BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help With Suspension Options

04-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Hey all, I'm debating what to do to achieve a drop on my M2C. I need to get rid of some wheel gap and improve handling along the way. I plan to do a couple track days per year, but mostly street driving and twisties. I only would do around a 1" drop.

I'm between 3 options and would appreciate any advice.

My shop will charge the same to install any of these ($700 rip)

Option #1 - KW v3 Coilovers, .6" to 1.5" adjustment, $2270 cost
Option #2 - KW HAS adjustable spring kit, 0.6" to 1.2" adjustment, $765 cost
Option #3 - Eibach springs, roughly 0.8" drop, $240 cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post
Hey all, I'm debating what to do to achieve a drop on my M2C. I need to get rid of some wheel gap and improve handling along the way. I plan to do a couple track days per year, but mostly street driving and twisties. I only would do around a 1" drop.

Any other options for coilovers? Plenty of others to choose from. I have kwv3 and adjustability is pretty frustrating. The front compression (often seize up) and rear ride height are a real pain to adjust after initial set up.
      04-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
EricErac
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
Any other options for coilovers? Plenty of others to choose from. I have kwv3 and adjustability is pretty frustrating. The front compression (often seize up) and rear ride height are a real pain to adjust after initial set up.
Is the basic set up 9/6 - 9/6 not good ?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricErac View Post
Quote:
Is the basic set up 9/6 - 9/6 not good ?
I think it's just "okay". I don't track my car and I felt it needed to be stiffer even on the road. Car felt sloppy with the factory settings imo.
      04-26-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
EricErac
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
I think it's just "okay". I don't track my car and I felt it needed to be stiffer even on the road. Car felt sloppy with the factory settings imo.
Yes it's a very difficult topic, I hesitate between V3 which is maybe too soft and Ohlins RT which is surely too stiff ...and Clubsport too expensive ..Do you regret your choice or do you recommend the V3 ?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:48 PM   #6
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricErac View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes it's a very difficult topic, I hesitate between V3 which is maybe too soft and Ohlins RT which is surely too stiff ...and Clubsport too expensive ..Do you regret your choice or do you recommend the V3 ?
I bought the car with kwv3s on it already. With that being said, I'd be frustrated if I had spent my own money on them. Springs are too bouncy and they don't get THAT stiff.

If you are older and this is your daily, kwv3s make sense. I'm 23 and this is my second car so I don't really care about comfort and would've preferred something much rawer than what kwv3s can offer.
      04-27-2021, 02:14 AM   #7
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
I bought the car with kwv3s on it already. With that being said, I'd be frustrated if I had spent my own money on them. Springs are too bouncy and they don't get THAT stiff.

If you are older and this is your daily, kwv3s make sense. I'm 23 and this is my second car so I don't really care about comfort and would've preferred something much rawer than what kwv3s can offer.
Wind the adjusters up to full hard font and rear for both Compression and Rebound and let us know how it feels...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #8
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:

Wind the adjusters up to full hard font and rear for both Compression and Rebound and let us know how it feels...
I've done one click away for everything since you aren't supposed to max it out. Still soft for me
      04-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

The rear suspension needs to come apart every time you want to adjust ride height. Even on my clubsports I gotta do this which is unacceptable .

I think the only way around it ...is true coilovers on all 4 .
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #10
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

Taking installation cost into consideration, I would and did exclude options #2 & #3 b/c total cost of ownership is less than the benefit received.

For a datapoint I went w/MP Coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #11
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Taking installation cost into consideration, I would and did exclude options #2 & #3 b/c total cost of ownership is less than the benefit received.

For a datapoint I went w/MP Coilovers.
My $.02...

BMW M Performance C/O kit

or TC Klines 300/600 Koni setup.

Both are tuned to the car and still offer decent street comfort in their softer settings.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #12
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:

What was the first car as a matter of interest?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #13
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Quote:

This is my only car. I work remotely so I don't NEED to drive anywhere that often but I would like comfort and the ability to have good track performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBM2C View Post
The rear suspension needs to come apart every time you want to adjust ride height. Even on my clubsports I gotta do this which is unacceptable .

Really the KW v3's you need to? You can't just turn the collars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
My $.02...

Both are tuned to the car and still offer decent street comfort in their softer settings.
The M Perf coilover kit is the same as the KW's virtually. They are both made by KW and to my understanding the KW's give a bit more flexibility and performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #14
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is my only car. I work remotely so I don't NEED to drive anywhere that often but I would like comfort and the ability to have good track performance.

The M Perf coilover kit is the same as the KW's virtually. They are both made by KW and to my understanding the KW's give a bit more flexibility and performance.
The design of the rear springs means the MPS can be adjusted on the car, but there's less adjustment. You basically wind them all the way down and leave them there until the springs settle, then wind them back up a little.

The helper spring and intermediate spring platform on the KWs means the whole assembly tends to rotate, so unless you're prepared to grind a slot in the upper spring seat so you can keep it from rotating with a large and very long screwdriver inserted through the hole in the Camber Control Arm, you're going to have to take it all apart. Which is a pain.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #15
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What was the first car as a matter of interest?
Not sure if you quite understood what I meant. I meant this is my weekend vehicle. I drive a sonata hybrid daily which is obviously super soft.
      04-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #16
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBM2C View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
My $.02...

Kwv3s/ mperf might be for you then. Good luck!
      04-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #17
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if you quite understood what I meant. I meant this is my weekend vehicle. I drive a sonata hybrid daily which is obviously super soft.
Okay, so what have you been driving before? I'm trying to establish a reference point for what you would consider to be sufficiently stiff based on previous experience.

I can think of a set of non-adjustable H&R coilovers I had on a go faster VW some years ago where the ride and body control felt great - provided you were doing more than 40mph. The spring rates were about twice those of the stock VW springs, so were bone jarring at low speeds. They were sold as Fast Road/Track items though, so this wasn't really a surprise...

Last edited by M Fifty; 04-27-2021 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
wassy497.50
      04-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #18
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, so what have you been driving before? I'm trying to establish a reference point for what you would consider to be sufficiently stiff based on previous experience.

I can think of a set of non-adjustable H&R coilovers I had on a go faster VW some years ago where the ride and body control felt great - provided you were doing more than 40mph. The spring rates were about twice those of the stock VW springs, so were bone jarring at low speeds. They were sold as Fast Road/Track items though, so this wasn't really a surprise...
I never owned anything as stiff as this but I've driven both 981 and caymans which felt quite a bit better
      06-13-2021, 08:39 PM   #19
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Have you looked into the ST XTA for ?

Forum member 3LiterBeater has a thread on the next page of this forum. He’s had 9 sets of coils.

Made for m3/m4 actually, but so is kw has.

The ST are made by kw.

Way cheaper than kw v3, only a bit more than kw has.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:39 PM   #20
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
It seems like basic set of lowering springs will work for your needs.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:14 PM   #21
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Couple comments
First, $700 to install is highway robbery. Try a different shop.
Second, some are saying Ohlins are stiffer than KWv3, definitely not in my experience. Maybe if Ohlins are set to full stiff, but a nice 7-8 clicks is comfortable - not bouncy, firm, etc.
Third, typically I prefer to stay away from just replacing springs as you want to match the spring rates with the dampening of the coilover. I suppose you could just do a lowering spring and achieve what you want which is just to lower the car. But again, I wouldn't do just springs if the shop you're going to is charging $700. It's literally a 45min-1hr job, $200 max.
      06-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #22
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Couple comments
First, $700 to install is highway robbery. Try a different shop.
Second, some are saying Ohlins are stiffer than KWv3, definitely not in my experience. Maybe if Ohlins are set to full stiff, but a nice 7-8 clicks is comfortable - not bouncy, firm, etc.
Third, typically I prefer to stay away from just replacing springs as you want to match the spring rates with the dampening of the coilover. I suppose you could just do a lowering spring and achieve what you want which is just to lower the car. But again, I wouldn't do just springs if the shop you're going to is charging $700. It's literally a 45min-1hr job, $200 max.
700 did seem high for springs. What about coils, how long does that usually take?
Appreciate 0