BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Chris Harris' thoughts on selling his F87 M2 CS after G87 M2 announced

07-13-2022, 11:45 PM   #45
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
The things I care about for a weekend car are not getting better with technology. I'd say the F87 CS is at and probably beyond the straight line speed I need and I will probably never track it.

It's no lightweight but it's not much heavier than an E46 M3, which is the pinnacle of BMW driving and design for me.

Maybe I'll pick up a used G87 manual if demand wanes in 5 years when a subsequent EV/hybrid M2 debuts with 600+ HP.

I'm not selling the F87, and I'm not worried about resale. Worst case it drops in value and I keep it and drive the hell out of it. Best case, I pass down an extremely valuable car to my son in 15-20 years.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I think the F87 CS is like wine. There are good, no; great wines out there. But once in a while, you get one that will be known as the best for generations, even though, in those following generations, there might be much better wines, that despite being better, come nowhere close in stature.

Such is the harmony that is encapsulated in the F87 CS that no matter how much better will the future generations be, none will ever catch up to this beauty in stature.

I've driven mine very little; every time I drive it, it's like the first time. One day, by 2050s 😂, my son will enjoy it. And hopefully he'll keep it for his children.

I bought the love of the car, not just a car
This is exactly how I feel about the 1M. Great car. The 1M is spectacular, no doubt. It speaks to what made BMWs great, return to form and all that. I still feel like it's overrated especially when compared to the lowly 135i market value. No matter what comes out it will live in a halo of greatness. While it's reputations largely deserved, it is bolstered with a ton of hype. There are so few available, most won't have the opportunity to decide for themselves and slow the momentum of the hype train… is what it is for better or worse. (Flame suit on)

Not "sour grape" here either, I'm admittedly a BMW fan boy and almost bought both CS and 1M. Also not a cost issue, but more a personal value opinion…

Exclusively/hype skews views… The CS,1M certainly aren't the only ones I feel this way about but I'm stop there.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 03:38 AM   #46
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
Quote:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I think the F87 CS is like wine. There are good, no; great wines out there. But once in a while, you get one that will be known as the best for generations, even though, in those following generations, there might be much better wines, that despite being better, come nowhere close in stature.

Such is the harmony that is encapsulated in the F87 CS that no matter how much better will the future generations be, none will ever catch up to this beauty in stature.

I've driven mine very little; every time I drive it, it's like the first time. One day, by 2050s 😂, my son will enjoy it. And hopefully he'll keep it for his children.

I bought the love of the car, not just a car
This is exactly how I feel about the 1M. Great car. The 1M is spectacular, no doubt. It speaks to what made BMWs great, return to form and all that. I still feel like it's overrated especially when compared to the lowly 135i market value. No matter what comes out it will live in a halo of greatness. While it's reputations largely deserved, it is bolstered with a ton of hype. There are so few available, most won't have the opportunity to decide for themselves and slow the momentum of the hype train… is what it is for better or worse. (Flame suit on)

Not "sour grape" here either, I'm admittedly a BMW fan boy and almost bought both CS and 1M. Also not a cost issue, but more a personal value option…

Exclusively/hype skews views… The CS,1M certainly aren't the only ones I feel this way about but I'm stop there.
You are well entitled to voice your opinion without a flame suit on my friend, and I shall fight to the death defending that right

So said Voltaire in a different iteration 😉
F87EVO4025.00
      07-14-2022, 08:20 AM   #47
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
It gives you more reason to look forward to the next parade. I hope you're both well now and planning the next trip together already.

Aria and I test drove a 911 turbo few days ago. I can't say either of us left dissatisfied. But the M2 CS is something else.

Porsche is a stallion whereas the CS is a wild horse, rough and rugged, yet steady and dependable. Porsche cuts through corners like a surgical scalpel; the CS like a butcher's knife - I like them both.

Now that I've missed out on the M4CSL, I'm thinking a 911 GTS would be a healthy addition to the growing clan
Everything happens for a reason !
      07-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #48
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs View Post
Quote:
It gives you more reason to look forward to the next parade. I hope you're both well now and planning the next trip together already.

Aria and I test drove a 911 turbo few days ago. I can't say either of us left dissatisfied. But the M2 CS is something else.

Porsche is a stallion whereas the CS is a wild horse, rough and rugged, yet steady and dependable. Porsche cuts through corners like a surgical scalpel; the CS like a butcher's knife - I like them both.

Now that I've missed out on the M4CSL, I'm thinking a 911 GTS would be a healthy addition to the growing clan
Everything happens for a reason !
That is exactly as it is.

I'll go one step further, the worst events in my life, have happened for the best reasons
      07-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #49
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

I just got out of a B58/ZF8 combination (M340i). Efficient, but boring. In my opinion, the F87 represents the end of an era because of its looks, technology, weight, etc. The G87 is interesting and I hope its a good car, but it will likely suffer from the same issues as my former M340i. I am now DD'ing an E90 ZCP and am much happier because it better fits my priorities as an enthusiast.

With regard to CH's comments, I don't understand where he's coming from. Most enthusiasts, at least on this forum, were well aware that the next M2 would be offered in a RWD/manual configuration. Even if I didn't have that prior knowledge, it would had little impact on my purchase decision and I imagine others here feel the same way. However, I think its fair to speculate as to whether the next M2 CS will be offered in a manual. BMW has prevented the G8X C from being equipped with a manual due to the limitations of the 6MT. If the G87 C is auto only, that could be a sign that the CS will likely be as well.
krm347.00
      07-15-2022, 01:10 PM   #50
prompt
Car Designer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

Do people really think that these youtubers or journalist pay the same as any other customer?

Most of them are long term loaner or VIP discounted prices
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2022, 02:34 PM   #51
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prompt View Post
Do people really think that these youtubers or journalist pay the same as any other customer?

Most of them are long term loaner or VIP's looking for clicks.
Fixed that for you.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2022, 08:36 AM   #52
aroundelway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Taking advice from someone whose tastes allowed for that horrible green wrap seems like asking Ronald McDonald what his favorite three star Michelin restaurant is.

I appreciate the various YouTube guys and girls out there but they are not often what I would call car enthusiasts and I am pretty dubious about anything they recommend, things like shocks they are almost certainly not paying for and probably getting paid to promote…
Appreciate 4
      07-16-2022, 04:00 PM   #53
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundelway View Post
Taking advice from someone whose tastes allowed for that horrible green wrap seems like asking Ronald McDonald what his favorite three star Michelin restaurant is.

I appreciate the various YouTube guys and girls out there but they are not often what I would call car enthusiasts and I am pretty dubious about anything they recommend, things like shocks they are almost certainly not paying for and probably getting paid to promote…
Harris is quite far from a "YouTube" character. Having met him in person and had a chat about cars with him, he's genuine all the way and a true enthusiast about all things 4 wheeled (and I believe 2 wheeled as well). Taste is a matter of perspective. I've already been told by another BMW owner that the CS is just too "Fast and the Furious and juvenile to be considered".
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
chris7197328.50
      07-16-2022, 06:55 PM   #54
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I've already been told by another BMW owner that the CS is just too "Fast and the Furious and juvenile to be considered".
It's exactly why the M2 CS is such a little gem. In 30 years time when the classics of the current generation are being crowned, it will be the cars today's teenagers lust after and not crotchety old timers' opinions that will be tallied. I know some of us here are a little older and have had a few M's - but I sense most are young at heart.
Appreciate 6
Davil6467.50
F87EVO4025.00
M3R12162.50
Tornado1M1209.00
      07-17-2022, 04:53 AM   #55
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
It's exactly why the M2 CS is such a little gem. In 30 years time when the classics of the current generation of cars are being crowned, it will be the cars today's teenagers lust after and not crotchety old timers' opinions that will be tallied. I know some of us here are a little older and have had a few M's - but I sense most are young at heart.
Possibly the last "fun" car ever made. I'm struggling to think of anything else aside perhaps the Emira but I'd have to drive one before I made judgement. Having said that, there's a back catalogue of other cars that are wonderful. Get them while you can and while they are unmolested. I just think the CS is the last of anything I'd call fun. Welcome to the future.
Appreciate 3
JPMD171.00
F87EVO4025.00
      07-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #56
JoeMatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
This is exactly how I feel about the 1M. Great car. The 1M is spectacular, no doubt. It speaks to what made BMWs great, return to form and all that. I still feel like it's overrated especially when compared to the lowly 135i market value.
The value for the 1M is insane when compared to the 135i.

For the price of a 1M now, you can buy and convert 3 135s.

The 1M was a parts bin special, it's not a hard conversion at all except maybe the rear wide body unless you bondo/paint aftermarket flares. The rest is just M3 parts slapped on, the biggest being the diff and suspension that I know of.

You can even do a 1M+, since you can get aftermarket carbon panels for about the same price. I did Seibon M3 CF hood and 1M duckbill trunk for like 1200.

Diffuser, diff core swap, exhaust, bumper, fenders (can get CF reps of fenders too for 1k) is only $5k. E8X/E9X parts are pretty cheap and go on sale often compared to F8x.

Even if you did it perfect down to the bolt and had a shop do the work, $10k maybe?
      07-31-2022, 01:17 PM   #57
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post

The 1M was a parts bin special, it's not a hard conversion at all except maybe the rear wide body unless you bondo/paint aftermarket flares. The rest is just M3 parts slapped on, the biggest being the diff and suspension that I know of.

You can even do a 1M+, since you can get aftermarket carbon panels for about the same price. I did Seibon M3 CF hood and 1M duckbill trunk for like 1200.

Diffuser, diff core swap, exhaust, bumper, fenders (can get CF reps of fenders too for 1k) is only $5k. E8X/E9X parts are pretty cheap and go on sale often compared to F8x.

Even if you did it perfect down to the bolt and had a shop do the work, $10k maybe?
If I had an honest competent body shop that could do the rear arches properly for a reasonable price I would absolutely take on a project like this. I love the look of them. I had a FBO 09' 135i that I bought new and loved it, however never quite lived the look of it. The 1M is tough!
      07-31-2022, 01:47 PM   #58
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post

If I had an honest competent body shop that could do the rear arches properly for a reasonable price I would absolutely take on a project like this. I love the look of them. I had a FBO 09' 135i that I bought new and loved it, however never quite lived the look of it. The 1M is tough!
So, I sold my 1M to fund the CS of which I paid MSRP. While I do miss the 1M on some days, the CS is honestly so much more car that they are hard to compare.

From an esthetics perspective, it's sort of a love/hate relationship from as far as I could tell from talking with people.
Appreciate 1
M3R12162.50
      07-31-2022, 02:09 PM   #59
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Value of the 1M is still up there, but I don't really get it, personally. To me a collectable BMW needs a special engine, and the 1M just doesn't deliver on that. Even the 850csi while not being a true M car at least had a unique engine.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4025.00
      07-31-2022, 02:22 PM   #60
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
So, I sold my 1M to fund the CS of which I paid MSRP. While I do miss the 1M on some days, the CS is honestly so much more car that they are hard to compare.

From an esthetics perspective, it's sort of a love/hate relationship from as far as I could tell from talking with people.
I'm in the love the look category... I would love to do a 1M clone for my son...

My M2cs is here to stay. I took it out this morning to where I have ridden all of my motorcycles this morning and the car is just phenomenal. I am 20 minuts from Harriman State Park and there are roads that are like mini race tracks. I go very early on Sunday mornings and I have the roads to myself. There are sometimes guys like me ripping it up as well.
      08-05-2022, 03:11 PM   #61
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I recall 1M owners feeling like their car was just as interesting as an m2, if not more so because of the odd looks, hydraulic steering, smaller size and lighter weight. I think it's likely the f87 might be the goldilocks baby M for size, looks, and reliability. For an investment who knows. Could depend on how many g87 CS they make. That one will be the the last pure ICE M car, but I'm not that interested in vehicle investments.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 03:17 PM   #62
prei1978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i xDrive Conv.

Garage List
If I owned an F87 CS I wouldn't trade it for a G87. I'm not the kind of person that as soon as something newer comes out I have to go get it. That said, I never had an F87 and I wouldn't buy one over the G87 when it comes out. The new one will be a better car, I think, so I'll get one myself and keep it.

If there is ever an H87 that is still RWD, pure ICE, and manual then I'll watch the fortunate people buying then enjoying their car while I quite happily enjoy my older one.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 03:28 PM   #63
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I'm not sure I'd buy a car Chris Harris owned. 🤔
Appreciate 3
Entropy89196.00
swampfox941186.50
      08-05-2022, 03:33 PM   #64
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

There could be a reason there hasn’t been any news of xDrive for the G87, or the denial that it will happen is I suspect the G87 M2 CS could be AWD only.

If standard car is 455hp then CS will be 510hp same as M3/M4 Comp. That also means Auto only too.

Same as they did with F8x generation.

Seems F87 M2 CS Manual owner’s can rest easy!
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #65
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

chasing the "latest and greatest" is merely an exercise in consumerism. find a car you LOVE and drive it as long as you want!

i recently crossed 100,000 miles in my 1M and I love it more than ever—-nothing else I even want. I've driven M2s and Porsches etc—the 1M is such a laugh; hard to match—-for ME. And that's the key, what's best for YOU not everyone else.

i like Chris Harris and he's owned many good cars like the 1M and M2CS but he is also an auto journalist and they have to support the automotive industry and so he does! It keeps him relevant to support new products, don't think he's ONLY an enthusiast—he is not. This is his career…
      08-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #66
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchart View Post
Value of the 1M is still up there, but I don't really get it, personally. To me a collectable BMW needs a special engine, and the 1M just doesn't deliver on that. Even the 850csi while not being a true M car at least had a unique engine.
N54 actually feels a little more dramatic to me than the N55 in the OG M2, and 1M actually has a more natural feel where every single F and G car I've driven has some level of synthetic feel. It's still a little overrated IMO, though.

People who say that F87 is the last analog car and things like that must not have driven many E generation BMWs or 997 and earlier Porsches. The F87 is the least numb but it certainly is a modern BMW.

Collectability is more about rarity than anything else really, I think.
Appreciate 1