BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Camber Plates Design Comparison

04-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #23
Doublej
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2022 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
The silver ring on top has no effect on caster. That ring is where the alu strut brace mounts to. On F2x/F3x cars that silver ring isn't included.
GC claims you can have some minor caster adjustment and that was the only thing that stood out to me that would allow it. Without one in my hand I can't tell for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #24
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublej View Post
GC claims you can have some minor caster adjustment and that was the only thing that stood out to me that would allow it. Without one in my hand I can't tell for sure.
The only way I see that on their plate is if it's directly tied to the camber adjustment (so not independent). That could be done by having the slot the shock mount slides in at an angle instead of straight in/out from the edge of the car towards the center of the car.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #25
sea_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I put the TC Kline's on a few weeks ago. No NVH increase at all. They also updated their design so adjustment is now slotted, instead of the fixed position adjustment holes we see in all pictures. It was a nice surprise, because all their website photos still show the old versions.

Mine are set at their lowest setting, which added 1.3 degrees of neg camber, and 1 degree of caster. Not sure if that is dependent on ride height though, so you might get different results depending on your coil settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I put the TC Kline's on a few weeks ago. No NVH increase at all. They also updated their design so adjustment is now slotted, instead of the fixed position adjustment holes we see in all pictures. It was a nice surprise, because all their website photos still show the old versions.

Mine are set at their lowest setting, which added 1.3 degrees of neg camber, and 1 degree of caster. Not sure if that is dependent on ride height though, so you might get different results depending on your coil settings.
What coilovers are you running with your TC Kline plates? I recently purchased them and when I went to install them, I realized they would not work with my spring hats on my coilovers. The spring hats make contact with the bottom of the TC Kline plates and won't fully seat.

Sold: 2015 M235i RWD, MHD Stage 2, FBO, MPE, XHP, HPD5Evo | IG @sea_m235i
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:29 AM   #26
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
The only way I see that on their plate is if it's directly tied to the camber adjustment (so not independent). That could be done by having the slot the shock mount slides in at an angle instead of straight in/out from the edge of the car towards the center of the car.
If wanting combined camber and caster adjustable top mount, Suspension Secrets here in the UK have just launched their camber plates for F8x M2C/3&4.

Has some nice design touches...see YT vlog below from ~ 6:30 in.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4016.00
      05-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #27
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
If wanting combined camber and caster adjustable top mount, Suspension Secrets here in the UK have just launched their camber plates for F8x M2C/3&4.

Has some nice design touches...see YT vlog below from ~ 6:30 in.

I couldn't quite tell what they said about Millway (something was sourced from them, or licensed, ect.) in the video on the plates, but the SS design is clearly derived from Millways. It'd be nice to see the camber/caster adjustment curve (x amount of camber produces y amount of caster). Clever the way they've done it.

I couldn't help but notice the knocking noises (starting around 12:45) picked up by the video during the test drive. Ouch.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 03:57 AM   #28
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
I couldn't quite tell what they said about Millway (something was sourced from them, or licensed, ect.) in the video on the plates, but the SS design is clearly derived from Millways. It'd be nice to see the camber/caster adjustment curve (x amount of camber produces y amount of caster). Clever the way they've done it.

I couldn't help but notice the knocking noises (starting around 12:45) picked up by the video during the test drive. Ouch.
Not sure I easily picked that up, shouldnt knock should it ?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #29
Doublej
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2022 911 GT3

Quote:

I like the ability to adjust caster. It's difficult to find any info on caster adjustment for these cars but I'd like to explore it. From their articles on the M2C suspension, they say some additional caster would be beneficial, but just how much and as FaRKle! mentioned, what is the curve look like.

JJ
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #30
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

If you want caster adjustment as well check out the nitrons as I think they support camber and caster

https://www.nitron.co.uk/buy-online/...ront-top-plate
      06-18-2021, 01:20 AM   #31
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I posted earlier in this thread regarding my Millway Street plates & how the aluminium strut brace interfered with accessing an adjustment screw for camber beyond -2.4. I have an OG LCI with F80 bracing.
I've decided 2.4 is not enough for track so now trying separate street (-2.0) & track (-3.0) settings plus I've marked 2 settings on the tie-rods to keep zero toe-in.

Attached picture shows the minor mod required to the aluminium brace so I can get a 5mm hex key in to torque the adjustment screw at -3.0 camber. I've just bought some replacement screws from Millway (alignment shop damaged a couple of the hex screws) and they are now torx so would required a slightly bigger cut-out in the brace.

Still no noise from the Millway Street plates after 20K km which includes 7 track days and about 4K km spirited driving on average to poor remote country roads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 01:16 AM   #32
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have e-mailed Suspension secrets and Millway but heard nothing yet.

My two questions :

Millway - when will your street Millway for a non comp M2 be available (out of stock ordered 3 weeks ago)

Suspension Secrets - I'd like to know what adjustment are recommended for caster and how accurate are the standard non adjustable cars. Plus how suitable for mostly road are the bearing top plates (noisy-harshness NVH etc)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #33
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
Quote:

Not sure I easily picked that up, shouldnt knock should it ?
I've discussed nvh with 5 owners with SS camber plates - no increase. Matt at SS confirmed to me that SS spent awhile selecting on bearings and opted for same OE supplier as oem 991 Gt3 top mounts..

I might weigh in

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #34
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
If you want caster adjustment as well check out the nitrons as I think they support camber and caster

https://www.nitron.co.uk/buy-online/...ront-top-plate
Nitron CP only compatible with small diameter race type springs

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #35
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I've discussed nvh with 5 owners with SS camber plates - no increase. Matt at SS confirmed to me that SS spent awhile selecting on bearings and opted for same OE supplier as oem 991 Gt3 top mounts..

I might weigh in
Well as I’m happy with my 991 GT3 I’m up for a set as well. I have my car booked in at Litchfield. I hope SS will get back to me to discuss castor settings
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #36
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Have you guys seen these? https://k-mac-camber-kits.com/produc...ace-192616-2n/

The design looks very interesting and I like how they include bump stops
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #37
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2OG View Post
Have you guys seen these? https://k-mac-camber-kits.com/produc...ace-192616-2n/

The design looks very interesting and I like how they include bump stops
KMAC hasn't had a very good history with camber plates. Haven't held up well.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 01:48 AM   #38
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I am not 100% sure why a lot list M2 or M2C, are they retrofittable, I thought it was only the competition strut being the difference ? is this worth retrofitting by the way ?

I am thinking of the Suspension Secrets set up with Litchfield AST Suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:14 AM   #39
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am not 100% sure why a lot list M2 or M2C, are they retrofittable, I thought it was only the competition strut being the difference ? is this worth retrofitting by the way ?

I am thinking of the Suspension Secrets set up with Litchfield AST Suspension
If changing top mounts then I'd seriously consider retrofitting the m2c alloy brace - makes a difference.

Did it on mine and ran just the alloy brace part for circa 6 months before adding CFRP U brace to finish as more window dressing !!!
Attached Images

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #40
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Tks,

Ahh, okay does the alloy brace fit underneath the rubber gaiters ?

Is there a part number or good source ?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #41
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

RE: Camber Plates.

FWIW, I’m running KW V3’s with Suspension Secrets’ Camber Plates and Millway monoballs in the front thrust arms. No appreciable NVH over stock in an M2C.

I’d read long and wide that camber plates increase NVH, but even as stock, the M2 isn’t exactly a comfortable and quiet car. Bad roads will easily highlight how stiff and unyielding the chassis is, which can be positive/negative based on your perspective. The M2 is definitely not built to be a GT.

The combination of monoballs and solid bushings move the balance towards a track-biased car, but even then, the reduction in daily comfort is perhaps 10% or less in my experience.

The camber plates are high-quality and use a high quality bearing. There is naturally some ‘noise’ transmitted via the top-mounts, but this is just due to the reduced sound-deadening from the stock mounts; however it really is negligible, and not the magnified knocking we’re led to believe.

I suspect (but I can’t be certain), that on some coilover combinations, e.g, Ohlins, or any setup using a narrow racing spring that the noise increase may be more as you won’t be reusing the stock rubber swivel mounts from the existing top-mounts, but more metal to metal contact through a metal spring plate adapter. However, this is just a theory and for the more expensive motorsport setups, NVH takes a secondary importance to overall performance.

In my case, any sound only presents itself when you’re negotiating steep inclines at an angle(like a driveway or entry ramp), where one of the wheels is unloaded, even then it’s minimal and brief. I don’t tend to take these ramps at speed anyways but that’s just me.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #42
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
I have Ohlins with the narrower front spring, Vorshlage Camber Plates, after 5,000 miles and many Track Days, I can say There is zero noise or vibration coming from them. I have been pleasantly surprised, as I had expected just the opposite.
      06-22-2021, 12:22 AM   #43
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well alas the Suspension secrets will not fit on the non competition cars, so I after watching the useful video on this thread I will hopefully hear back from Millway regarding the timing of the supply for the street camber plates or look at a UK supplier of Vorshlage
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 02:27 AM   #44
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Tks,

Ahh, okay does the alloy brace fit underneath the rubber gaiters ?

Is there a part number or good source ?
Yes and the best source for a used RHD M2C/M3/M4 is UK ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/11020948080 - says f3x but its actually from a F8x car - £75

Have a read of this thread so as you know what's involved/parts required...

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=brace

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0