BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Do you hear a significant difference in exhaust between comfort and sport+?

03-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Do you hear a significant difference in exhaust between comfort and sport+?

I tend to drive in Sport+ frequently, mostly due to the increased throttle sensitivity. I know sport+ is supposed to open a valve in the exhaust. I don’t really hear much of a difference between that and comfort.

Do you feel this is a subtle difference on your car, or a clear one that is easily noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
If your car is completely stock it should be really easy to tell because ASD will turn on in sport + and shut off in comfort.

If you have ASD coded out or have a bypass harness and the rest of your exhaust is stock then it's much harder to hear the difference.

I currently have a full catback exhaust with the stock tune and ASD shut off and I can 100% hear the difference between each driving mode. It's night and day.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
If your car is completely stock it should be really easy to tell because ASD will turn on in sport + and shut off in comfort.

If you have ASD coded out or have a bypass harness and the rest of your exhaust is stock then it's much harder to hear the difference.

I currently have a full catback exhaust with the stock tune and ASD shut off and I can 100% hear the difference between each driving mode. It's night and day.
Really? I didn't know ASD turned off in Comfort. Haven't noticed that.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Go for a drive with the windows up and music off. Put the car in sport plus. Set the cruise control. Then switch to comfort. Then switch back to sport plus. You'll immediately hear a difference. It's like a drone on/off button.

The reason I say set the cruise control is so you know that there will be no change in throttle. It's purely an ASD volume change within the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
M2018
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
I could tell there's ASD/drone in comfort mode and I got headaches before I coded it off.
Appreciate 2
JB330Ci55.00
Conissah1576.00
      04-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I have ASD coded off. Otherwise totally stock.

Sometimes I think there’s a subtle difference, but then I think it’s more due to the difference in throttle mapping.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2018 View Post
Quote:
I could tell there's ASD/drone in comfort mode and I got headaches before I coded it off.
There is an immediate difference in exhaust tone inside and outside the car when in sport vs comfort. Of course I have the MPE so maybe that makes it more pronounced.

The idea that ASD is turned off in comfort mode is nonsense. Cruising in 6th gear at 120km/h at 3000rpm is headache mode. This car is not practical on highway. I also am not into coding so it kinda sucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
There is an immediate difference in exhaust tone inside and outside the car when in sport vs comfort. Of course I have the MPE so maybe that makes it more pronounced.

The idea that ASD is turned off in comfort mode is nonsense. Cruising in 6th gear at 120km/h at 3000rpm is headache mode. This car is not practical on highway. I also am not into coding so it kinda sucks.
ASD is off in comfort. The drone is your MPE. It's an extremely common issue. If you have a stock exhaust, turning off ASD will remove any drone. Not the case for those with MPE. It will lessen it though.

Also you don't have to code out ASD, you can install a bypass harness:

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
ASD is off in comfort. The drone is your MPE. It's an extremely common issue. If you have a stock exhaust, turning off ASD will remove any drone. Not the case for those with MPE. It will lessen it though.

I'm also interested in getting a definitive answer about this question, whether ASD is off in Comfort Mode. I've got tinnitus, and was sort of thinking ahead in case I need to reduce drone (don't have the car yet, but it won't have MPE). To m34m, coding seems much easier than installing the harness, unless I'm missing something. I am the least technical person on this entire forum, but I've already downloaded the Bimmercode app and it seems laughably easy to do - the app is very simple and the connecting device is $25 on Amazon. If I can do it, anyone can do it, again unless I've underestimated the process.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      04-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
coding seems much easier than installing the harness, unless I'm missing something. I am the least technical person on this entire forum, but I've already downloaded the Bimmercode app and it seems laughably easy to do - the app is very simple and the connecting device is $25 on Amazon. If I can do it, anyone can do it, again unless I've underestimated the process.
You're correct, coding it out is extremely easy. Maybe m34m thinks he has to use ESYS to code. Doing it with bimmercode is very simple and takes 2 min. I was just providing him with an alternative solution.

I personally have it coded out AND installed the harness for good measure. That's how much I hate ASD
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Rouxeny, It is louder in sport than comfort. Sport & sport plus is the same in volume.

From inside the car, it’s hard to tell the difference between comfort & sport with ASD coded out, even with windows down. I could only tell the difference when driving in my office buildings covered, fairly enclosed parking lot.

Below is a sampling I did at home with a DB app on IPad.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1469585&page=3
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Go for a drive with the windows up and music off. Put the car in sport plus. Set the cruise control. Then switch to comfort. Then switch back to sport plus. You'll immediately hear a difference. It's like a drone on/off button.

The reason I say set the cruise control is so you know that there will be no change in throttle. It's purely an ASD volume change within the cabin.
If memory serves me correct, ASD is on in comfort. I drove my car just a little over 1,200 miles before coding ASD off and noticed an immediate difference when switching it off.

What could be an explanation for what you’re hearing, is that the ASD is quieter, percentage wise, in comfort mode vs sport.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      04-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
If memory serves me correct, ASD is on in comfort. I drove my car just a little over 1,200 miles before coding ASD off and noticed an immediate difference when switching it off.

What could be an explanation for what you’re hearing, is that the ASD is quieter, percentage wise, in comfort mode vs sport.
It may not be 100% off in comfort, but it's significantly quieter. Either way it's a very obvious noise change.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #14
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:

ASD is not "off" in Comfort mode.

It might make less "Sporty noises" but it's definitely still putting extra noise into the car that isn't normally there. The difference between coding out ASD and Comfort mode is noticeable on its own.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #15
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

My exhaust definitely has more overrun in sport mode. Comfort -> sport noticeable difference.
      07-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #16
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2018 View Post
Quote:
I've been doing a fair bit of reading to see how intrusive owners were finding the ASD.. thought I was the only one who was getting a headache from the car!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #17
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
1. ASD is on in Comfort mode, but is actually pleasing to my ear on an otherwise stock car.

2. Sport+ sounds significantly better outside the car, but the ASD is terrible. With it disabled there is very little difference between the volume inside the car, compared to Comfort mode. Again, on an otherwise stock car.

The weirdness starts when you disable ASD and start your exhaust mods. My car sounds much better now in Comfort than in Sport+ with the Fabspeed sport cat and Dinan resonator delete. It's also louder in Comfort than in Sport+ even with ASD enabled.

Things that make you go hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:58 AM   #18
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
1. ASD is on in Comfort mode, but is actually pleasing to my ear on an otherwise stock car.
Definitely agree on this that ASD is on in comfort mode. In my opinion it's far from pleasing though
Appreciate 0