BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clicking from wheel area when turning wheel right due low speed reversing

07-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Tim_Wills
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Clicking from wheel area when turning wheel right due low speed reversing

Hi all,
As title suggests, I've noticed there is a clicking coming from the front axle near the wheels when I'm parking, reversing or doing any sort of manoeuvring at really low speeds <3mph. No noise when driving at normal speeds and no noise/clicking if a turn the wheel really slow in the direction I need to go. Also no noise when front axle is jacked up and on axle stands…

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tim
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi BMW X5 F15 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Wills View Post
Hi all,
As title suggests, I've noticed there is a clicking coming from the front axle near the wheels when I'm parking, reversing or doing any sort of manoeuvring at really low speeds <3mph. No noise when driving at normal speeds and no noise/clicking if a turn the wheel really slow in the direction I need to go. Also no noise when front axle is jacked up and on axle stands…

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tim
Same here.. just started last week. A mechanic took a look at it and said it's coming from the hub area. I believe it's a know issue that the dealership can address.
      07-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #3
PopeDoomDoom
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Seems to be a common issue across all M models from what I've heard. I had a similar sound, tightening the pinch bolt that holds the front shock to the front spindle did the trick for me. When I went to turn the nut it moved the bolt with it, so it was definitely loose although its never been touched. Maybe they stretch over time and lose tension? I believe bolt and nut were 16mm, I used a ratchet with a 16mm socket and a 16mm wrench and snugged them up and sound has been gone since. Maybe give it a try and see if any changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #4
Tim_Wills
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeDoomDoom View Post
Seems to be a common issue across all M models from what I've heard. I had a similar sound, tightening the pinch bolt that holds the front shock to the front spindle did the trick for me. When I went to turn the nut it moved the bolt with it, so it was definitely loose although its never been touched. Maybe they stretch over time and lose tension? I believe bolt and nut were 16mm, I used a ratchet with a 16mm socket and a 16mm wrench and snugged them up and sound has been gone since. Maybe give it a try and see if any changes.
Thanks for the advice, bought a new boot and nut and tried but it's still there…
Appreciate 0