BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Electric BMW 3 Series Reportedly Coming to Frankfurt Auto Show in September

06-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #67
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Depends upon what part of the country you live in. If your electric power is hydropower based you are being pretty environmentally friendly. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the next ten years, maybe hydrogen will eventually be the fuel of the future.
That's fair - but I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of the "grid" comes from non-renewable sources.

Wind, solar, and hydropower are where we should be investing....
You'll take Rex Tillerson's oil and you'll like it, dammit!
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      06-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #68
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Because they will end up out of business if they don't.
This is pure conjecture on my part, but from my point of view, the whole electric car thing is a massive farce from the perspective of helping the environment.

If you get your electricity from a power plant that burns coal, is there much difference between a Prius and an M3? Perhaps there is...but it doesn't seem very obvious to me.

Now if you're talking about hydrogen, which is the most abundant element in the universe and only produces water as it's being used as a fuel....well, that makes some sense. Of course the gas/oil companies don't want that, and the global network of fuel transportation and procurement would have to change, but utilizing a truly clean burning fuel should move that environmental needle much more effectively.

Electric cars feel like an enormous marketing exercise, nothing more.
Go drive a few instant torque is no joke. I'd prefer 1 EV for daily and another plugin hybrid fire breathing dragon that has emotors to supply torque fill.

Fool Cell, not an option in my book.

Soon you will not be able to drive in a city if your car emits fumes to keep our city's air clean. Many us cities have a no idle policy that your car must be turned off while sitting at a light and for good reason. I will take a plugin M2 CSL for example the M4 CSL is a hybrid we just have no details on that car, but that is what is under the skin.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #69
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I just traded my i3 on a 2017 330e. Have owned and tracked Nissan GTR, Porsche Carrera S, two Ferraris , '65 Shelby GT350 and many other performance cars in my time. Loved everything about the i3 (and particularly it's stoplight grand prix performance) EXCEPT it's coal cart ride over my areas' pot-holed urban streets. I have an at-home level 2 charger and the only time I use gas power in the 330e is when I go over 50 MPH on the interstate. The 330e is also not restricted to a local car only, as the 66 mi range i3 was. Where I combined trips in my 911 to be sure that I fully warmed up the oil whenever I drove it, I feel no compunction about taking multiple short hops in the i3 or 330e. I think an all-electric 3 is a great idea. I suspect that the plug-in hybrid model of the new X3 is probably awaiting the new Samsung higher energy density cells (and that will tell us when the all-electric 3 is going to come). Having had a hybrid car, a plug-in hybrid electric car, and an all-electric car; I have formed a definite opinion. With two cars, one will be a plug-in all-rounder and the other will be all-electric for purely local use. It's unfortunate that BMW didn't have an all-electric with a decent ride over pot-holed roads when my three years with the i3 were up. I compromised with the current 330e plug-in. Next year, when the 528i lease is up, it'll be replaced with the 530e, unless the new X3 with the new higher density batteries is available and then the 330e will be replaced with the all-electric 3. Isn't it great that BMW makes so many different types of cars--something for each of us.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #70
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
so this will be based on the current 3 series body? strange when the remodel is just around the corner.
I figure they could show an electric G30 as a symbolic effort, or they could show a concept previewing the F20. What I don't think is likely is an actual production ready car, be it in G30 or F20 form. The timing just doesn't work for either.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #71
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

My wife and I drove a Chevy Bolt last weekend. The drive train is great. I was sitting there telling my Wife if BMW made my F80 with that drive train (and 400hp)in RWD format I'd buy it and pay the same price I payed for my F80.

I also thought it was sad the GM thought electric cars should look like the Bolt. It's not bad looking but it doesn't appeal to me or my wife. To add to the that the cloth seats were terribly uncomfortable and the suspension was garbage.

My half time commuter car is a 2013 Nissan Leaf with coilovers and upgraded wheels. Best and most reliable car I have ever owned.

Please BMW make an M electric car.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #72
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
My wife and I drove a Chevy Bolt last weekend. The drive train is great. I was sitting there telling my Wife if BMW made my F80 with that drive train (and 400hp)in RWD format I'd buy it and pay the same price I payed for my F80.

I also thought it was sad the GM thought electric cars should look like the Bolt. It's not bad looking but it doesn't appeal to me or my wife. To add to the that the cloth seats were terribly uncomfortable and the suspension was garbage.

My half time commuter car is a 2013 Nissan Leaf with coilovers and upgraded wheels. Best and most reliable car I have ever owned.

Please BMW make an M electric car.
Funny I've have heard the same thing from many people that the seats are very uncomfortable and brutal for longer commutes.

I haven't sat it one but thought it was funny that I've heard that before from others who've drove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #73
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You'll take Rex Tillerson's oil and you'll like it, dammit!
Oil will have a role for a long time. But if we were smart, we would invest in renewable energy options for the non-sexy power requirements (think home, government, office buildings) so that we could still have fun with the oil/gas powered relics.
      06-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #74
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Quote:
Good for BMW. Tesla has a substantial lead in brand, technology and design when it comes to electrics. Porsche and BMW need to catch-up fast. Doubt GM or Ford can as electric does not appeal to their customer base.
GM is not so far behind. The Chevy Bolt seems to be a winner. Tesla should be very concerned.
Yes and the Volt was also a very good hybrid but they didn't sell that well compared to the Prius. My point is people that buy Chevy don't buy electric cars and Chevy will be unable to woo Tesla buyers in mass based on style, brand and design.
My point is GM nailed it with the Bolt. And now they can spread the tech across GM divisions. It will only get better. And the Bolt is here now. It's range exceeds that of the 3. Tesla can't be happy.
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #75
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post
The Chevrolet bolt is also butt ugly, tiny, front wheel drive, and not remotely interesting. It's a Nissan Leaf that has longer range. Boring. Worse, it's a $35,000 Honda Fit. Who wants that?

Tesla has been so successful because they are making desirable cars that are competitive in their price range. If you're looking to spend $70-100k on a car, you could either buy a 5-series/7-series or you could buy a Tesla Model S. Both cars are sporty and luxurious. One is electric the other is gas. If you're a progressive or environmentally-minded person, the Tesla is the obvious choice.

On the other hand, if you're going to spend $35k on a car, you could buy a 3-series or a chevy bolt. I'm a fan of electric cars, but I'd take the 3-series every time. It's in an entirely different league of performance and luxury (not to mention style). If the Tesla Model 3 is remotely competitive with the BMW 3er in terms of sportiness, quality, and luxury then that would be the obvious choice (we already know the Model 3 is stylish).

I predict the Model 3 is big competition for the BMW 3er, Audi A4, etc. Apparently BMW thinks so too...
Maybe you should actually try one before criticising it. Have you even seen one in person?
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50
      06-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #76
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Go drive a few instant torque is no joke. I'd prefer 1 EV for daily and another plugin hybrid fire breathing dragon that has emotors to supply torque fill.

Soon you will not be able to drive in a city if your car emits fumes to keep our city's air clean. Many us cities have a no idle policy that your car must be turned off while sitting at a light and for you reason. I will take a plugin M2 CSL for example the M4 CSL is a hybrid we just have no details on that car, but that is what is under the skin.
I have been lucky enough to ride in a Tesla, and yes - the initial speed is quite intoxicating. And the car is very nice and has a lot of interesting features, tech, etc. But I am not sure it would have a lasting impact, such that I would actually want to purchase a car like that.

The main problem is noise, or the lack thereof. I know the industry is constantly moving farther away from the type of "involvement" that an enthusiast enjoys, but the electric car experience is really strange in my opinion. I have always thought my F80 was quiet (especially in comparison to my 981), but this is on a whole other level...

I do like the idea of a hybrid setup (think Porsche 918), where you get the benefits of both gasoline and electric power. But electric on its own? Not for me.
      06-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #77
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Maybe you should actually try one before criticising it. Have you even seen one in person?
Yes. I think it's ugly. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #78
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:

Soon you will not be able to drive in a city if your car emits fumes to keep our city's air clean. Many us cities have a no idle policy that your car must be turned off while sitting at a light and for you reason. I will take a plugin M2 CSL for example the M4 CSL is a hybrid we just have no details on that car, but that is what is under the skin.
I have been lucky enough to ride in a Tesla, and yes - the initial speed is quite intoxicating. And the car is very nice and has a lot of interesting features, tech, etc. But I am not sure it would have a lasting impact, such that I would actually want to purchase a car like that.

The main problem is noise, or the lack thereof. I know the industry is constantly moving farther away from the type of "involvement" that an enthusiast enjoys, but the electric car experience is really strange in my opinion. I have always thought my F80 was quiet (especially in comparison to my 981), but this is on a whole other level...

I do like the idea of a hybrid setup (think Porsche 918), where you get the benefits of both gasoline and electric power. But electric on its own? Not for me.
The model S is a fucking boat.

Go drive the roadster Sport.

Tesla has shown a glimpse into the performance potential however Tesla is going to have to step up their game.

Go watch Chris Harris Drive the P1 around the Dubai circuit go watch it.

As Chris says...

"It's a whole new thing"

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #79
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you get your electricity from a power plant that burns coal,
The majority of the world does not live in the US or China, so this really is not an issue.
Appreciate 2
dmboone254970.50
      06-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #80
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Source?
All articles say so.

E.g:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...ew-hot-s-model
"- Technically, the new model remains the same as the existing i3 – itself updated in 2016 with a 94Ah lithium ion battery
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #81
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough. But I would not call it small, it is a pretty big car. Well, maybe not 'mericuh big, but rest of the world big.

There are a couple guys with Bolts on our local car racing forum. I was shocked how big they are. Impressive car, especially the range for the amount they cost. They both get much better range than advertised, and that's here in cold assed Canada.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #82
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good for BMW. Tesla has a substantial lead in brand, technology and design when it comes to electrics. Porsche and BMW need to catch-up fast. Doubt GM or Ford can as electric does not appeal to their customer base.
GM is not so far behind. The Chevy Bolt seems to be a winner. Tesla should be very concerned.
Yes and the Volt was also a very good hybrid but they didn't sell that well compared to the Prius. My point is people that buy Chevy don't buy electric cars and Chevy will be unable to woo Tesla buyers in mass based on style, brand and design.
Nothing is uglier then a Prius. The designers must be on LSD. No accounting for fugly.
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #83
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

don't get me wrong - Tesla have great cars - I gotta get me that model X.

But on the otherhand, they don't even have the capacity to bring the 3 into production yet. I feel sorry for all those people who put a prepayment down but that money was most likely used to fund everything else. Are they even going to last?
      06-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #84
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Nothing is uglier then a Prius. The designers must be on LSD. No accounting for fugly.
Hey now. Don't insult LSD like that.
Jbrock22221.50
      06-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #85
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
The majority of the world does not live in the US or China, so this really is not an issue.
Except for the fact that the US and China produce the majority of the world's pollution, so....
      06-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #86
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Depends upon what part of the country you live in. If your electric power is hydropower based you are being pretty environmentally friendly. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the next ten years, maybe hydrogen will eventually be the fuel of the future.
Enter your state to see your power grid breakdown by source:
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/vehicles..._emissions.php

For example, West Virginia is 95% coal, but Massachusetts (where I live) is 5.8% coal.

Also interesting is the emissions difference between EV, Hybrid, and Gasoline powered vehicles taking into account your state's power sources (for example, worst case scenario is WV, where EV is only marginally better from an emissions standpoint compared to traditional).
Appreciate 2
dmboone254970.50
Red Bread4462.00
      06-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #87
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

And in case anyone missed it, Porsche claims 50% production will be electric in a short 6 years (2023).

And that Mission E is one sexy looking car. 250-300 mile range, 0-60 in 3.5s and 80% charge in 15 minutes.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/26/porsc...les-mission-e/
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #88
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
And in case anyone missed it, Porsche claims 50% production will be electric in a short 6 years (2023).

And that Mission E is one sexy looking car. 250-300 mile range, 0-60 in 3.5s and 80% charge in 15 minutes.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/26/porsc...les-mission-e/
Damn. That is some serious business.

Appreciate 0