start of production is for 2021.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:18 AM   #19
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post

Congrats!! Super exciting!

I officially submitted the pre-registration today myself!! My CA wasn't 100% sure but he mentioned that as end of production for 2020 is June he thought that a delivery in Aug/Sep may be a 2021. Guess we'll find out, I don't know when start of production is for 2021.
I think someone posted that EOP for MY20 is on 6/30. But this was before Covid, so with what I'm hearing with M2Cs at 105 status, BMW may end it sooner and shift over completely in early June for MY21
      05-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #20
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
I think someone posted that EOP for MY20 is on 6/30. But this was before Covid, so with what I'm hearing with M2Cs at 105 status, BMW may end it sooner and shift over completely in early June for MY21
I found this, showing EOP for MY2020 F87 on 6/20/20. What's 105 status?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1655256

I can't find anything on SOP for 2021 models. So it'll probably come down to 1) How long they'll hold onto the car for you (build it in June and pickup in Munich in Aug/Sep?) and if they won't do that, 2) When SOP begins for 2021 models (July/Aug?).

If its the latter, then it most likely would be a 2021 model for those of us looking for pickup in Aug/Sep. Otherwise I would expect the build in June for 2020MY and from there would just depend on how long they're willing to hold the car.
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #21
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
I found this, showing EOP for MY2020 F87 on 6/20/20. What's 105 status?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1655256

I can't find anything on SOP for 2021 models. So it'll probably come down to 1) How long they'll hold onto the car for you (build it in June and pickup in Munich in Aug/Sep?) and if they won't do that, 2) When SOP begins for 2021 models (July/Aug?).

If its the latter, then it most likely would be a 2021 model for those of us looking for pickup in Aug/Sep. Otherwise I would expect the build in June for 2020MY and from there would just depend on how long they're willing to hold the car.
Status 105: Order out of production

My dealer said BMW has flipped all available orders to that status and the last time the dealer saw this approach was with the 7 series last year. BMW will build out ordered cars with customers prior to Covid as MY20 and do a VIN change for new orders and build for MY21
      05-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #22
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Status 105: Order out of production

My dealer said BMW has flipped all available orders to that status and the last time the dealer saw this approach was with the 7 series last year. BMW will build out ordered cars with customers prior to Covid as MY20 and do a VIN change for new orders and build for MY21
Interesting, are you saying that all orders pre-covid will be MY2020 and orders post-covid are 2021, just based on capacity/demand?
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0