BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Home Family Room Soundbar upgrade Help

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-02-2023, 05:24 PM   #1
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Home Family Room Soundbar upgrade Help

Hello,

Looking to get some help and suggestions on upgrading the soundbar and subwoofer in my family room.

I have a Samsung sound bar in there now and wish it sounded better and with better bass. I have used Samsung since I have a Samsung tv. The sound is just meh and for the price I was hoping for loud bass and crisp dialog and music while watching tv, movies and sports.

I am open to all suggestions. Currently looking at Bose and Sonos. But they are pretty pricey.


Thanks!
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 05:53 PM   #2
nunzo
Peanut Butter and Jelly
nunzo's Avatar
715
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: germans
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: PA/CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [9.83]
The Sonos Arc and coordinating sub is incredible. We have a Samsung frame in the main family room which could have the worst speakers of any tv made and needed a soundbar solution.
Appreciate 1
MoeTE87552.50
      12-02-2023, 05:55 PM   #3
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzo View Post
The Sonos Arc and coordinating sub is incredible. We have a Samsung frame in the main family room which could have the worst speakers of any tv made and needed a soundbar solution.
Thank you and thatís what I have been hearing! I have gone through a few Samsung sound bars with wireless subs and the sound is horrible. I want to be blown away.
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 06:06 PM   #4
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
462
Rep
1,121
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Denver Area

iTrader: (4)

+1 for Sonos.
Appreciate 1
MoeTE87552.50
      12-02-2023, 07:55 PM   #5
fraschusa
Enlisted Member
fraschusa's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2023 M5 Comp
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Bang Olufson makes some really nice stuff, and it integrates well with your room. The sound is excellent, and with their design options, you can pick what fits best for your room. I personally don't like soundbars, because I don't like to have big speaker-looking things in my rooms. I suggest looking at the Beolab 8's. They are incredible and have a small form factor and lots of clever options to fit in any room. Anything B&O is a bit pricy, but their quality and design are outstanding. Others suggested Sonos, which is definitely a good choice as well.
Appreciate 1
MoeTE87552.50
      12-04-2023, 09:10 AM   #6
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Thanks fraschusa! I will take a look at B&O today and see what they have. I guess if worst comes to worst. I will keep the sound bar that is up in the family room and splurge a little bit and get a real nice theater sound system for the basement to connect to the new 75in tv down there.

Any one have thoughts on the Sonos Beam 2 vs the Sonos Arc? Is the little sub powerful enough to deliver great sounding bass?


Thank you!
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 08:02 AM   #7
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Hello All,

I want to revisit this! So my wife and I went over to her younger sisters / husbands house yesterday because they needed my help installing cabinets and making complicated angle cuts on a butcher block counter top. They have the Sonos Beam 2 and the Sub Mini in their home.

It sounded really good. He was demoing a few scenes from Maverik which sounded good! It sounds 100x better than the Samsung sound bar and wireless sub we have in our basement.

I was hoping for a little more punch and rumble.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Bose Smart Sound bar 600 and the bass module 500 or 700?

Same thing with the JBL BAR 500?


Thanks!
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 11:08 AM   #8
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Got this a few days ago and holy shit, it rumbles, shakes the whole house and sounds amazing! Can't wait to use it during the Super Bowl!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-bar...?skuId=6532530
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 12:51 PM   #9
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
BIGW0RM's Avatar
No_Country
2934
Rep
4,552
Posts

Drives: Ice Cream Truck
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have a movie room in my house with a true 5.1 surround setup. Huge tower speakers, high end center channel, nice rear speakers, 12" sub, amp and marantz receiver

And in our family room TV, we have a sonos bar, sonos sub and two of there wireless rear speakers.

While my big system is louder. I think the sonos system sounds MUCH nicer. I was shocked at how well the sonos bar can seperate sound from left to right. Surround overall just sounds better on the sonos vs my marantz system.

Sonos gets my vote!
__________________
2022 G80 M3 Competition X / 2020 Range Rover Sport P525 / 2023 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 1
MoeTE87552.50
      02-08-2024, 03:02 PM   #10
4JawChuck
Private
208
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i SE
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Iíve noticed some sound bars have a delay if youíre connected via Bluetooth. Any recommendations on ones that connect via Bluetooth, pretty disappointed with the ones Iíve auditioned so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:26 PM   #11
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I was at best buy on Monday and wanted to hear the Sonos / Bose and JBL in person. The Sonos sounded good but I wasn't blown away. The Bose sounded a little better but I was still not blown away by the sound. Then I walked over to the JBL and I liked what I heard alot and the sound was clear and the sub had the perfect amount of bass.

I just couldn't justify spending over $1500 for the Sonos and Bose to be honest. I am behind thrilled with my JBL Bar 500 ($500) purchase.

I have my soundbar connected to my tv with a 4k HDMI cord in both eARC slots and the subwoofer is wireless and it doesn't skip a beat.
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:47 PM   #12
DocL
Captain
DocL's Avatar
United_States
1899
Rep
848
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Delray Beach

iTrader: (2)

No lows. No highs. Must be Blows. I'd never get a Bose anything besides their noise canceling headphones.
__________________
2018 F80 M3. YMB/BLK. ZCP. Three Pedals.
"Education will never be as expensive as ignorance."
Appreciate 1
MoeTE87552.50
      02-08-2024, 04:24 PM   #13
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I agree with that. The price for the soundbar and sub that I wanted was over $1700 and that to me is just nuts.
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 04:46 PM   #14
Ginster6
Second Lieutenant
276
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: G80 with a Stick
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

sonos ARC and sub is the best bang and sound for the money.

Only the Nakamichi Dragon will best the sonos but 2x the price.

I have installed both. I am a custom AV integrator.
Appreciate 1
MoeTE87552.50
      02-08-2024, 05:08 PM   #15
michaelscott21
New Member
23
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2024 X3 x30i
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Make sure you check the compatibility with your TV if you want to able to control with speakers with your TV remote. I have a Sony HT-XT1 and an LG OLED. The TV needs to connect with Optical first and then switch to HDMI ARC before I can start using the TV remote to control the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 05:58 PM   #16
JMcLellan
Captain
JMcLellan's Avatar
United_States
1683
Rep
975
Posts

Drives: 2024 M2
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeTE87 View Post
Got this a few days ago and holy shit, it rumbles, shakes the whole house and sounds amazing! Can't wait to use it during the Super Bowl!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-bar...?skuId=6532530
Well crap. I was just taking a serious look at this exact JBL setup as it seems like a great option at that price point. Perfect timing to see this feedback so thank you for that. If I end up buying it will mostly be your fault
__________________
2024 M2
2019 M240i- Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 07:21 AM   #17
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott21 View Post
Make sure you check the compatibility with your TV if you want to able to control with speakers with your TV remote. I have a Sony HT-XT1 and an LG OLED. The TV needs to connect with Optical first and then switch to HDMI ARC before I can start using the TV remote to control the speakers.
Thankfully this JBL is one of the few that allow me to use my Samsung tv remote to adjust the volume and be able to turn off the tv and sound bar at the same time. So luckily no issues there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Well crap. I was just taking a serious look at this exact JBL setup as it seems like a great option at that price point. Perfect timing to see this feedback so thank you for that. If I end up buying it will mostly be your fault
Awesome! It is a great sound bar! I will put it through the test today and on Sunday for the Superbowl. Then I can give a more accurate review on how I feel about it.

We have listened to music and watched some tv shows on it and it sounds great so far. I mainly bought it for movies and sports. So I am eager to hear what it sounds like today and Sunday! I will report back but so far..5/5 stars!
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan1683.00
      02-12-2024, 12:45 PM   #18
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Update:

So I have an update about the JBL sound bar.

It is freakin amazing!

This past Friday night, the wife and I watched Maverick and the sound bar sounded fantastic! Dialog was crisp and vivid. The 10" subwoofer provided plenty of low end and mid level rumble and you could feel it!

True test was last night during the Super Bowl. It passed all of the tests and everyone at our party was raving over the JBL. We had the house rocking during the halftime show!

This purchase to me, was well worth the $500 and was 1/3rd of the price of Sonos and Bose. Very happy with the purchase!
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:39 PM   #19
JMcLellan
Captain
JMcLellan's Avatar
United_States
1683
Rep
975
Posts

Drives: 2024 M2
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeTE87 View Post
Update:

So I have an update about the JBL sound bar.

It is freakin amazing!

This past Friday night, the wife and I watched Maverick and the sound bar sounded fantastic! Dialog was crisp and vivid. The 10" subwoofer provided plenty of low end and mid level rumble and you could feel it!

True test was last night during the Super Bowl. It passed all of the tests and everyone at our party was raving over the JBL. We had the house rocking during the halftime show!

This purchase to me, was well worth the $500 and was 1/3rd of the price of Sonos and Bose. Very happy with the purchase!
I'm glad you are happy with your purchase!

I pulled the trigger on Saturday and picked up the same JBL setup. Made the business case to the wife that we needed the upgraded sound so she could rock out to Usher's halftime performance.....it's funny after we hooked it up we watched the last 30 minutes or so of Maverick to hear how the JBL performed.

I really like what I got for the money. I might just get another one for my garage TV's. But I tell you I'm sure there were some folks at my local Best Buy laughing at me trying to get the box to fit into my car. It was a challenging process for sure....
__________________
2024 M2
2019 M240i- Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:23 AM   #20
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
MoeTE87's Avatar
553
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M340i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I'm glad you are happy with your purchase!

I pulled the trigger on Saturday and picked up the same JBL setup. Made the business case to the wife that we needed the upgraded sound so she could rock out to Usher's halftime performance.....it's funny after we hooked it up we watched the last 30 minutes or so of Maverick to hear how the JBL performed.

I really like what I got for the money. I might just get another one for my garage TV's. But I tell you I'm sure there were some folks at my local Best Buy laughing at me trying to get the box to fit into my car. It was a challenging process for sure....
Haha! That is awesome and one of my reasons why we needed one too. So the wife went for it and she loves it!

That is just too funny! The movie Maverick really puts the soundbar / sub through it's paces and shows you what the JBL can really do! I can't believe you used the movie Maverick as well!

I am sure it was a tight fit in your M2! How did you get the box in there? Fold down the back seats? I was able to lay the box across the back seat of my M340i.

I am happy that you and your wife like it! I do plan on buying another one too. Looks like the price went back up to $600. I am not in a dire need for another one, so when it goes on sale again, I might snatch one up.
__________________
Present: 2021 BMW M340i Mineral White
Past: 2018 BMW X5 Mineral White, 2018 BMW 340i Alpine White, 2016 BMW F15 X5 xDrive / Glacier Silver, 2011 BMW 335xi / Alpine White, 2008 BMW 135i Sedona Red
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:41 AM   #21
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
c1pher's Avatar
United_States
4470
Rep
3,974
Posts

Drives: All of them
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
We love our Nakamichi Dragon. I need to upgrade my TV now though lol.

Last edited by c1pher; 02-13-2024 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 09:33 AM   #22
JMcLellan
Captain
JMcLellan's Avatar
United_States
1683
Rep
975
Posts

Drives: 2024 M2
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeTE87 View Post
Haha! That is awesome and one of my reasons why we needed one too. So the wife went for it and she loves it!

That is just too funny! The movie Maverick really puts the soundbar / sub through it's paces and shows you what the JBL can really do! I can't believe you used the movie Maverick as well!

I am sure it was a tight fit in your M2! How did you get the box in there? Fold down the back seats? I was able to lay the box across the back seat of my M340i.

I am happy that you and your wife like it! I do plan on buying another one too. Looks like the price went back up to $600. I am not in a dire need for another one, so when it goes on sale again, I might snatch one up.
I did see the price went back up. Must have been a superbowl week sale price.

I folded down the rear seats and tried to slide the box through the trunk into the backseat but no luck. I ended up squeezing the box behind the front folded up seat and into the back. If that hadn't worked plan C was to take the parts out of the box and fold the box up.
__________________
2024 M2
2019 M240i- Sold
Appreciate 1
MoeTE87552.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST