BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS Price for the US: $83,600 (plus $995 Destination)

12-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #551
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

It will be interesting to see how used sales managers value the CS, which is a lot like a CS with a bunch of m performance parts added. I wonder if they will go by black book, or try to treat it like a modified car???
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #552
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
It will be interesting to see how used sales managers value the CS, which is a lot like a CS with a bunch of m performance parts added. I wonder if they will go by black book, or try to treat it like a modified car???
What? Why would they treat it like a modified car? It's a factory car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #553
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Or $11K over M2C if you consider $15K in CF parts and install (heard that approx. number mentioned in a previous thread).

So with 11K it's not bad for the exclusivity 😂
15K worth of CF parts that bring little to no value in relation to the price...
Depends who you ask. There are tons of people who had cosmetic mods to their vehicle and some would argue about its value.

The CS appeals to a certain demographic that want the CF cosmetic bits, and includes it from the factory. Sure to them maybe $83K is also not a big deal. But you sure do get a "unique" M2, for what it's worth.

I don't think BMW will have trouble finding buyers for this. If anything, it's the exotic rental places that will buy them up. These cars will be easy to maintain and the car clubs can market them as a special vehicle.
      12-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #554
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Nothing with a fake vent stuck on the side should ever wear an M let alone a CS badge.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #555
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm surprised they didn't use the carbon fake vent. It looks like they used the black ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #556
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
What? Why would they treat it like a modified car? It's a factory car.
Agreed with this. The CS is a factory car. Resale value should be fine. However the CCBS may affect resale due to their high cost of replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #557
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Nothing with a fake vent stuck on the side should ever wear an M let alone a CS badge.
It was possible though. M2 M Performance Parts CF fenders:

12-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #558
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Had to have been a functional vent.

This isn't an Audi - it's an M car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #559
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Because Hellcat?!
Lol

Exactly

They were offering $100 off per HP. That's a $7,070 discount off a Hellcat!!!
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1206.00
ASAP10051.00
      12-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #560
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Had to have been a functional vent.
This isn't an Audi - it's an M car.
See here (1M trivia):
Quote:
I repost some 1M development info/trivia over here for the second generation buyers:
About the lack of CF roof and functional side vents:
"Was at M studio this week [October 2011] as part of my ED and got to talk for to a lead engineer for quite a while. He clarified that these front fender areas that now suggest the vents, originally were meant to have real functional vents. They'd be even bigger than the ~2cm they are now. (Thus cutting them open in the shape they are now would apparently not provide much aerodynamic benefit, i.e. release significant wheel well air pressure). However they couldn't get the fender sheet stamping molds accurate enough within the allotted time/budget. Particularly the two fenders sides exactly mirroring each other in shape proved too hard to achieve with functional vents. Pity, but I do respect that they either do it right or not at all."
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...7#post10576587

"[T]hey were tight on a budget plus they were really running out of time. So only one interior color was approved. Same went for some of the other "things" M wanted to do to the car. Like functional vents in the front fenders (the crease), they wanted to produce a carbon fiber roof, but they were running out of time. So in the end their hands were tied by time and budget."
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0#post13996580

This render shows the 1M with functional side vents and CF roof (as was initially intended but did not come to fruition due to tight time and budget constraints):

More renders of the functional side vents:

Attachment 1278748
Name:  1M_Front_Fender.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  1M_Front_Fender_2.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  237.4 KB
Hankdoll135.50
      12-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #561
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Quote:
This should have certainly been on the M2cs
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      12-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #562
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
It's really funny, but effectively the M2CS is to the M2C the way a Cayman GTS is to a Cayman. You get a bunch of the most popular features in a bundle at a slight discount (including adaptive suspension which you can't get on the M2C), plus some extra HP thrown in for good measure. Seems like good value for money to me, if you like the options BMW is bundling into the CS.

How come when I visit Rennlist I don't see 8,342 posts screaming about how "Porsche has screwed the pooch on this one. Cayman GTS is just a Cayman with some carbon fiber bits bolted on"? Or "Why the hell would anybody pay that premium when you can just get after market tune and carbon bits for a lower price"? Or "Anybody who would buy a Cayman GTS is a complete idiot"?

I get that everyone's got their own definition as to what "good value" is, but... damn! You read through some of these posts and if I didn't know any better, I would think that with the release of the M2CS, BMW has also decided to bomb forum members' ancestral homelands and murder forum members' pets.

Somebody else said it earlier, can't remember exact wording, but effectively sentiment was "Why are you so angry about the car? If you don't like it and don't think it's good value... don't buy it!"
Same. Value is always going to be at the bottom of the hierarchy, not the top. Cars built for niche markets and specific buyers arent going to be the ones that show value.

Not to mention, carbon fiber aint near as expensive as what they charge for it. margin is insane.

BMW isnt trying to show value, they are trying to price a car at a price point that 2k of them or whatever will sell. if they had to move 100k of them it wouldnt be priced at 85k+
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #563
Hegge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Same. Value is always going to be at the bottom of the hierarchy, not the top. Cars built for niche markets and specific buyers arent going to be the ones that show value.

Not to mention, carbon fiber aint near as expensive as what they charge for it. margin is insane.

BMW isnt trying to show value, they are trying to price a car at a price point that 2k of them or whatever will sell. if they had to move 100k of them it wouldnt be priced at 85k+
Agreed with this. While $83K is a lot, it is a lot cheaper than the 911 Carrera S that I built at $137K. Some on Rennlist are griping that the Carrera S is approaching GT3 levels of pricing. German sports coupes are luxury items that will continue to be priced high especially limited edition versions. Just wait until the 992 GT3 and Turbo get priced. Look at the M8 and M8 competition. Wait until the G80 M3 and G82 M4 CS.

Limited edition versions like the CS will continue to be priced high. They are not intended to be sold in droves like the base or competition models. Same like the 911 GT3. The base models of these cars are fantastic and a better value for the money. Don't make it bother you if you can't afford the limited edition models.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
devo755.00
      12-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #564
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

The difference between the base and GTS Cayman models has nothing to do with carbon fiber parts.

Yes, some of the more popular/sporty elements come with the GTS at a slight discount compared to base/S model upgrades. However, the Porsche cash register (configurator) runs on forever, and the costs accumulate quickly for ANY model.

Regarding the M2C versus M2CS, and how it relates to the Porsche . . . Porsche model price jumps are performance-based. Most significantly, engine based. Yes, the 718 S and GTS models both have the same 2.5L engine, BUT the GTS has numerous additional performance parts – not superficial carbon fiber parts.

So, as I have said before – and many can disagree – BMW already released the M2CS and it is called the M2C. When did this occur? The moment BMW decided to throw the S55 engine into the M2. No significant value or performance to be added from there. Well, not $25K+ in increased value and certainly not in performance.

This has never been about ‘dissing’ the M2CS, as much as it has been about the incredible value of the M2C. If you want to compare Porsche models, best to start by considering ‘what if’ Porsche released a base 718 with the GTS engine – at the base price. That is exactly what BMW did when introducing the S55 to the M2.

///AVM

EDIT:

Plus, once and for all, can we please dispel this notion that all these carbon fiber parts and other aesthetic desires have anything whatsoever to do with performance.

The overwhelming majority of owners that are placing all these aftermarket carbon fiber and similar ‘performance’ parts will NEVER sniff a track. They simply like the aesthetics (or acoustics). Perfectly fine, but of zero relation to track performance that is so often referenced.

As for the M2CS, how much lighter is it than the M2C???????

Rant over.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 12-05-2019 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: More to say
Appreciate 3
JCZ51482.50
Tornado1M1206.00
      12-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #565
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I agree with the uselessness of carbon bits unless they are being used to lower the center of gravity. I still speculate that the with reduction in the roof would be unnoticeable in all but the most extreme high speed cornering.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      12-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #566
Hegge
Banned
Rep

It will be interesting when reviews start trickling in. It may not be until March or so. Don't think there will be a big press test drive event for a limited edition car.

When does US sales begin? January since start of production is 1st quarter in March?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #567
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Depends who you ask. There are tons of people who had cosmetic mods to their vehicle and some would argue about its value.

The CS appeals to a certain demographic that want the CF cosmetic bits, and includes it from the factory. Sure to them maybe $83K is also not a big deal. But you sure do get a "unique" M2, for what it's worth.

I don't think BMW will have trouble finding buyers for this. If anything, it's the exotic rental places that will buy them up. These cars will be easy to maintain and the car clubs can market them as a special vehicle.
Uh huh just like they had no trouble finding buyers for the M3 and M4 CS without discounting them 20k.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #568
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, but any discount on the CS will be more palatable as the absolute dollar amount will be less. An $83k CS will not be discounted to $63k. At $75-76k you'll have people crawling all over them. While the C is the better buy it also creates a stable value floor for the CS.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #569
Hegge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Yeah, but any discount on the CS will be more palatable as the absolute dollar amount will be less. An $83k CS will not be discounted to $63k. At $75-76k you'll have people crawling all over them. While the C is the better buy it also creates a stable value floor for the CS.
Dave is right. $83K base is a lot lower than $100k. The M2 market is different. There was a shortage and a large waiting list in 2016 when it debuted. I think most of the allocations in the US for the CS will be taken through customer orders. I would not expect many to sit on lots since most dealers will only get about 3 cars tops. Plus the demand appears to be higher for a M2 CS than for an M3 CS.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #570
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Let's not kid ourselves - it's a great car just not for the money. Much like the M4 and M3 CS.

Anyone buying this with the feeling that this will be a better car is delusional. People buying this as a collectible - similarly delusional.

Those buying it for exclusivity and because they can't be arsed modding - realistic.
Appreciate 4
Tornado1M1206.00
smknjoe234.00
PLF693762.50
BigHunk269.50
      12-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #571
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
This has never been about ‘dissing’ the M2CS, as much as it has been about the incredible value of the M2C.
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Plus, once and for all, can we please dispel this notion that all these carbon fiber parts and other aesthetic desires have anything whatsoever to do with performance.
Pretty much, although I would argue that the larger front spoiler and vented hood should offer a slight improvement in cooling and reducing front end lift (not that they need to be made from carbon fiber)

Anyhow, as I think Poochie pointed out earlier in this thread, when one looks beyond the pretty new bits on the M2 CS the only truly significant difference I see is the fully integrated M adaptive suspension (which many serious track rats would likely swap out for high end coilovers anyway)
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      12-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #572
Hegge
Banned
Rep

Wink

Quote:
Let's not kid ourselves - it's a great car just not for the money. Much like the M4 and M3 CS.

Anyone buying this with the felling that this will be a better car is delusional. People buying this as a collectible - similarly delusional.

Those buying it for exclusivity and because they can't be arsed modding - realistic.
I agree with this. I'm looking for the most advanced M2 and I'm not interested at all in modding myself. Plus a new 911 Carrera S is too pricey at this time.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50