BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Datalog Help Needed - M2

02-13-2023, 12:38 AM   #1
nachoau05
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Datalog Help Needed - M2

Hello everyone!
I have recently added new bolt-ons to my 2018 M2 (N55) as well as a tune and have started data-logging as a way to ensure the car is running well. I have read a bit about datalogs and have some understanding about ignition timing, but for the most part are clueless about what I am looking at. I wanted to post my logs here and get the opinion of everyone in the community.
Current bolt ons:
- VRSF Chargepipe
- VRSF Catless Downpipe
- BM3 Stage 2 93 Octane
- CSF Intercooler
- MPE Exhaust

First log:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...0b43f359ef3472
4th gear 2500-6500

Second log:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...90c65e55c42996
3rd gear 2500-6500

Let me know what you guys think!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 09:29 AM   #2
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Looks like your HPFP is dipping a decent amount off target on the second log.

Otherwise the ignition corrections don’t appear to be worrisome. Was this in MDM or with traction completely off?

I’d want to keep an eye on that HPFP with some more logs personally. Maybe others can chime in on exactly when it’s seriously concerning. It doesn’t appear to be impacting your air/fuel ratios so that’s good news.

Last edited by ///393; 02-13-2023 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 12:19 PM   #3
nachoau05
United_States
Rep

Thanks a lot for the feedback! In the first log posted, I believe I was just in regular sport mode (traction still on) and on the second it was on sport + (traction off but dsc on). Not too sure that these og n55 m2s actually have mdm like the s55 versions. I do actually have other logs run that same night but I only posted those two since in the others I hit small bumps on the road. Ill post them regardless so that you can take a look at them. Once again, lmk what you think! Ill be doing more datalogs soon to see if the hpfp keeps dipping. If so, what would you recommend? Upgrading it to something like dorch or spool performance?
Here are the other logs:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...90c65e55c42995
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...0b43f359ef3473
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...90c65a9d947e12
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...0b43eff807d7e4

Thanks again for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 12:24 PM   #4
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachoau05 View Post
Thanks a lot for the feedback! In the first log posted, I believe I was just in regular sport mode (traction still on) and on the second it was on sport + (traction off but dsc on). Not too sure that these og n55 m2s actually have mdm like the s55 versions. I do actually have other logs run that same night but I only posted those two since in the others I hit small bumps on the road. Ill post them regardless so that you can take a look at them. Once again, lmk what you think! Ill be doing more datalogs soon to see if the hpfp keeps dipping. If so, what would you recommend? Upgrading it to something like dorch or spool performance?
Here are the other logs:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...90c65e55c42995
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...0b43f359ef3473
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...90c65a9d947e12
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=63e8...0b43eff807d7e4

Thanks again for the help.
They definitely have MDM. Sport+ activates it. Do your runs in Sport+ or completely off by pressing and holding the DSC button until you see it’s completely disabled. You don’t want any of the nannie’s interfering.

Re: HPFP yes, an upgraded unit would be the solution. Keep an eye out for knock events in your logs as well as significant timing corrections across multiple cylinders.

I only see one knock event detected in the other four logs and your HPFP is hitting target. Some say one off knock events are nbd, others say it’s not ideal and should
Be addressed. Ultimately you can see timing corrects as a result in these logs and it doesn’t persist so the system is doing its job.

I run 93oct Shell fuel but dropped back to the BM3 Stage2 91 octane tune out of an abundance of caution after seeing similar timing corrections and an occasional knock event just like these logs. You may want to do the same. The power decrease is minimal, but it is noticeable under WOT but frankly when are you really doing WOT multi-gear pulls on the street. That’s a great way to lose your license with these cars.

Outside of those types of pulls, the power delta isn’t really noticeable so I’m happy with the compromise. BM3 tunes run a little hot according to tuners I trust so, take that for what it’s worth.

Be safe out there.

Last edited by ///393; 02-13-2023 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 12:34 PM   #5
nachoau05
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Looks like your HPFP is dipping a decent amount off target on the second log.

Otherwise the ignition corrections don’t appear to be worrisome. Was this in MDM or with traction completely off?

I’d want to keep an eye on that HPFP with some more logs personally. Maybe others can chime in on exactly when it’s seriously concerning. It doesn’t appear to be impacting your air/fuel ratios so that’s good news.
Quote:
They definitely have MDM. Sport+ activates it. Do your runs in Sport+ or completely off by pressing and holding the DSC button until you see it’s completely disabled. You don’t want any of the nannie’s interfering.

Re: HPFP yes, an upgraded unit would be the solution. Keep an eye out for knock events in your logs as well as significant timing corrections across multiple cylinders.

Be safe out there.
Sounds good Ill be doing them with dsc off from now on. I was planning on eventually upgrading the fuel pump either way and hopefully at one point going on a custome e85 tune. In regards to the knock events, what in particular do I look out for and what should I do about it if it indeed does appear to be a problem. Relatively new to all of this tuning stuff so I apologize for all the questions but greatly appreciate the information. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 12:41 PM   #6
///393
Captain
Rep

All good on the questions. That’s what forums are for.

When you open the logs, hit deselect all. You can then enable values as desired. E.g HPFP target and HPFP actual to compare how well the HPFP is working. This will expose the dips I’m referencing.

Knock events show up as spikes after enabling the knock event value. A one off here or there is one thing, but multiple knock events in a multiple gear pull is concerning as is repeated knock events across logs imo. If you’re seeing them in multiple logs, imo it’s time to turn your tune down.

While these motors have forged internals, knock events are a sign of pre-detonation and pre-detonation hurts motors. I want longevity out of mine, so while you could argue one off knock events with timing correction isn’t going to hurt anything to the point of catastrophic failure it’s something I want to avoid myself.

Your solution to significant timing correction and/or knock events is either more octane, or a less aggressive tune. Unfortunately 93octane is all you have available so that leaves you with one option, backing down to a less aggressive tune like the 91oct tune or the tune for piss water gas aka ACN91.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 03:31 PM   #7
nachoau05
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All good on the questions. That’s what forums are for.

When you open the logs, hit deselect all. You can then enable values as desired. E.g HPFP target and HPFP actual to compare how well the HPFP is working. This will expose the dips I’m referencing.

Knock events show up as spikes after enabling the knock event value. A one off here or there is one thing, but multiple knock events in a multiple gear pull is concerning as is repeated knock events across logs imo. If you’re seeing them in multiple logs, imo it’s time to turn your tune down.

While these motors have forged internals, knock events are a sign of pre-detonation and pre-detonation hurts motors. I want longevity out of mine, so while you could argue one off knock events with timing correction isn’t going to hurt anything to the point of catastrophic failure it’s something I want to avoid myself.

Your solution to significant timing correction and/or knock events is either more octane, or a less aggressive tune. Unfortunately 93octane is all you have available so that leaves you with one option, backing down to a less aggressive tune like the 91oct tune or the tune for piss water gas aka ACN91.
I truly appreciate all the feedback! Will keep all of this in mind in the upcoming datalogs but will most likely step down to 91 oct as you recommended. Its funny though, I stumbled across a forum discussing different octane tunes across bm3 and mhd, and surprisingly stage 2 91 oct on bm3 got the most power down out of them all on the dyno xD. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Once again thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 05:39 PM   #8
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachoau05 View Post
Its funny though, I stumbled across a forum discussing different octane tunes across bm3 and mhd, and surprisingly stage 2 91 oct on bm3 got the most power down out of them all on the dyno xD. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Once again thanks for the help!
I would guess this is the result of different dynos/environments/etc.

Having run both, my finely calibrated ass dyno reads about 11whp less on the S291 tune.
Appreciate 1