BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

02-07-2020, 03:10 AM   #23
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Eh, someone new is youtube famous everyday - no one will remember long. Now being able to say sub 8:00 at Nordschleife - now that lives on forever. I say full send.
This. This is how Legends are made. I will do my best and share results and videos
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:32 AM   #24
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Thanks for this, I'll give it a try. On first look the physics engine is not too good, but the track layout looks legit.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #25
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Thanks for this, I'll give it a try. On first look the physics engine is not too good, but the track layout looks legit.
Even with my decent thrustmaster setup, the physics from the sim to the car never really translate, esp for changing conditions. You need the top end Fanatec setup to get in the ballpark.

But, it’s been a huge help learning new tracks before I actually get there. When I did COTA for the first time last year, I used the sim to learn the track and was blown away that it felt like I’d already been there many times. Altho, you still have to learn where the bad bumps & tarmac are on the real track.

Another thing I do is search & watch track instructional videos from the pros. Some you have to pay for, some you don’t. I always do that before I begin a new track in the sim, turn the assist line off and keep my notes close by, just like real life.

Afterwards, I’ll watch my previous track videos to remember the track before I go back, and to see where I did well and did not. It’s pretty easy to pick out where you can do better when you’re sitting on the couch watching yourself drive.

Also, besides Ross Bentley’s books which are required reading, Optimum Drive is a good book to read about getting your head right.

Track time is expensive; sim, video, and reading time aren’t. So, I do what I can to make sure I’m 100% focused before the front tires roll onto the track.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #26
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Soo what shifter is everybody running? I’m deep in discussion with Auto Solutions at the moment
I am waiting for my Autosolutions shifter to arrive any day now. Went with 20%, Stock height, 80A+ bronze insert bushings. Talking with Ron I learned a lot about which shifter would fit my needs. Can't wait to start installing it.
      02-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #27
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Anyone going to Chuckwalla on Sunday? I just registered.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 06:51 PM   #28
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Love some track chit chat!

Still deciding what to do to get the car ready.

Has anyone tracked extensively with stock brakes? Apart from the difficulty of changing pads I think with pads/fluid they should be sufficient. I'd mainly change them so I can run 18's, but having 5K in a set of AP's doesn't seem that sensible given the capability of the stock setup.

Suspension wise I'm torn between - Ohlins (had these on my E90), TC Kline, JRZ RS1. I like the fact the JRZ won't reduce inner clearance, not a fan of spacers.

I'll probably run RE-71 again, although I'd like something that lasts a little longer. AD08r may be worth shot, although it's a pretty old compound at this point. Looks like all the Apex 19's are sold out. Need good wheel suggestions! Thinking I may just pickup a used set of 437M's.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #29
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post

Has anyone tracked extensively with stock brakes? Apart from the difficulty of changing pads I think with pads/fluid they should be sufficient. I'd mainly change them so I can run 18's, but having 5K in a set of AP's doesn't seem that sensible given the capability of the stock setup.

Suspension wise I'm torn between - Ohlins (had these on my E90), TC Kline, JRZ RS1. I like the fact the JRZ won't reduce inner clearance, not a fan of spacers.

I'll probably run RE-71 again, although I'd like something that lasts a little longer. AD08r may be worth shot, although it's a pretty old compound at this point. Looks like all the Apex 19's are sold out. Need good wheel suggestions! Thinking I may just pickup a used set of 437M's.
I had the stock brakes at COTA with Ferodo 1.11 pads. Very pleased with them, however the PITA that it is changing the front pads out was enough for me to switch out to an AP Essex setup. My car is a DD and the noise drove me a bit batty. Needed an easier way to change back to street pads. There's also the weight saved by moving to this setup, and of course not having to deal with the fried dust seals. If you track often then it's a very worthwhile upgrade IMO.
      02-10-2020, 01:08 AM   #30
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Changing pads is stupid easy. If you’re going fast you will cook the stock pads pretty quick. Progress as your skill & tires allow. Too much pad and not enough tire and you’ll lock up a lot
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      02-10-2020, 01:09 AM   #31
243Racing
Banned
Rep

I’m really confused why you guys say changing pads is hard. You pop out the pins, out comes the spring, in go the new pads. I dunno
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:38 AM   #32
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Changing pads is stupid easy. If you’re going fast you will cook the stock pads pretty quick. Progress as your skill & tires allow. Too much pad and not enough tire and you’ll lock up a lot
Agreed. Pads and fluid are a must when you start putting down decent lap times. And this is why I'm happy to have the blue 4 piston brakes. 2 easy pins, and in go new pads.

I am a but lazy though, so this year I will try leaving PFC08s in the back, and just changing the fronts before and after track days. There will be some squeel, but probably just a fraction of what the front make.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 05:33 AM   #33
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The M2C 2NH brakes are a fixed calliper bridge, you need to remove the whole calliper to change the front pads. The standard blue brakes on the base M2 are far less involved to change. I have no intention of running stock pads, however driving around with track pads in all day gets old.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 05:37 AM   #34
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
I had the stock brakes at COTA with Ferodo 1.11 pads. Very pleased with them, however the PITA that it is changing the front pads out was enough for me to switch out to an AP Essex setup. My car is a DD and the noise drove me a bit batty. Needed an easier way to change back to street pads. There's also the weight saved by moving to this setup, and of course not having to deal with the fried dust seals. If you track often then it's a very worthwhile upgrade IMO.
I used to run stock callipers on my e9x M3 which was a much less capable system in general and my dust seals didn't look too bad. The flip side is without them I'm worried the AP's will get blocked up with debris from street driving, although its a weekend car so I don't do a lot. Agreed on noise, certainly drew complaints from passengers when I chose to leave track pads in! I really like PFC 11's, not sure if they are available for the stock callipers yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #35
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The M2C 2NH brakes are a fixed calliper bridge, you need to remove the whole calliper to change the front pads. The standard blue brakes on the base M2 are far less involved to change. I have no intention of running stock pads, however driving around with track pads in all day gets old.
Ohhhhhhhhh. Gotcha. I was missing something! Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #36
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Soo what shifter is everybody running? I’m deep in discussion with Auto Solutions at the moment
Quote:
I’m currently signed up in NASA TT4 but we’ll see how that shakes out as we get closer to the season.

I looked into SCCA time trials but their classing is so ridiculous, I’m not going to go compete against Cayman GT4s and GT350Rs on Hoosiers
How well does the M2 fit into TT4? What modifier do you get to use with your setup? That would be a great fit.

Shifter - I have the CAE and love it. The throws are so precise and very short - and having it that much closer to the wheel is awesome. For me definitely reduces the chance of a money shift as well. It is equally as good on the street. The CAE + removing the clutch delay valve are the most enjoyable upgrade I have done to the car - took what I considered a negative about the stock car (the crap oem shifter & clutch) and turned it into one of the things I like best about the car.

Quote:
This. This is how Legends are made. I will do my best and share results and videos
Look forward to seeing them!

Quote:
I used to run stock callipers on my e9x M3 which was a much less capable system in general and my dust seals didn't look too bad. The flip side is without them I'm worried the AP's will get blocked up with debris from street driving, although its a weekend car so I don't do a lot. Agreed on noise, certainly drew complaints from passengers when I chose to leave track pads in! I really like PFC 11's, not sure if they are available for the stock callipers yet.
Maybe this is the solution? AP Racing - Essex Road Brake Kit. I have no experience with them but do love their racing setups. Maybe jritt@essex can chime in on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #37
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
How well does the M2 fit into TT4? What modifier do you get to use with your setup? That would be a great fit.
We talked about it in my build thread - haha!

Pretty good, even with the high horsepower (Relatively). I just can't drop any weight or make any more power. I'm stuck with BTM aero (so no adds/deletes from the base trim model aero "package") and 100 UTG tires with a max section width of 282mm. That makes choosing wheels kind of a pain since 275s don't fit too easy up front, so I either have to compromise grip or run a kind of silly 265/275 stagger.

I'm considering moving up to TT3 where I can drop some weight (exhaust, interior) and make some power (exhaust, intercooler) and run 295s or 305s out back. The winning times aren't that much different, but historically we have a lot more participation in TT4 (hello, contingencies!)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #38
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

I ran stock calipers, ATE 200 fluid, stock pads at COTA.... I wouldn't say they had a lot of fade per se, but they certainly don't have the bite of a track pad. So if you're used to diving in and really squeezing the binders on pretty hard, you won't like the stock pads. I'm buying MCVaughans Ferodos (thanks for going AP ) ... I don't care so much a out laptimes but you can't enjoy yourself on the track unless you have trust in your setup. I didn't trust the stock pads.

As for suspension I am very happy with the TC Kline setup. If I had not done that I would have sprung for the MCS duals. Twice the cost and for the few times a year I'll have my car on the track I thought TCK would be perfect.
Appreciate 3
      02-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #39
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
I ran stock calipers, ATE 200 fluid, stock pads at COTA.... I wouldn't say they had a lot of fade per se, but they certainly don't have the bite of a track pad. So if you're used to diving in and really squeezing the binders on pretty hard, you won't like the stock pads. I'm buying MCVaughans Ferodos (thanks for going AP ) ... I don't care so much a out laptimes but you can't enjoy yourself on the track unless you have trust in your setup. I didn't trust the stock pads.

As for suspension I am very happy with the TC Kline setup. If I had not done that I would have sprung for the MCS duals. Twice the cost and for the few times a year I'll have my car on the track I thought TCK would be perfect.
I plan on using TCK this year for suspension setup too. Did you corner balance your setup? Did you have to purchase adjustable end links to do corner balancing?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #40
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
We talked about it in my build thread - haha!

Pretty good, even with the high horsepower (Relatively). I just can't drop any weight or make any more power. I'm stuck with BTM aero (so no adds/deletes from the base trim model aero "package") and 100 UTG tires with a max section width of 282mm. That makes choosing wheels kind of a pain since 275s don't fit too easy up front, so I either have to compromise grip or run a kind of silly 265/275 stagger.

I'm considering moving up to TT3 where I can drop some weight (exhaust, interior) and make some power (exhaust, intercooler) and run 295s or 305s out back. The winning times aren't that much different, but historically we have a lot more participation in TT4 (hello, contingencies!)
Ha that's right! Thought we might have but I have a hard time remembering what I did two days ago at this point. That's how TT/ST3 is here too - not a whole lot going on. With my M3 the move would have to be to TT/ST2 which I'm not sure I could get the car competitive for. Hard choice - the contingencies are definitely nice! I screwed myself out of a tire this weekend because I tried to pull the backing off the stickers on the sides of my car too early - freaking $400.00 mistake!

Wheels/tires do not sound like fun trying to figure out. We fit a 275/35/18 up front with the Ohlins R&T which have a fairly large spring perch to clear so hopefully you find a setup that works out. Although some aero is nice I like the BTM + modifier on this car with how well it handles. Will be very interesting to see how it goes - definitely keep us updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post

This - I am the same way. The biggest key for me to enjoy a session is trust in the setup. That is also the first key for me to be able to push during a race or TT - knowing that mechanically the brakes are going to give you the same level of performance every time is huge mentally to give you the comfort to explore the limits.

That's awesome TCK setup has worked out so well for you.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #41
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The only way you can do it right on the racetrack and not brake till you see God is ... trackpads.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #42
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by booya_45 View Post
I plan on using TCK this year for suspension setup too. Did you corner balance your setup? Did you have to purchase adjustable end links to do corner balancing?
Great question. I did not corner balance it due to time constraints (mine), but plan on doing so. Will report back if new endlinks are needed.

Quote:
This - I am the same way. The biggest key for me to enjoy a session is trust in the setup. That is also the first key for me to be able to push during a race or TT - knowing that mechanically the brakes are going to give you the same level of performance every time is huge mentally to give you the comfort to explore the limits.

That's awesome TCK setup has worked out so well for you.
I've been very pleased with the TCK for the role in which I needed it (lowering, better ride quality over OEM when soft, and the ability to stiffen it up for the track). Arguably the MCS stuff is straight up legit - but I think it was overkill for my particular mission. Plus, TCK has a M2 comp and he tracks it a ton so he's a wealth of info and you can call him up directly. Idk, in this modern day of vendors and reps and all these middle people whose knowledge comes from reading websites and watching youtube (like us), I like being able to call the "actual guy".

Absolutely agree about the mechanical trust. It just has to be there so you can focus on doing your job... picking new deeper braking points, working on a gentle pedal release etc... when you're stressed about the parts actually doing their job, its just mental overload.

Quote:
The only way you can do it right on the racetrack and not brake till you see God is ... trackpads.
Amen.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #43
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Shifter - I have the CAE and love it. The throws are so precise and very short - and having it that much closer to the wheel is awesome. For me definitely reduces the chance of a money shift as well. It is equally as good on the street. The CAE + removing the clutch delay valve are the most enjoyable upgrade I have done to the car - took what I considered a negative about the stock car (the crap oem shifter & clutch) and turned it into one of the things I like best about the car.

Look forward to seeing them!

Maybe this is the solution? AP Racing - Essex Road Brake Kit. I have no experience with them but do love their racing setups. Maybe jritt@essex can chime in on them.
The road kits look nice, but the benefits are pretty small over the stock Brembo's I think. Slightly lighter, better cooled discs, and easier pad swaps. The downsides is they will probably discolor (although Silver would be nice to match the rears) and their sell on value is pretty much unknown. At least with the regular kits whilst eye wateringly expensive they have good sell on value. If I was going with a road kit may as well pay $3k for a Stoptech trophy.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #44
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:

On the M2 I decided not to run a high end shock like Moton, JRZ, AST, MCS's etc.
The reasoning is rebuilds. I have a set of JRZ Pro's on my 17 Miata RF and I had 2 blown shocks at the 20K mark. I drive my M2 on the street and wanted a strut that was bulletproof. I've run TCK's before and they were bulletproof.

It cost me $2K to pull my JRZ's send them out have them rebuilt then reinstalled with a comp alignment. I love the JRZ's, but not the upkeep....
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 2