BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MSS Adjustable Springs - Set Up

07-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
Revolagoy
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

MSS Adjustable Springs - Set Up

Hello,

I installed the MSS springs on my 2018 M2 last weekend and was wondering how many of you with the same suspension adhered to the front being 5mm lower than the rear as a "must do" in the instructions?

My goal for the MSS springs was to improve ride quality and keep my car at the stock ride height which was 623mm front and 616mm rear. In order to follow the 5mm rake "must do", I ended up with 616mm in the front and 621mm in the rear. I really would like it to be more like the stock set up but didn't want to go against the install instructions. Seems strange to me to say the kit allows you to set your car at stock height but the instructions contradict your ability to do that.

What do you guys think of this "must do" requirement?

By the way, I emailed MSS with the same question and they regurgitated their install instruction requirement of a 5mm rake.

One last question, when you lower your car on the stock shocks with a kit like MSS are you taking away piston travel from the suspension?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Last edited by Revolagoy; 07-15-2021 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi BMW X5 F15 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolagoy View Post
Hello,

I installed the MSS springs on my 2018 M2 last weekend and was wondering how many of you with the same suspension adhered to the front being 5mm lower than the rear as a "must do" in the instructions?

My goal for the MSS springs was to improve ride quality and keep my car at the stock ride height which was 623mm front and 616mm rear. In order to follow the 5mm rake "must do", I ended up with 616mm in the front and 621mm in the rear. I really would like it to be more like the stock set up but didn't want to go against the install instructions. Seems strange to me to say the kit allows you to set your car at stock height but the instructions contradict your ability to do that.

By the way, I emailed MSS with the same question and they regurgitated their install instruction requirement of a 5mm rake.

One last question, when you lower your car on the stock shocks with a kit like MSS are you taking away piston travel from the suspension?

Hi,

I have the fronts all the way down and I believe 10mm in the rear
Attached Images

08-30-2021, 06:39 AM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Hello,

Why do you think fitting springs designed to lower the car would improve the ride quality?

But yes, if you lower the car on stock shocks you will reduce compression piston travel.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
Hello,

Why do you think fitting springs designed to lower the car would improve the ride quality?

But yes, if you lower the car on stock shocks you will reduce compression piston travel.
Because that's part of what MSS says there springs do.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 03:18 AM   #5
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzM3 View Post
Because that's part of what MSS says there springs do.
Do they say how? They are likely to have to be stiffer to allow for the reduced compression travel.
Appreciate 0