BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > FTP Oil Catch Can?

06-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #23
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Folks

Update on MMR catch can

1. Concerns about condensation/ U loop on the longer inlet / feed line - this is deliberate to take feed line a little closer to exhaust/turbo. If any condensation present and it freezes in colder climes - the condensation melts faster and the kit has been proven OK in very harsh Scandavian winters.

I think TMS install instructions imply disconnecting the OOC for winter - is more a CYA than a 1st world issue.

2. MMR have fitted their OOC to an n55 m2 with CFRP retrofitted - photo attached

BP
Attached Images

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 2
tenkies147.00
      06-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #24
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Folks

Update on MMR catch can
Thanks BP, seems to be a nice fit with the dip stick being fully accessible. I wonder if you can get your hand down the side to unscrew the can...

Might just have to pull the trigger
      06-26-2020, 02:22 AM   #25
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Folks

Update on MMR catch can

1. Concerns about condensation/ U loop on the longer inlet / feed line - this is deliberate to take feed line a little closer to exhaust/turbo. If any condensation present and it freezes in colder climes - the condensation melts faster and the kit has been proven OK in very harsh Scandavian winters.

I think TMS install instructions imply disconnecting the OOC for winter - is more a CYA than a 1st world issue.

2. MMR have fitted their OOC to an n55 m2 with CFRP retrofitted - photo attached

BP
My concerns do not come from reading the tms install guide they come from owning a Subaru and running and air oil separator that involves strategically running extremely long hoses.

The issue is that even if it did heat up and melt very quickly it would still need to heat up and melt, that means your crank case is still subjected to possible high pressures dye to restricted pcv access.

Issues:

1) with a u shaped bit of hose you can get alot of water pooling there from condensation going both ways pooling back into the u. If condensation is bad enough and the hose is narrow enough you can have a complete block of the hose if it freezes. That is why flat runs or angled runs are more preferable as if it does freeze it will not block the whole hose as water cannot pool.an analogy is you cannot fill a piece of rubber tubing while it's flat or angled but you can fill a piece of rubber tubing if there is a u bend in it.

2) the larger the U bend the bigger the chunks of ice that will be present when it melts, and that thing is going straight for your turbo compressor blades. The pcv heater should stop this, but it was always a concern with Subarus in Canada.

Overall I'm unfamiliar with how much condensation builds up in these cars but it is always something to keep an eye on.

I hate to ragg on any company - so if I'm wrong in my opinion please let me know and I'll correct/delete this part but I kind of lost faith with mmr when I saw their CBC solution and crank hub fix. Because imo their CBC used dub par mounting bolts that did not appear to be grade 12.9 making them susceptible to shear (correct me if I'm wrong on this), and there crank hub fix is unsplined and unpinned so it can still slip despite the timing gear being fixed.

Additional questions/suggestions:

1) Bee pee do you know if the mmr can retains the pcv heater? It's hard for me to tell from the pictures. It is still needed to prevent check engine lights.

2) the benefit of running silicone lines like on the Turner kit is that you can choose to run hose clamps or not at the hose going to the crank case as silicone hoses can be friction fit. This means if pressure builds up due to a blocked line or can the hose can blow off saving your crank case, something not possible with an an line. I believe this is why bms does not include hose clamps with their occ's for this reason.

Overall when I look at all the catch cans available I believe the tms can is the best option for the n55 m2, from the baffling system to the hoses it is so much better than any other option.
Condensation build up and queries on MMR OCC - I'm no expert nor able to answer on behalf of MMR.

You make good points and ask fair questions.

Probably best to ask MMR direct to ensure you get the facts 1st hand.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #26
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
I've been doing some searching for OCCs for our M2's N55 engine, but there really isn't much info about it here on these forums. This was the only thread I found where someone mentioned they installed the BMS N55 OCC, but required some modification (cutting of a hose?).
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1293789

Anyway, I did some searching outside of the forums and found this:
https://www.aetmotorsport.com/produc...can-bmw-m2-n55

I haven't seen anyone talk about FTP and their OCC for the N55 M2 on bimmerpost. Does anyone have this, or has anyone heard of this?
Yea that was me that installed the BMS OCC with some major home depot engineering. Anyways, like the other posts, I'd recommend Tuner or ECS, their location and mount point is what I ended up using on my custom mount. But to be 100% honest, I wouldn't bother with the M2's N55, I mean if you really want a peace of mind then go for it. But I opened mine up after ~3 months of mixed driving and I didn't even have a drop in there. I think if the engine had major blow by it'll work, but with a small amount it'll slip right through. The OCC being located above the turbo gets quite hot, so in my mind any tiny bit of blow by will slip right through and won't condense. The couple of times I measured the temp the OCC got to 90 degrees C.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:49 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Yea that was me that installed the BMS OCC with some major home depot engineering. Anyways, like the other posts, I'd recommend Tuner or ECS, their location and mount point is what I ended up using on my custom mount. But to be 100% honest, I wouldn't bother with the M2's N55, I mean if you really want a peace of mind then go for it. But I opened mine up after ~3 months of mixed driving and I didn't even have a drop in there. I think if the engine had major blow by it'll work, but with a small amount it'll slip right through. The OCC being located above the turbo gets quite hot, so in my mind any tiny bit of blow by will slip right through and won't condense. The couple of times I measured the temp the OCC got to 90 degrees C.
Ecs can is for f30 n55, turner is for the m2 (unless they made a variant of each for each car).

But yes, with the can above the turbo condensation will not be your friend due to the high temps, which is why having a reverse flow can with as many changes in air flow as possible is ideal. This is because air can take turns faster than oil so the oil will be forced out of suspension when it rams against the walls of the baffle.