BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Still waiting for my M2...

05-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
M2bean
KELLY
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, MG Metallic 228i

Still waiting for my M2...

Hi all,

So, my dealer is useless when it comes to informing me. I've tried but I think they're just avoiding me now because they literally don't know where my car is. I got a production number in early March. By the time I checked through the BMW website it was already at status 112. It was moving at a normal pace and got stopped in assembly several weeks due to the factory closing for Easter. The car was finished and rolled off the assembly line April 14. Within 2 days it was transported and sitting at the port waiting for a boat.

And that's the status it's still at. I called genius about a week and a half ago to which they told me there were no holds or custom issues with it, but they didn't have a ship out date for it. We're going on 6 weeks past completion date and I have no idea if the car is even on a boat. Has anyone had this happen before? Is there a possibility it missed a scan while being loaded on the boat and no one knows where it is until it reaches the port? I'm ready to pull my hair out because I have now been waiting six months total for this car since putting my order in and knowing that it's so close but no one seems to know where the hell it is is driving me mad.

Does anyone have any insight on how to possibly get more information? If I don't know something by next week I think I might just show up to the dealer and ask for the GM
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
M2bean
KELLY
Rep

Just incase anyone is interested since the post didn't receive any responses, the dealer is now claiming that someone locked the keys in the car at Bremerhaven. Is this even possible? I would think at this day in age in a car like this it would be seriously hard to do, unless they were for some unknown reason locked in the trunk, which I STILL don't know that the car would allow this to happen with all of its features.

Any insight as to whether or not I am being fed a line? If that's the case, I don't appreciate how lax the dealer has been on their own follow up, their communication with me (I only received a response after I threatened to go elsewhere for the car), and I especially don't appreciate being lied to and taken for a fool.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I think you are being lied to. I can unlock my M2 with my iPhone. I am sure the port has an easy way to unlock the car if needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I think you are being lied to. I can unlock my M2 with my iPhone. I am sure the port has an easy way to unlock the car if needed.
How do you unlock the car with your phone, bmw connected app? I'm guessing the car was damaged and they are fixing it or something and not telling you.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
M2bean
KELLY
Rep

Quote:
This was my thought as well, so not only am I mad about how this has all been handled, I'm especially angry now that they're lying and thinking I am some kind of idiot.
Appreciate 1
DanG10444.00
      05-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
How do you unlock the car with your phone, bmw connected app? I'm guessing the car was damaged and they are fixing it or something and not telling you.
Yes the BMW Connect app.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
M2bean
KELLY
Rep

In regards to damage though, BMW genius told me there were no holds or issues with customs with it, so wouldn't damage constitute as a hold? The guy on the line had to ask me for the production number twice, as he said this is extremely rare that it would take so long to ship at its current status and he hasn't seen this happen in years.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2bean View Post
In regards to damage though, BMW genius told me there were no holds or issues with customs with it, so wouldn't damage constitute as a hold? The guy on the line had to ask me for the production number twice, as he said this is extremely rare that it would take so long to ship at its current status and he hasn't seen this happen in years.
Also keep in mind there is the other M2 with VIN # very close to yours also had significant delay. I would assume the two cars arrived at the port around the same time. My guess is something happened to that batch on that day.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Hi all,

So, my dealer is useless when it comes to informing me. I've tried but I think they're just avoiding me now because they literally don't know where my car is. I got a production number in early March. By the time I checked through the BMW website it was already at status 112. It was moving at a normal pace and got stopped in assembly several weeks due to the factory closing for Easter. The car was finished and rolled off the assembly line April 14. Within 2 days it was transported and sitting at the port waiting for a boat.

And that's the status it's still at. I called genius about a week and a half ago to which they told me there were no holds or custom issues with it, but they didn't have a ship out date for it. We're going on 6 weeks past completion date and I have no idea if the car is even on a boat. Has anyone had this happen before? Is there a possibility it missed a scan while being loaded on the boat and no one knows where it is until it reaches the port? I'm ready to pull my hair out because I have now been waiting six months total for this car since putting my order in and knowing that it's so close but no one seems to know where the hell it is is driving me mad.

Does anyone have any insight on how to possibly get more information? If I don't know something by next week I think I might just show up to the dealer and ask for the GM
If damage is an issue, it will get fixed once vehicle hits the destined country port where they would do all inspection before sending them to the dealer before PDI.
Highly likely a chance that BMW or Steamshipline has missed the booking for the vehicle and missed the boat. So it has to wait for next available spot to be shipped.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
If damage is an issue, it will get fixed once vehicle hits the destined country port where they would do all inspection before sending them to the dealer before PDI.
Highly likely a chance that BMW or Steamshipline has missed the booking for the vehicle and missed the boat. So it has to wait for next available spot to be shipped.
The issue is that other M2 that was built almost 1 month after his already arrived at NY 10 days ago, and his car is not even on the ship yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohh View Post
The issue is that other M2 that was built almost 1 month after his already arrived at NY 10 days ago, and his car is not even on the ship yet.
Yes, that is unfortunate.
At this point, there is nothing he can do other than pushing the dealer to check and ship it ASAP. OP's dealer will have to communicate with BMW at Germany to arrange shipping of the vehicle ASAP.

At least it is actually wise to be MAD at dealer and make them to act on this and give him an update regular bases. If his order somehow delays even more or gets canceled for any reason. He should ask for something (at least discount or some free parts to be added).

Dealers should figure out the exact reason for the delay and they should be able to figure out the reason within few days even if their system does not show the exact reason on tracking. If they do not provide prompt information, I should say that they are lazy and not providing adequate customer service.
Appreciate 1
M2bean19.00
      05-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #12
M2bean
KELLY
Rep

Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

I'm pretty sure that the dealer is just making something up to cover the fact that they failed to make sure the car was moving. It does seem that we have a very LAX CA. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that locking the keys in the car at the port is something that can happen, or something that would cause such a lengthy delay. BMW can open the car doors remotely if needed.

With that said, I really, REALLY don't appreciate being lied to. It's not okay. We received a response on May 10 that he "assumed it has been on the water several days by now." Well, we all know what ASSUMING does. And it's also not knowing. And that was the last time we received any kind of response. I find that completely unacceptable, because here we are a full THREE WEEKS after that date, and how many ships have come and gone and it's managed to miss every single one of them.

I don't really know what to do at this point. I have been waiting since December for this car. And there's a new version coming out later this year, making this whole experience more disappointing. I can't say I want the competition over this version, but regardless I do like having the latest and greatest. The amount of time I have this car to drive around before the new ones hit the States is dwindling.

Someone is going to have to do something. The CA actually said yesterday, "if we don't see movement by tomorrow we will contact him" [their port contact, whom I am not even sure is even in Germany or in the states]. And I'm all about NOT doing any waiting or sitting anymore, and someone actually DO SOMETHING rather than letting more weeks go by?!

My husband makes me laugh in that he's wanting the performance exhaust package for his car over this. I'm like haha, oh no honey - it's me and MY CAR that wants some sort of incentive. How about some carbon accessories, for starters.

Last edited by M2bean; 05-31-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
Brent951
Rep
Drives: 95' E36 M3 / 18' F80 M3

Quote:
Hi all,

FYI my F80 has been doing the same thing as well, completed production April 4th and finally changed to handed over to carrier or assigned carrier on May 14th. So yeah, it was sitting at the plant after production for over a month and now states it's still in assigned carrier and hasn't moved to the transport phase or arrived at the port, so I'm not sure what's up either. I contacted everyone and nobody seems to know what the hold up is, my dealer sent me a list of ships leaving in June and said it's supposed to leave on June 3rd but I have a feeling it's just a guess since it's not even at the port yet. Let me know if you want that list if yours is shipping to the west coast.

-Brent
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
M2bean
KELLY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent951 View Post
FYI my F80 has been doing the same thing as well, completed production April 4th and finally changed to handed over to carrier or assigned carrier on May 14th. So yeah, it was sitting at the plant after production for over a month and now states it's still in assigned carrier and hasn't moved to the transport phase or arrived at the port, so I'm not sure what's up either. I contacted everyone and nobody seems to know what the hold up is, my dealer sent me a list of ships leaving in June and said it's supposed to leave on June 3rd but I have a feeling it's just a guess since it's not even at the port yet. Let me know if you want that list if yours is shipping to the west coast.

-Brent
Thank you, but I think I am good there. Mine has been sitting at the port since April 19th. If there really is nothing wrong with it, it has to just keep getting missed somehow. How is beyond me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
Brent951
Rep
Drives: 95' E36 M3 / 18' F80 M3

Quote:
Thank you, but I think I am good there. Mine has been sitting at the port since April 19th. If there really is nothing wrong with it, it has to just keep getting missed somehow. How is beyond me.
Got it, yeah I have no idea what's going on, if it's not on the boat by Monday like they said it would be then I'm at a loss to what's going on. Does the new online tracking status "My Garage" show it as sitting at the port as well when you put the cursor over the check box?

Mine shows

Finish

Awaiting carrier assignment
A carrier has been assigned to take care of your BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:05 PM   #16
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

I'm pretty sure that the dealer is just making something up to cover the fact that they failed to make sure the car was moving. It does seem that we have a very LAX CA. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that locking the keys in the car at the port is something that can happen, or something that would cause such a lengthy delay. BMW can open the car doors remotely if needed.

With that said, I really, REALLY don't appreciate being lied to. It's not okay. We received a response on May 10 that he "assumed it has been on the water several days by now." Well, we all know what ASSUMING does. And it's also not knowing. And that was the last time we received any kind of response. I find that completely unacceptable, because here we are a full THREE WEEKS after that date, and how many ships have come and gone and it's managed to miss every single one of them.

I don't really know what to do at this point. I have been waiting since December for this car. And there's a new version coming out later this year, making this whole experience more disappointing. I can't say I want the competition over this version, but regardless I do like having the latest and greatest. The amount of time I have this car to drive around before the new ones hit the States is dwindling.

Someone is going to have to do something. The CA actually said yesterday, "if we don't see movement by tomorrow we will contact him" [their port contact, whom I am not even sure is even in Germany or in the states]. And I'm all about NOT doing any waiting or sitting anymore, and someone actually DO SOMETHING rather than letting more weeks go by?!

My husband makes me laugh in that he's wanting the performance exhaust package for his car over this. I'm like haha, oh no honey - it's me and MY CAR that wants some sort of incentive. How about some carbon accessories, for starters.
Have you try to contact BMW NA directly? Send them your VIN and situation and see what they can do.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #17
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Have you try to contact BMW NA directly? Send them your VIN and situation and see what they can do.
Actually it would be BMWUSA in New Jersey that she should contact.

Hopefully they can help her.

1-800-831-1117 for Customer Relations
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #18
M2bean
KELLY
Rep

Quote:
Actually it would be BMWUSA in New Jersey that she should contact.

Hopefully they can help her.

1-800-831-1117 for Customer Relations
Thanks, I will try over my lunch break in a few since my dealer has, once again, decided not to respond to my e-mail I sent this morning 5 hours ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #19
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I will try over my lunch break in a few since my dealer has, once again, decided not to respond to my e-mail I sent this morning 5 hours ago.
See below what was offered to this guy by BMW USA. Not exactly the same scenario but you should see what they can do.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1476246
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #20
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
My car showed at the port waiting for a ship long after delivery. Search the net to learn how to track the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:04 PM   #21
M2bean
KELLY
Rep

Quote:
See below what was offered to this guy by BMW USA. Not exactly the same scenario but you should see what they can do.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1476246
thank you. I sure hope I don't get "car is no longer available." But, something.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #22
M2bean
KELLY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
My car showed at the port waiting for a ship long after delivery. Search the net to learn how to track the car.
we have tracked it - according to BMW, dealer, and no record of the vin on the shipping website, it's at the port.
Appreciate 0