BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BMW M2 CS Gets 450 HP (Specs and Info From Exclusive Preview Event)

09-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #287
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Finally, I hate to break the news to folks, but it [718 GT4] is not a real GT car. It has a Carrera engine, not an engine developed by Porsche’s GT division.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It [718 GT4] is a real "GT" car. Porsche gave it the GT label, so it is. They decide, not you. Just like how the OG M2 is a real M car but with an N55 engine. The GT cars and M cars are more about the handling and overall feel than just the engine. I am pretty sure Andreas Preuninger considers it a real GT car, so I'll take his word over yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I respectfully disagree. That's like saying a GTS is a "GT" car. It is not nor is a GT4 or Spyder; these two share the same engine. They do, however, share "GT" chassis components. In addition to the other attributes GT cars possess, GT4s have an integrated dry sump (aka wet sump) engine not a race bred dry sump like the GT3, GT2s, RSs and the Speedster have. Even turbos including the S have an integrated dry sump hence one major reason the Mezger (iconic and dry sump) equipped turbos through 2010 iircc are in high demand. Other engine internals upgrades are profound as well. AP will say what he needs to sell Porsches. Great guy I'm sure but he's still very loyal as he should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
Isn't a Porsche GT car developed by the GT division?
Quote:
You got me in a box here...
I should clarify. Labeling a car a GTx certainly does not make it a GT car; i.e. GTS which is not developed by the GT Division. Whether a dry sump or integrated dry sump makes it a GT car is another matter of opinion. You certainly have a most valid point if a car is created by the GT division, then it is what it is. As illustrated in my signature, I am on the list for a Spyder, however, have a hard time considering that car a GT product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
I respect the M2C not the M2.
Please elaborate.
Honestly it's because let's be honest the original M2 was not a true M car. The engine, side mirrors, and other things is what I and most think why it shouldn't be classified as one. On the other hand the M2C is what the M2 should have been from the very beginning. If you don't agree with this it's because you're in denial or you own an OG M2.
"1M is no real/true/pure BMW M car" - "GT4 is no real/true/pure Porsche GT car" - "M2 is no real/true/pure BMW M car":
  • DV: If only you knew the power of the dark side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
  • LS: He told me enough. He told me you killed him.
  • DV: No. I am your father.
  • LS: No. No. That's not true! That's impossible!
  • DV: Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
  • LS: Nooooooo! Nooooooo!
      09-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #288
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Sounds like the CS is more than just the M performance parts? Can someone elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #289
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Sounds like the CS is more than just the M performance parts? Can someone elaborate?
+1

Artemis are you able to post your impressions, yet? I'm especially interested in some additional details about your CF room comment.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #290
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
While it's not zero work, it certainly isn't this much. The M performance parts are cheap in terms of actual cost. Huge margin for BMW. We are not going from a 240i to M2. Almost every single meaningful part on the car is the same. Most of this work was already done, btw, when they designed the M performance parts.
Why would BMW even bother with a short run model like this? Because their profit margins on it are high. This is a company that refuses to make a "halo" sports car. They act rationally.
I respect the fact that the M2 CS is going to be the best M2 you can get, but 98% of the work is already done. This isn't even half the work needed to create the M2C, and the price delta from an OG M2 to M2C is going to be smaller than the delta between the M2C and M2 CS! Think about that for a minute...
Upon seeing the car, you'll notice straightaway parts that definitely do not feature in the M Performance Parts catalogue, developed specifically for this car. While BMW M could have saved the energy by sourcing those parts from the existing parts catalogue, they walked the extra mile. For example, if you stand on the CFRP M3/M4 roof or the one of the M2 M Performance Parts catalogue with that familiar CF weave look, beware not to 'sink' through it. On the newly developed M2 CS CFRP roof you can stand (sandwich-structured composite).
This reinforces the CS value point even more so. If you want a a CS (or any other limited production performance car) be prepared to pay up. You guys have the money so get what stirs your soul and makes you happy in the long term . An M3 has always been my dream car but I could not justify spending "that kind of money". For years I told myself , I can't afford an M3. But then...I read about the CS. And THEN I saw it in person and it was all over. lol. All the sudden I went from not being able to afford 74k to laying out 94k. I had to have it. Which makes me ponder...I think most of us buy cars like this based on emotion, not logical clear thinking.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #291
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
It's gonna be the best CS to get compared to the M3CS and M4CS.

Now it's all a matter of waiting on official pricing.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #292
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Artemis are you able to post your impressions, yet? I'm especially interested in some additional details about your CF room comment.
Sorry omasou (and all others who contacted me in the meantime), see my earlier message here.

As indicated before, I will share my thoughts at a later stage (after the official M2 CS release, i.e. later this Autumn after the trees have lost their leaves).
      09-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #293
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
let's be honest the original M2 was not a true M car.
True or not true: the 'truth' is out there in the curves. Go explore.

Name:  M2_Parked_CloseUp.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  286.7 KB
Name:  Alps_20June17.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  429.8 KB
Name:  1M_M2_Summer2016.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  806.0 KB
      09-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #294
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
True or not true: the 'truth' is out there in the curves. Go explore.

Attachment 2149037
Attachment 2149036
Attachment 2149035
Just can't let that go huh?
Appreciate 1
devo755.00
      09-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #295
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
  • Back seats cannot be folded anymore
Did you check that for sure, dgm3 ?

09-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #296
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Read: They do fold, Artemis just can't share due to his vow of secrecy.
      09-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #297
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Hips = M ?
      09-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #298
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Upon seeing the car, you'll notice straightaway parts that definitely do not feature in the M Performance Parts catalogue, developed specifically for this car. While BMW M could have saved the energy by sourcing those parts from the existing parts catalogue, they walked the extra mile. For example, if you stand on the CFRP M3/M4 roof or the one of the M2 M Performance Parts catalogue with that familiar CF weave look, beware not to 'sink' through it. On the newly developed M2 CS CFRP roof you can stand (sandwich-structured composite).
And yet how strong the roof, hood are makes almost 0 difference in how the car drives.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #299
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
According to those seeing the car at the preview, the dash (fake leather) and door panel (bare plastic) remain the same as the comp.
I know with car like this one, many couldn't care less about the luxury touches. But really they misunderstand the car like this - the intended purpose of the CS is first a daily driver and then with maximized track-ability.
Remember the cabin is where you spend most of time, and good leather makes all the difference. This is something you really need to experience to know.
I agree. Most people here seem to value more the exterior cosmetics changes, I personally value more the inside. The connection to the car start with the feeling through the seats, steering wheel, gear lever /central console and pedals. Then the visual aspect of the dash board, doors panels contribute to the overall feeling.

In that respect the M2 CS carbon central console coupled with the alcantara trim looks and feels outstanding. Even better in my view (but many will disagree) is the removal of the armest, the armest being very annoying with the manual transmission. Then the fine grain Merino (?) leather is a great upgrade... unfortunately from a visual standpoint it does not blend well with the coarse aspect of the unchanged dashboard/door panel. An optional leather dashboard/top door trim with red stitching would have been a great addition.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #300
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
And yet how strong the roof, hood are makes almost 0 difference in how the car drives.
Hey, maybe you can play chess or chequers on it this time around.
      09-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #301
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

At least you can jump out of the car when you get to work, jump up on the roof, and do a couple of fist pumps to show everyone how you won the race to work.

That would look pretty lame if your roof caves in mid pump.

Last edited by medphysdave; 09-25-2019 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #302
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
No, I just checked that the car was actually 450hp

The guy presenting the car heavily insisted on the non folding seats, believe in his mind it was a sign of additional sportiness (rigidity ?) compared to the M2C. Had no reason to doubt about what he was saying and to be honest couldn't care less about the folding seats. I was mainly interested in the things which could really improve the driving experience... but since there were not many I admit I also spent quite some time on the cosmetics.

Retrospectively I do not exclude that this event was organized to get customer feedback and that minor tweaks are still possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #303
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
At least you can jump out of the car when you get to work, jump up on the roof, and do a couple of fist pumps to show everyone how you won the race to work.
So True! Who says it's not functional!! Pshhh
      09-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #304
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
So True! Who says it's not functional!! Pshhh
Chess or chequers, you'll see.

BMW CFRP production images:
Supadice1027.50
      09-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #305
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Plastic parts are not hard to make or tweak in NX, CATIA, Solidworks, etc. I'm not saying they didn't put any effort in, but it's not even in the same realm as, say, changing the engine or even suspension components in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #306
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. That's like saying a GTS is a "GT" car. It is not nor is a GT4 or Spyder; these two share the same wet sump (integrated dry) engine. They do, however, share "GT" chassis components. In addition to the other attributes GT cars possess, GT4s have an integrated dry sump (aka wet sump) engine not a race bred dry sump like the GT3, GT2s, RSs and the Speedster have. Even turbos including the S have an integrated dry sump hence one major reason the Mezger (iconic and dry sump) equipped turbos through 2010 iircc are in high demand. Other engine internals upgrades are profound as well. AP will say what he needs to sell Porsches. Great guy I'm sure but he's still very loyal as he should be.
I'm not sure you understand. A GTS is not supposed to be a GT model and no one said it was. The GT4 is a true GT model, full stop. You can come up with your own arbitrary definitions as you please.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #307
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
I'm not sure you understand. A GTS is not supposed to be a GT model and no one said it was. The GT4 is a true GT model, full stop. You can come up with your own arbitrary definitions as you please.
Quote:
It is a real "GT" car. Porsche gave it the GT label, so it is. They decide, not you. Just like how the OG M2 is a real M car but with an N55 engine.
I read your reply above as you were saying a car labeled GTx was a GT car. Porsche says it's a GT car then it is. It still has a pedestrian engine which lacks racing pedigree. There was nothing arbitrary about my reply.

Last edited by devo; 09-26-2019 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      09-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #308
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is a real "GT" car. Porsche gave it the GT label, so it is. They decide, not you. Just like how the OG M2 is a real M car but with an N55 engine.
I read your reply above as you were saying a car labeled GTx was a GT car. Porsche says it's a GT car then it is. It still has a pedestrian engine which lacks racing pedigree. There was nothing arbitrary about my reply.
The badge is like a birth certificate.

Regardless of the badge, it's all about the DNA and legitimate expectations about the bloodline.

E30 M3 SPORT EVO: 175kW - 238hp - 0-100km/h: 6.5s | F87 M2 CS: 331kw - 450hp - 0-100km/h: 4.0s
Name:  BMW_M3_SE.jpg
Views: 6981
Size:  309.1 KB