BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Calling all Euro Delivery Vets...

06-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

MinionM3 Your ED tour looks good!

I agree with the others... I would say maybe plan a half day that first arrival day. Just stay in Munich and walk around.

Also... as of right now the Southern German border with Austria and Italy and Slovenia - are closed. I heard on the news over here that on June 15th they plan to open those borders back up. The French and Belgian borders are open as of right now. You will probably still need to wear a face mask out in public.

I am not sure about Switzerland border controls but the Swiss are always tough nuts when it comes to laws.

Stelvio, Lake Como, Col de la Bonnette, Alps Maritimes, Hahntennjoch, Furka, Klausen are all great places!!

But you MUST go drive the Gross Glockner when in Austria... you will be so close!! The little private Porsche museum in Gmund is also a must and drive down the street to see the old saw mill works where the first 48 Porsche's were built.

Gross Glockner
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406468

Porsche Automuseum Helmut Pfeifhofer
Riesertratte 4a,
9853 Gmünd in Kärnten, Austria

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Por....5328464?hl=en

I think you should also take a over night's stay in the Italian Dolomites. The famous Sella area. Sella Pass, Passo Giau, Passo Pordoi and Passo Gardena are all amazing... especially at sun set.

I've stayed at Hotel Kolfuschgerhof in Corvara... a little pricey but really worth it. awesome views... great sauna and pool. A hotel you won't forget! I loved the rooms. Actually any hotel in the Dolomites will be quite nice. This area is like driving on the moon or mars... its just so jaw dropping.

Also... here is what the Italian Dolomites in and around Sella look like...

Dackel's and Artemis's excellent Italian Alps adventure...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975344

Ok, well... that's all I can think of at the moment. Feel free to tag me in in this thread with an @ in front of my user name(all together).

Dackel
Appreciate 2
goku7173.00
bobert858.50
      06-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #24
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

B500 from Baden Baden is worth the detour.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
B500 from Baden Baden and poins South)is worth the detour.
Yes! The Bundesstrasse B500 is a nice road indeed! Also known as the Deutsche Alpine Road.

Go stay the night at Berghotel Mummelsee. Its one of the only hotels up there... but its quite nice and they have the BEST cakes and food.

The Mummelsee is a small lake up in the mountain... makes for a nice nature walk. Or go next door to the Berghotel and go checkout some of the local tourist stuff on sale inside the small huts. This place makes for a nice stop.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...27!4d8.2012738

https://mummelsee.de/en/

Name:  Mummelsee  B500   berghotel-mummelsee-badfaceb-ad65-4d6f-83de-3b7df1753597.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  806.6 KB

Name:  Mummelsee berghotel  es.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  12.3 KB

Name:  Mummelsee  1044.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  94.2 KB

IF you do checkout the area around Baden Baden and the B500... be sure to visit this cool collection of vehicles...

Fahrzeugmuseums Marxzell - near Stuttgart, Germany
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790929
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #26
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Hey man, looks like you have a great route planned. It actually looks a lot like mine from a few years back. My journal is in my signature if you want some photos/feedback from the different spots we visited.

Here are a couple of things I wish I knew before I got over there:

1. Like others have said, take a few days before delivery to adjust. You'll be fresh for the road and it gives you time to explore Munich.

2. Keep your passport/documents readily available when you're driving. We were stopped at the Austrian-German border and then the German-Swiss border. The car was immediately flagged likely due to the temporary plates (the stick out like a sore thumb). Not expecting this, we had to pull over in the police staging zone and rifle through our bags looking for everything. The police were nice, but it was still stressful.

3. Don't speed in Switzerland. Not even a little bit. A month after I came home I received two tickets from the Zurich police department. One was for 52 in a 50 and the other was for 53 in a 50. That's in KPH not MPH too. We didn't have any issues in the other countries.

4. Don't see France on your itinerary, but just know if you go driving there is expensive. Unlike most other countries that charge usage via vignettes, France does standard toll booths. In the 300 miles or so we drove through France, I paid twice was the YEARLY Swiss vignette cost.

5. Have the SA at Welt organize your 1,200 mile service ahead of time. It will save you a lot of stress. We ended up driving a little more than our original plan and were looking at 1,600 miles total. Being a stickler, I didn't want to go that far without service. We had to scramble in Geneva and somehow managed to get an appointment day of. Luckily it was slow and they were sympathetic (helps that my wife speaks French too).

6. If you can, spend some time in the Lauterbrunnen valley. We did a day trip there and regretted not spending a few days. It's truly incredible, even for Swiss standards.

7. Pick up vignettes ahead of time. There are a few sites online where you can buy them all at once. Just make sure to do this ahead of time as most are around 30 days to ship and receive.

8. Do one of the Swiss passes. We did Susten and it was amazing. A lot of folks do Furka as well.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to hit me up!
Appreciate 1
MinionM3492.00
      06-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #27
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Does anyone know if the Welt will be able to schedule a service if the delivery day (not the service day) is on a Saturday? Right now, it's looking like first service will be at the massive BMW dealer in Vaduz, Liechtenstein.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #28
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
Does anyone know if the Welt will be able to schedule a service if the delivery day (not the service day) is on a Saturday? Right now, it's looking like first service will be at the massive BMW dealer in Vaduz, Liechtenstein.
They should be able, but you could always contact the dealership before you even take delivery. I'd bet that they have at least a few English speakers on staff and could get you on the books well before you even take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #29
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Your ED itinerary looks a lot like mine. The pass through Imst northeast of Innsbruck is amazing. Check out my ED journal in my signature, my route overlapped a lot with what you’ve planned and I put detailed google maps screenshots of each day.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #30
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Hey Congrats on the car and ED! Being the last of its kind, this will make it super special event! Undoubtedly, whatever routes and cities you'll end visiting, you'll have some serious fun!

Superfluous and awesome advice already given on this thread...unfortunately there isn't enough time to do them all! The only thing I might add is try driving < 75 miles south of Munich to Berchtesgaden and see Kehlsteinhaus (Hitler's Eagle's Nest, the 'unofficial HQ'...the view is fantastic), but I fear it might be closed due to COVID situation (same with Neuschwanstein or Hohenschwangau Castles). Best to always check any touristic spots before going...

Anywho...envious you get to do this. When I first did ED, that was in '07 and I was a bachelor. It was planned on doing ED in 2020 and take my girls with me. Didn't pan out that way, as I bought a gently used '19 M2C locally (and saved a few gold coins along the way...)

Be well and Enjoy the Experience of a Lifetime!
Appreciate 0