BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion

06-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #375
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

UPDATE:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1731097
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:33 AM   #376
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Might be of interest to anyone thinking about a tune on their N55 and what extra pwr to expect (I at least couldn't find much reliable info). I've just had a custom stage 2 tune, bolt-ons are Fabspeed sport cat, Wagner EvoII Comp, VRSF CP otherwise stock.

Hub dyno showed stock 232kw/474Nm which seems about right assuming 15% drivetrain loss. Tuned 273kw/608Nm.

I also used the Custom Throttle Mapping feature (again I couldn't find any user feedback on this) and can say it works great. Having a 6MT I don't see any benefit to having changing throttles, in fact it's a negative having to adjust throttle/clutch action to maintain smooth shifting. I also didn't like the sensitive Sport+ throttle, coupled with MDM it was just to easy to induce too much throttle oversteer when driving at/near the limit. My Sport+ mode now has Sport throttle/MDM, so effectively I have the same Sport throttle whether I select full traction on, MDM or DSC OFF (just like M2C owners can select). I also added rev-match to DSC OFF, flame away
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:44 AM   #377
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Thank you that is interesting.

232 Kw = 311whp

273kw=366whp

Drive train losses are fixed amount rather than a percentage, but unless BMW release that then its hard to say but roughly if it is meant to be 365hp at the crank and you measured 311 then the drive train takes a fixed amount of ~54hp to turn it over

so your tuned crank hp is roughly 366 + 54= 410hp/305Kw

Last edited by 3t3p; 06-20-2020 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00
      06-19-2020, 04:57 AM   #378
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Drive train losses are fixed amount rather than a percentage
Another instance of google misinforming me
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #379
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Everyone does it and I see why but it's too simplistic and doesn't make sense especially as power levels change.

Something I learnt back when electric motors sometimes needed gearboxes in R/C planes. We deduced they took a fixed amount of power to turn over, provided you can provide an excess of that power it just draws the same amount.

Not sure if that explains things that well but view the drivetrain as a seprate machine you need to turn over. Provide that power and anything extra comes out the other end. Add more power and it doesn't magically know to draw more parasitic power so we on the forums can say it takes 15% the whole time.

Last edited by 3t3p; 06-28-2020 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00
      07-08-2020, 03:48 AM   #380
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
custom throttle mapping is not a feature in bm3 per se, but it can certainly be done if you make your own tune. Bm3 allows you to use the stock tune as a baseline for which you build your own custom tune. They do not allow you to edit their ots tunes, aside from the drop down menu items like Burble and speed limiter.

With that said, dzenan did say a while ago he would consider it as a feature like Burble that allowed customers to customize their ots tune. I have not heard of any progress on this
Do you know if there has been some progress? I would like to get BM3 and run OTS map but the additional features are quite important to me.

It looks like disabling cold start, enabling rev match with DSC off, is configurable with OTS maps but no custom throttle mapping which is one of the main reasons I would like to tune the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:18 AM   #381
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Do you know if there has been some progress? I would like to get BM3 and run OTS map but the additional features are quite important to me.

It looks like disabling cold start, enabling rev match with DSC off, is configurable with OTS maps but no custom throttle mapping which is one of the main reasons I would like to tune the car.
PTF confirmed with me again only a month or so ago that Custom Throttle mapping is only available via a custom tune (assuming you want it with a tune). They told me a while back I could use the custom throttle feature as a user but only if staying with the oem stock tune.

Getting rid of the Sport+ throttle has made such an improvement to spirited driving. I now just use Sport+ or DSC OFF modes (which I added rev-match) depending on conditions and don't have to worry about re-calibrating the right foot.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:42 AM   #382
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
PTF confirmed with me again only a month or so ago that Custom Throttle mapping is only available via a custom tune (assuming you want it with a tune). They told me a while back I could use the custom throttle feature as a user but only if staying with the oem stock tune.

Getting rid of the Sport+ throttle has made such an improvement to spirited driving. I now just use Sport+ or DSC OFF modes (which I added rev-match) depending on conditions and don't have to worry about re-calibrating the right foot.
Thanks, that sucks. I really don't need a custom tune. I wonder if PTF would modify an OTS tune for me for a small fee. I'll ask.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:08 AM   #383
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Planning to get a DYNO run with Stage 2 93 (100 octance mix with 91) since I'm in the west coast.

-Fabspeed downpipe HJS 200 cel
-VRSF 5" HD FMIC + Chargepipe
-FI catback exhaust

A knowledgable friend told me I should be around 380whp? Anyone have some idea what I should be pushing?
I'm very curious if you ended up getting a dyno and what it showed. I have the same exact bolt ons and deciding if i should go ahead with stage 2 BM3. But I only have access to octane 91.

Are you happy with how the car feels? Any issues/codes/weird noises etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #384
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Quote:
Planning to get a DYNO run with Stage 2 93 (100 octance mix with 91) since I'm in the west coast.

-FI catback exhaust

A knowledgable friend told me I should be around 380whp? Anyone have some idea what I should be pushing?
I'm very curious if you ended up getting a dyno and what it showed. I have the same exact bolt ons and deciding if i should go ahead with stage 2 BM3. But I only have access to octane 91.

Stage 2 93 feels nice especially at the higher rpms. You can feel the small difference between 91 vs 93. The higher octane mixing with 100 is addictive. I noticed a very small lag if I dont run stage 2 because of the intercooler.

I've also ran a full 100 octane map and was told that is supposed to be lil over 400whp. I've yet to dyno anything yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #385
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-FI catback exhaust

Stage 2 93 feels nice especially at the higher rpms. You can feel the small difference between 91 vs 93. The higher octane mixing with 100 is addictive. I noticed a very small lag if I dont run stage 2 because of the intercooler.

I've also ran a full 100 octane map and was told that is supposed to be lil over 400whp. I've yet to dyno anything yet.
I'm only now learning about bm3, is stage 2 different from their CS or GTS maps? If so, have you tried those? Also, have you upgraded your diverter valve? I'm waiting to try the turbosmart one as I hear it improves any turbo lag
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #386
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I'm only now learning about bm3, is stage 2 different from their CS or GTS maps? If so, have you tried those? Also, have you upgraded your diverter valve? I'm waiting to try the turbosmart one as I hear it improves any turbo lag
CS and GTS maps are transmission tunes, not engine tunes.

I haven't seen anyone who has upgraded the DV with the stock turbo, because it's a timely install and easier to do if you're swapping the turbo at the same time. But yes, it will improve lag.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00
      07-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #387
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
CS and GTS maps are transmission tunes, not engine tunes.

I haven't seen anyone who has upgraded the DV with the stock turbo, because it's a timely install and easier to do if you're swapping the turbo at the same time. But yes, it will improve lag.
Ah thanks for that info!! So if mine is a MT I should just choose stage 2 and will be good to go?

I've seen some videos on YouTube of the DV being done at the same time as the IC and charge pipes and they say the trickiest part is accessing the 3 bolts for the DV, otherwise it's pretty easy. They also say the stock one is prone to having some boost leaks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:47 AM   #388
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LCI

Quote:
Ah thanks for that info!! So if mine is a MT I should just choose stage 2 and will be good to go?

I've seen some videos on YouTube of the DV being done at the same time as the IC and charge pipes and they say the trickiest part is accessing the 3 bolts for the DV, otherwise it's pretty easy. They also say the stock one is prone to having some boost leaks
I DIY my own GFB DV and all I can say is, the most effective way to access the top bolt of the DV is to loosen the coolant pump. You don't have to release any coolant to do that.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #389
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Alright, so I flashed Stage1 93 Oct (98RON) since I always use Shell V-power or 98RON.
I haven't dared go all out since I have an appointment to upgrade the charge pipe.

But one thing I noticed and need to ask about. With the tune installed I notice a slight whistling sound even at moderate acceleration. It does not get louder when pushing it harder. I flashed back to stock to see if it was still there because I fiddled with the airbox just before installing the tune. But with stock tune there is no whistle even when pushing it to the max.

So what could cause this sound in the fairly mild Stage 1 tune? I mean, even at moderate acceleration..

I realize maybe it says something similar about this in this thread but it's starting to get quite an extensive thread to search through...

This is a link to a datalog of a moderate acceleration, if anyone were to be so kind and have a look if anything looks bad. I have no experience in data log examination..
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ec6...90c659c2c9f4cf

I got the tip to try 98RON instead of VPower 99RON which I will when the tank runs empty.
Also, small update: Since I had to remove the airfilter air tube because of an unexpected "dropping of something into the engine bay" I double checked the tightening of the clamp for the air tube and there was room to tighten it more which I did and I would sort of say that the "whistle sound" diminished by about 80-90% after that..
Difficult to judge anything from a "moderate acceleration" datalog. If you'd like to get some actual meaningful data and have people analyze it you'll need to take a true WOT log. It'll give us a much better idea of how your fuel is and how the tune is for your specific vehicle and conditions!

Start in third gear, 2500 RPM, DSC OFF and go WOT. Keep the vehicle pinned until about 6500 RPM. Single third gear runs work well, however if you have the room and are able to shift into 4th and carry that to 6500 RPM then you'll have even better data to be analyzed!
Thx man, yes I sort of suspected the log to be a bit dry of useful information..
I will get back with logs when I get my new charge pipe.
Finally got the charge pipe installed by a reputable shop and the mechanic said that the clamp holding the air filter pipe was on a bit skew.

Now, the whistling sound is gone which is good. But I won't know if it was because any defect in the stock charge pipe or the skew clamp.. No visible damage to the stock pipe though so probably the skew clamp making the intake air cause a whistle..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #390
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

To clarify the lag I feel is mainly down low in the rpms. I think naturally with a bigger intercooler that will happen so being on the stage 2 helps it. As u guys know with stock tune the turbo runs out of breath up top but with the IC and tune its a decent pull to redline.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:56 PM   #391
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Our annual promo is coming up this Black Friday weekend starting Nov 27th 12AM EST and ending Monday Nov 30th 11:59pm EST. Inquire with any of our Authorized Dealers for various product bundles and promos with bootmod3 included or use BF2020 on our website to purchase. Code valid Nov 27-Nov 30 2020
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87source7239.50
      06-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #392
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

UPDATE:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1834773
Appreciate 1
F87source7239.50
      07-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #393
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Ive been on ACN 91 stage 1 tune since November of last year. Updated in January with 5.9.

No problems until this week. I've only been driving once or twice a week since tuning. I noticed Monday on my way to work (transitioning back into the office) that when I stepped on it, I got a little stutter/break up while in boost. I thought maybe it was my low fuel (1/4 tank) and possibly old fuel (probably about a month since my last fill up). On the way home, I filled up but the station is right next to home so I didn't really drive afterwards.

Today I had an errand to run and once warmed up, I had hit the gas and keep getting that same stumbling and breaking up feeling. I don't know how else to describe it. Maybe misfire? It used to pull great with 0 issues. The car only has 13k miles. No errors came up.

Mods are: VRSF catless dp, VRSF 6.5" intercooler, VRSF charge pipes, Turbosmart VR11 diverter valve, MST v2 inlet, dinan intake, dinan axle back.

I guess for any type of help, I need to run some logs. What is preferable when logging..3rd gear WOT for the full gear? (6MT)

My only thoughts are either spark plugs (originals; about 1k miles with the tune) or HPFP.

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #394
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
Ive been on ACN 91 stage 1 tune since November of last year. Updated in January with 5.9.

No problems until this week. I've only been driving once or twice a week since tuning. I noticed Monday on my way to work (transitioning back into the office) that when I stepped on it, I got a little stutter/break up while in boost. I thought maybe it was my low fuel (1/4 tank) and possibly old fuel (probably about a month since my last fill up). On the way home, I filled up but the station is right next to home so I didn't really drive afterwards.

Today I had an errand to run and once warmed up, I had hit the gas and keep getting that same stumbling and breaking up feeling. I don't know how else to describe it. Maybe misfire? It used to pull great with 0 issues. The car only has 13k miles. No errors came up.

Mods are: VRSF catless dp, VRSF 6.5" intercooler, VRSF charge pipes, Turbosmart VR11 diverter valve, MST v2 inlet, dinan intake, dinan axle back.

I guess for any type of help, I need to run some logs. What is preferable when logging..3rd gear WOT for the full gear? (6MT)

My only thoughts are either spark plugs (originals; about 1k miles with the tune) or HPFP.
Do you feel the stumble around 5k rpms? Most likely your hpfp dipping. But yeah will need logs to confirm
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:55 PM   #395
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

For the CA folks any concerns with this new Smog guidelines they are adding to check ECU https://www.carbibles.com/california...his-month/?amp
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #396
steven.dbc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Will you guys ever add a full e85 map i seem mhd just did it hoping for an update soon!!
Appreciate 0