BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Does it make sense at this stage to hop into a 6spd M2C from an OG DCT M2?

10-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #23
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

I was torn between an LCI OG M2 and the M2C for a while, and I will say they are two completely different cars. People with OG M2's usually downplay it a bit to justify their original purchase, which isn't a bad thing. The M2 is a great car and I would definitely do the same, but coming from a Subaru it's a little easier for me to be unbiased. They are both amazing cars, just very different beasts.

Once I drove both cars back to back I knew which one I had to have... (the M2C). I also would never consider an auto for a fun car like this, that's just me personally and I know the benefits the DCT has.

The engine & easy power potential, brakes, seats/interior, suspension, updated bumper etc were all things I wanted and I think were well worth the difference in price (around $8k more for me). I won't track the car much, if ever, but I still wanted them. I regretted getting a 2016 WRX and not an STi because of the similar price/platforms difference, and this time I said screw it and got what I really wanted. Completely worth it and at the end of the day, I'm spending a lot of money either way to buy an M car. Might as well go all out

It's a bit different for you since you already have an M2, but I would say drive the M2C a time or two and see what you think. Most dealerships right now will let you test drive without anyone going with you, so that helped me really feel the car and drive it how I normally would. No holding back

Ofc you will take that initial depreciation hit again from buying a brand new car, I would recommend taking the approach I did and get a slightly used 2019 or 2020 if the upgrade is worth it to you. Same exact car but you'll save a few thousand.

Last edited by rcouchh; 10-16-2020 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #24
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

For what it's worth, I haven't run into any issues over the course of 10+ track days with my LCI M2. My only upgrades have been better fluid and pads (PFC11s), and camber plates with aggressive alignment.

The M2C may indeed be a better track car. But the OG and LCI are phenomenal there, too.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I know this topic has been discussed before but I figured I'd ask given my circumstances and see if there are any novel opinions/ideas.

I'll preface this by saying any decision would come at the end of this year/beginning of next year to see how the COVID situation develops.

I currently finance a 2017 DCT M2 with 1 year left to pay it off. I live in a commuting city as of 2 years ago and only drive on the weekends. Before this I used to drive into NYC for work and why I went with the DCT option 4 years ago. I've had the itch to get back into a 6 spd and after seeing the reveal of the new M3/M4 I'm wondering if now is the time to jump into a new M2C and if I like the new 2022 M2, I'd be able to switch into the updated LCI model. If not, I'd happily keep the M2C for at least 5 years.
The only con other than cost is that this is the only car for my wife and I. She does not drive manual but is eager and willing to learn but I'm unsure if that is a recipe for disaster in a new car. There will be no baby on the way for at least 3 years and even then, I'd be able to lease or finance a larger car if need be. I expect the monthly payments to be fairly similar after a trade in/money down but I would essentially be paying for minor upgrades in performance and mostly for the 6 spd, a newer model, and the potential safety net of the new 2022 M2 not being what I hope for. I also want to note that I do not track the car.

Curious to see what the community has to say

TLDR: I want to go from a DCT M2 to a new 6 spd M2C. Wife does not drive manual but would like to learn. Car is only driven on the weekends. Afraid of what the 2022 M2 will look like given the current 2 series and new M3/M4.
Manuals are going away. You have a chance to get one of the last great ones. The rest of your life you will not have the choice. Everything in the future will be automatic so if you enjoy manual by god Man get yourself a manual while you still can! Your wife will learn if she wants. These cars are easy to drive with hill hold and powerful clutches. One day you will wake up and wish you bought one new back then. I just bought a manual ZHP sedan for about $11k the same car in automatic is worth around 6-7k. I just throw that out there for the silly people that will tell you to think about resale value. Think of it like this. You're in middle school and this cute unknown girl names Jessica Alba wants you to take her to the prom. Don't blow it!!! You will look back with regret if you don't get the car the way it was meant to be configured with 3 pedals. And finally to inoculate you from the other argument that the automatic is
..2 seconds quicker when using automated launch control. That means squat when you give up the daily pleasure of shifting vs the one time on your life you will
Actually drag race another M2 from a standstill stoplight. Worse yet every electric car coming out will be faster than that by full seconds so focus on the pleasure and dynamics over resale value or .2 second differences.

2 cents.
Appreciate 5
Moflow2484.50
Nicname348.00
Poochie9099.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      10-19-2020, 01:47 AM   #26
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
I know this topic has been discussed before but I figured I'd ask given my circumstances and see if there are any novel opinions/ideas.

I'll preface this by saying any decision would come at the end of this year/beginning of next year to see how the COVID situation develops.

I currently finance a 2017 DCT M2 with 1 year left to pay it off. I live in a commuting city as of 2 years ago and only drive on the weekends. Before this I used to drive into NYC for work and why I went with the DCT option 4 years ago. I've had the itch to get back into a 6 spd and after seeing the reveal of the new M3/M4 I'm wondering if now is the time to jump into a new M2C and if I like the new 2022 M2, I'd be able to switch into the updated LCI model. If not, I'd happily keep the M2C for at least 5 years.
The only con other than cost is that this is the only car for my wife and I. She does not drive manual but is eager and willing to learn but I'm unsure if that is a recipe for disaster in a new car. There will be no baby on the way for at least 3 years and even then, I'd be able to lease or finance a larger car if need be. I expect the monthly payments to be fairly similar after a trade in/money down but I would essentially be paying for minor upgrades in performance and mostly for the 6 spd, a newer model, and the potential safety net of the new 2022 M2 not being what I hope for. I also want to note that I do not track the car.

TLDR: I want to go from a DCT M2 to a new 6 spd M2C. Wife does not drive manual but would like to learn. Car is only driven on the weekends. Afraid of what the 2022 M2 will look like given the current 2 series and new M3/M4.
Manuals are going away. You have a chance to get one of the last great ones. The rest of your life you will not have the choice. Everything in the future will be automatic so if you enjoy manual by god Man get yourself a manual while you still can! Your wife will learn if she wants. These cars are easy to drive with hill hold and powerful clutches. One day you will wake up and wish you bought one new back then. I just bought a manual ZHP sedan for about $11k the same car in automatic is worth around 6-7k. I just throw that out there for the silly people that will tell you to think about resale value. Think of it like this. You're in middle school and this cute unknown girl names Jessica Alba wants you to take her to the prom. Don't blow it!!! You will look back with regret if you don't get the car the way it was meant to be configured with 3 pedals. And finally to inoculate you from the other argument that the automatic is
..2 seconds quicker when using automated launch control. That means squat when you give up the daily pleasure of shifting vs the one time on your life you will
Actually drag race another M2 from a standstill stoplight. Worse yet every electric car coming out will be faster than that by full seconds so focus on the pleasure and dynamics over resale value or .2 second differences.

2 cents.
they're going to make new manual transmission m2, m3, and m4s for next gen. The DCT is forever gone after the m2c.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #27
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:

2 cents.
they're going to make new manual transmission m2, m3, and m4s for next gen. The DCT is forever gone after the m2c.
The DCT is an automatic still that takes away the clutching, rowing of gears and musical timing that makes just shifting more pleasant. Whether it's Shift-o-matic, dsg, dct, f1 it's all the same. When you go to cars and coffee nowadays you don't hear people raving o man your Ferrari has an f1 automated now discontinued gearbox!! Wow! You also don't hear people rave about the e46 m3 CSL. Wow that has the super rare discontinued SMG gearbox. Even though it at least allowed you to row gears. So yes if you feel that the DCT is the greatest thing ever then get it while you can as I said about the manual. But the OP was asking about the manual. For me very current BMW is getting worse and the current one is a know quantity and a cool car. The next one might get a giant grill or a push button weight adding trunk lift like is now offered in the m3. And with so many m3 drivers not really into the cars for actually driving it themselves and preferring computers shift for them, park them, fold
Their mirrors, raise and lower their trunks, swerve and stop for them then the next one might have clutch but a joystick controller for steering since that seems like what the majority wants now.

So tu summarize if you want a manual the days are numbered. They might only offer it in a lower powered variant next time a la new m3 or only a base model like Audi did for years before saying no one buys manuals despite people petitioning to offer RS cars in manual that were offered in Europe.

If you love DCT then by all means grab it while you can just the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #28
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Just posting so the activity stats go up
Appreciate 1
blkonblk192.00
      10-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #29
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
The DCT is an automatic still that takes away the clutching, rowing of gears and musical timing that makes just shifting more pleasant. Whether it's Shift-o-matic, dsg, dct, f1 it's all the same. When you go to cars and coffee nowadays you don't hear people raving o man your Ferrari has an f1 automated now discontinued gearbox!! Wow! You also don't hear people rave about the e46 m3 CSL. Wow that has the super rare discontinued SMG gearbox. Even though it at least allowed you to row gears. So yes if you feel that the DCT is the greatest thing ever then get it while you can as I said about the manual. But the OP was asking about the manual. For me very current BMW is getting worse and the current one is a know quantity and a cool car. The next one might get a giant grill or a push button weight adding trunk lift like is now offered in the m3. And with so many m3 drivers not really into the cars for actually driving it themselves and preferring computers shift for them, park them, fold
Their mirrors, raise and lower their trunks, swerve and stop for them then the next one might have clutch but a joystick controller for steering since that seems like what the majority wants now.

So tu summarize if you want a manual the days are numbered. They might only offer it in a lower powered variant next time a la new m3 or only a base model like Audi did for years before saying no one buys manuals despite people petitioning to offer RS cars in manual that were offered in Europe.

I'm just saying, grab a new MT now, or a grab a new MT in 2027
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #30
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes good point just want to add for op that even if it's available in the next one it might not be as good as the current one. BMW keeps softening and automating them. The next one might be ugly or have start stop you can't disable or have mandatory auto stop feature that will prevent you from some tracks . The future is bleak if you appreciate a less automated sports car. So the next model might not be better. That's all. 1 cent.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #31
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

I vote both
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #32
mj1jmvt
Rep
Drives: BMW M2comp, Acura RDX

Garage List
My 2021 is MT6 and my sweetheart wants to learn to drive it......winter is setting in here so I'm saved by the snow.....until spring that is!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #33
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1jmvt View Post
My 2021 is MT6 and my sweetheart wants to learn to drive it......winter is setting in here so I'm saved by the snow.....until spring that is!
You mean they want to learn manual from scratch in your brand new M2? Or they just want to become familiar with how to drive you car in general?

If the former - you're a very loving person if you're letting them learn manual in your brand new car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #34
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
M2C all day here manual 100%. Get it or wait and get a G80 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:39 PM   #35
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

The only reason I got dct is because my wife... I would keep the dct.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #36
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Get the M2C with the 6MT...so much fun
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #37
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbym View Post
The only reason I'd do it is for the 6MT. Everything else on the M2C, I do not prefer over the OG.
With his wife not driving a manual, I don't know if it is a good idea to get a manual. My wife is a timid driver and I could not get her comfortable driving my E46 M3. This time I bought a DCT and she will drive it.
I bought DCT for my wife to be able to drive my M

She has driven it 5 miles over the years

11-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #38
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Teach her manual
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #39
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post
Quote:

Teach her manual
I tried years ago - no good

I'd rather her drive her own car

Turns out I absolutely love my M DCT
      11-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #40
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
I tried years ago - no good

I'd rather her drive her own car

Turns out I absolutely love my M DCT
I agree. The DCT is a great transmission in the M2.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #41
mj1jmvt
Rep
Drives: BMW M2comp, Acura RDX

Garage List
LOL.....she use to drive a manual....but it was a few years ago....she loves being a passenger but wants time behind the wheel ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:12 PM   #42
EatYourHeartOut
ALL OUT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Hope she doesn't back into it !!
Speaking from experience.😲
I give her plenty of space now.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #43
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

My SO does not drive a manual and this is our only car as well. However, as others have stated, it is so much easier to learn on modern manuals than even cars 10 years ago.

I think the G series M2 is going to be much better, apart from the digital instrument cluster, which I dislike. BMW is finally understanding that there is a market for smaller Ms with premium equipment. I bet you're able to get the CF buckets and many other options previously only available on the M3. Essentially, taking a page from Porsche and allowing you to go ala carte with the options.

Personally, I would wait a year or two to pay off your M2 and then trade it in to the new M2. The current M2C is just not different enough from your current ride.