BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY/NJ/PA/CT > Cross State Lines Order Warning - NJ

12-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
nzafi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X2

Cross State Lines Order Warning - NJ

Not sure if this is the right forum but I put this here because I know some folks in the NJ area like me are ordering M2Cs. I literally just took delivery of my M2C a couple hours ago and already am madly in love.

However, I ordered my M2C from out of state like many people on here. Apparently, my dealer did not finalize my car registration. In fact, they emailed me this morning to tell me that NJ is requiring I appear in person to register my vehicle. This is incredibly annoying, but what is even worse is that in NJ right now you require an appointment to go to the DMV registering a new vehicle. The earlier appointment at all DMVs in NJ is January 7th, so I will literally have this car sitting in my garage for the next month doing nothing.

If you are in NJ and ordering out of state, I highly suggestion you get ahead of this and get your appointments set up early. You only require a VIN # essentially.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      12-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzafi View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum but I put this here because I know some folks in the NJ area like me are ordering M2Cs. I literally just took delivery of my M2C a couple hours ago and already am madly in love.

However, I ordered my M2C from out of state like many people on here. Apparently, my dealer did not finalize my car registration. In fact, they emailed me this morning to tell me that NJ is requiring I appear in person to register my vehicle. This is incredibly annoying, but what is even worse is that in NJ right now you require an appointment to go to the DMV registering a new vehicle. The earlier appointment at all DMVs in NJ is January 7th, so I will literally have this car sitting in my garage for the next month doing nothing.

If you are in NJ and ordering out of state, I highly suggestion you get ahead of this and get your appointments set up early. You only require a VIN # essentially.
Ask the selling dealer if they can provide a temporary registration. I ordered out of state, and I was provided with temporary tags that I used until my appointment date.
Appreciate 2
DAC17170.50
CFO275.00
      12-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
nzafi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDONE View Post
Ask the selling dealer if they can provide a temporary registration. I ordered out of state, and I was provided with temporary tags that I used until my appointment date.
I have temporary license plates, but I dont have a temporary car registration. I am used to have a temporary registration which I dont have one. Did you just get tags or did you also get a temporary registration?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Quote:
I have temporary license plates, but I dont have a temporary car registration. I am used to have a temporary registration which I dont have one. Did you just get tags or did you also get a temporary registration?
I think you're fine using your temp tags.

cops know there are registration delays due to covid.

I've seen plenty of cars driving around with expired temp tags in NY.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not from NJ but that sounds about all you need. There is no way the M2 should sit in a garage...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

just have the dealer paperwork with you at all times. you should be fine with explaining your situation if you do get pulled over.
Appreciate 1
DAC17170.50
      12-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I only had temp tags when I purchased out of state no temp registration. Ran them for about 6 weeks until my plates came in the mail. Did cause me a bit of anxiety lol
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

The situation in nj does indeed suck. I have a friend who recently bought a Cayman on BAT. He has had his car a month and still can't drive it. You're required to make an appointment for registration (about 3-4 weeks out now), but if they close the office of your appt, you start all over again. Office closings are constantly occurring. It's totally broken.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
CharlieHustle32
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

Quote:

I had to renew my registration on my truck as it had recently expired check out the DMV in Hazlet they only do registrations and a handful of other things unlike most DMV's I was able to get within like two weeks and I was in and out of the DMV no joke in 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #10
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

I live in WV and bought my car in PA. The PA dealer provided me with a temp tag and temp registration in PA until they handled my WV registration. Your dealer should be doing this unless there are different state laws wherever you bought your car
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Quote:
The temp tags should include temp registration from the state where you bought it. For example, I bought mine at a Jersey BMW dealer and it came with a temp Jersey plate and NJ registration. Dealer mailed me my CT plates like 3 weeks later (this was pre-pandemic). I agree with others, I doubt NJ cops are gonna be super anal about the date on the temp plate (what date is on them?) If you don't have your NJ plates yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #12
nzafi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
The temp tags should include temp registration from the state where you bought it. For example, I bought mine at a Jersey BMW dealer and it came with a temp Jersey plate and NJ registration. Dealer mailed me my CT plates like 3 weeks later (this was pre-pandemic). I agree with others, I doubt NJ cops are gonna be super anal about the date on the temp plate (what date is on them?) If you don't have your NJ plates yet.
I have temp plates but they expire after 7 days. Dealer said they can get me more.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Beware for any MA residents - you can not drive a newly acquired car with temporary tags from out of state, the car is considered unregistered. Unregistered also means no insurance.

Which makes it incredibly hard for MA residents to go out of state to purchase a car. You need a signed bill of sale to register the car in MA. So technically 2 trips, one to buy the car and one to drive it home. Buying a new car could easily be done online saving a trip, but if you want to look at a used car before buying most do not do that sight unseen.

For a used car, most people just put MA plates on the car and drive it home. But it's technically illegal, and I wouldn't want to get pulled over or have an accident. Likewise if the state issues temp tags (for a new purchase), just drive it home and don't get pulled over/accident. Temp tags from other states are only legal for out of state residents.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #14
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Actually, this is a benefit... By not having signed and sealed final registration, it should encourage you to do a good (mostly legal) break in before your 1200 mile service!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #15
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Beware for any MA residents - you can not drive a newly acquired car with temporary tags from out of state, the car is considered unregistered. Unregistered also means no insurance.

Which makes it incredibly hard for MA residents to go out of state to purchase a car. You need a signed bill of sale to register the car in MA. So technically 2 trips, one to buy the car and one to drive it home. Buying a new car could easily be done online saving a trip, but if you want to look at a used car before buying most do not do that sight unseen.

For a used car, most people just put MA plates on the car and drive it home. But it's technically illegal, and I wouldn't want to get pulled over or have an accident. Likewise if the state issues temp tags (for a new purchase), just drive it home and don't get pulled over/accident. Temp tags from other states are only legal for out of state residents.
My lease was from MA and I had a registration issue. Fortunately the dealership went to the DMV for me, but my car was at my local dealership for a couple weeks after it arrived here in NC. It taught me that I need to review both states dmv rules if purchasing out of state.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #16
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
I have temp plates but they expire after 7 days. Dealer said they can get me more.
I'm confident that they will send you more if you ask.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #17
selkies
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

I registered my M2C under my NJ address after buying the car from an out of state dealer. If you paid them for tags and registration they are supposed to mail you a temp tag from the dealers home state which covers you for plate and registration until you get permanent NJ tags.

I never had to go to the NJ DMV registration center at all in person except to later get a new NJ inspection sticker from the inspection center which was only a 5 minute wait. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 05:51 AM   #18
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkies View Post
I registered my M2C under my NJ address after buying the car from an out of state dealer. If you paid them for tags and registration they are supposed to mail you a temp tag from the dealers home state which covers you for plate and registration until you get permanent NJ tags.

I never had to go to the NJ DMV registration center at all in person except to later get a new NJ inspection sticker from the inspection center which was only a 5 minute wait. Hope that helps.
This is how it's meant to work. I've lived in several states and bought from various ones and have never had an issue. Always get a temp tag and plates show up from my hone state in the mail. And of course you can't drive a car off the lot without insurance. I suppose some states have tough rules
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #19
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Quote:
Dang - only 7 days? What state did you buy from? My NJ temp plates had 30.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #20
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Dang - only 7 days? What state did you buy from? My NJ temp plates had 30.
I also had 7 day temp tags but dealer gave me four temp tags all post-dated every 7 days so I could slap on a new one every week until plates arrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #21
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Temp tag came with temp registration which is essentially a small copy of the tag that can be kept in glovebox.

Your post reminded me to call dealer and check status of my plates, and they said it'll be 3-4 weeks and they are mailing me additional temp tags in the meantime. I'm in NY btw, so similar time frame to you.

I remember when I bought my IS300 the dealer gave me 6 months of temp tags until I could get registration done (Had to drive out of state to get it registered). He simply fedexed me five post dated 30 day temp tags.

And as others said keep a photo of your bill of sale, I doubt you'll get pulled over for the tags. Prob more likely to get stopped for speeding in the m2. And call dealer for additional unexpired tags as needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C (LBB+6MT+MR)

The out of state dealer sent me a total of 8 temp tags. Those, along with a Bill of Sale, will be sufficient proof of ownership in advance of pending registration. Think of it this way—it gives you time and caution to adhere to break-in protocol.
Appreciate 1
ADDONE230.00