BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > APR front splitter or recommended equal

10-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
Hawkdriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [10.00]
APR front splitter or recommended equal

My M2 (OG) is not my daily, maybe driven once a month on the road but at least one weekend a month on track. I would like to add a front splitter but not one of these cosmetic ones that don't really do anything. I'm looking at APRs entry that has connecting rods in front. Has anyone had experience with this one or another that actually has front downforce to balance a rear wing? These things get beat up so I'm not interested in spending $1k to $2k every time I break one.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

A fellow at COTA a couple of weeks back was sporting the APR piece on his OG M2. He stated that it was very sturdy and secure...he said you could even step on it and it wouldn’t deflect too much. Also said it was a difficult install...not sure from what standpoint tho. I will say it looked terrific and completely functional...but did not extend out excessively. He didn’t have any supplemental rear aero installed at the time.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
Hawkdriver
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C AW View Post
A fellow at COTA a couple of weeks back was sporting the APR piece on his OG M2. He stated that it was very sturdy and secure...he said you could even step on it and it wouldn’t deflect too much. Also said it was a difficult install...not sure from what standpoint tho. I will say it looked terrific and completely functional...but did not extend out excessively. He didn’t have any supplemental rear aero installed at the time.
If you can step on it, that's a good sign.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:28 PM   #4
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Too bad we don't have pics. I personally like ABS ones better as well given their functionality and non CF look. ACS has one I like bit lot of money if you damage it.
      11-04-2020, 02:41 AM   #5
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

Contact MFR Engineering out in CA. They have full alumininum splitters and have done some work on OG M2's as well as Comps. Their stuff is known for being super robust and strong. They'll ship u the splitter as well as any hardware needed to install it.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldM2 View Post
Contact MFR Engineering out in CA. They have full alumininum splitters and have done some work on OG M2's as well as Comps. Their stuff is known for being super robust and strong. They'll ship u the splitter as well as any hardware needed to install it.
looks aggressive for sure. I like it but not sure about the hardware/installed look.
      11-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #7
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

It's more of a lip than a splitter, but I have wished that someone would make a piece like fall-line does/did for the E9X. Flat bottomed, clean in appearance and intakes for brake ducting :shrug:. I've personally never been a fan of exposed hardware for splitters.

Appreciate 1
      11-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
It's more of a lip than a splitter, but I have wished that someone would make a piece like fall-line does/did for the E9X. Flat bottomed, clean in appearance and intakes for brake ducting :shrug:. I've personally never been a fan of exposed hardware for splitters.

+1 for this splitter.
      11-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
Hawkdriver
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldM2 View Post
Thank you. They don't advertise anything outside of a limited BMW offering but their stuff looks solid.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
Hawkdriver
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post

This looks clean for the street but actually functional in an aerodynamic sense. A decent dam plus an extension to the underbody. $2800 is a touch high for something I'll likely crack or rip off at some point.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #11
imolam3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Imola M3, 2017 AW M2 PE

I am going to have Powerstream make me a splitter from their proprietary composite plastic material. Practically indestructible. Waiting for the shop CAD file for the mounting brackets and the splitter measurements to send in for the cut.

http://powerstreamindustries.com/pho...x.cfm?gid=8899

I had the APR splitter on my M3. It’s a show piece. Sort of flimsy.
2017 Alpine White M2 Performance Edition
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdriver View Post
My M2 (OG) is not my daily, maybe driven once a month on the road but at least one weekend a month on track. I would like to add a front splitter but not one of these cosmetic ones that don't really do anything. I'm looking at APRs entry that has connecting rods in front. Has anyone had experience with this one or another that actually has front downforce to balance a rear wing? These things get beat up so I'm not interested in spending $1k to $2k every time I break one.
To get something with an appreciable amount of downforce on the track and still be able to drive the car on the street without tearing it off I think the best way to go about it with a setup that incorporates a removable lower piece. Something like this RKP lip - the lower piece is also available in FRP.

The other way to go could be to see if you have a local shop that can fab a lower piece for you at whatever length you want specifically for the track. Plywood is pretty common; we have used a material called Tegris as well that I really like too (sheets can be bought but the anything you make cannot be resold due to Nascar's patent rights). ABS, aluminum, alumilite, fiberglass, carbon fiber. Depending on how you want to attach it and how rigid you make it will determine if you need to use stanchions or cables to support it. Personally I would try to avoid them if possible for aesthetic reasons on a car that does see street time. This would be the option I would try to go with personally.

You can also look into canards, tunnels (diffusors) in the lower splitter, etc to help generate more downforce. Also want to make sure spring rates, ride height, etc are ok with the downforce you add.

Last edited by OG Shark; 11-08-2020 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #13
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Lightweight performance make this lip. I'm sure it has facilities for brake ducting too
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-09-2020, 04:37 AM   #14
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

MKR engineering do a similar one for the M2C

https://mkr-engineering.de/collectio...etition-carbon

My worry with both is they are CF and jut out quite a bit without the sword being movable. I live near a bunch of nasty speedbump

I got a cheap plastic splitter from a guy in the UK and plan to add another piece underneath for trackdays.

https://restore44.co.uk/products/bmw...er-coming-soon

like OG Shark I dont like the idea of tension rods/cables so will have to do some HW on what material can cantilever that far out.
      11-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #15
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

lightweight is nice looking for the price but AC Schnitzer is my favorite.