BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Steering wheel vibration on braking

07-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Steering wheel vibration on braking

Been having some steering wheel vibration when I brake. Car has 16k miles, I got it with 10k mikes a few months ago. Don't remember it doing this when I bought it. Usually I would say the vibration is around 40-60mph and worst on light braking, if I brake hard I don't think its noticeable anymore. Never tracked the car and I have driving it spirited but nothing crazy really, pretty babied.

I need to go get it serviced soon so will bring this up at the dealer but was wondering if anyone had any idea.

Its a 2020 m2 comp.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Pad deposits. The first owner of my car had the same issue, complained of it at 9,000 miles and the dealer told her it was common (OG M2) and replaced both the pads and rotors.

Slap a set of race pads on for a week and it'll go away, then put your stockers back on (if the dealer doesn't fix it for you).
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      07-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Pad deposits. The first owner of my car had the same issue, complained of it at 9,000 miles and the dealer told her it was common (OG M2) and replaced both the pads and rotors.

Slap a set of race pads on for a week and it'll go away, then put your stockers back on (if the dealer doesn't fix it for you).
that is very annoying. I will see what the dealer says since I do still have the warranty. If it does not go away I will do exactly what you mentioned. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6633.50
      07-24-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Took it to dealer today. Not going to be warranty replaced but according to them BMW recommends driving it this way for a while longer because it can disappear. Only solution from them is of course put new rotors in which I am not going to do at 16k miles. I do appreciate that they did not say the rotors are warped, they said that there is a pad imprint in the rotor and likely what is causing it, it is weird because I bought the car with 10k miles and pretty sure this was not happening and the car has not sat at all, I drive it every other day and the most it has sat has been like 5 days. But oh well, luckily it is only coming through at 50mph, 40 there is nothing, 60 a tiny bit and over that nothing either. If it does not go away I will get some track pads and see if I can smooth the rotors that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm seen pad imprints and have had judder albeit usually briefly then goes away. Can't tell you when or how. Could be after washing my car. Could be driving and braking hard, could be time itself or any other number of variables.

It's not however 'warped rotors' which can go in inverted commas as it is an extremely rare occurrence.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      07-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
I'm seen pad imprints and have had judder albeit usually briefly then goes away. Can't tell you when or how. Could be after washing my car. Could be driving and braking hard, could be time itself or any other number of variables.

It's not however 'warped rotors' which can go in inverted commas as it is an extremely rare occurrence.
This has been like this for about a month but I have not driven the car that much or at least too much braking, I live in the country side so sometimes I can drive a lot and not be on the brakes that much but lets hope it goes away because it is pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0