BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > I hope they don't go and copy it:) Fatty Bro's M2 track review

04-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #67
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Chinese Randy P LOL great review
      04-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #68
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Your assessment of the "not trying" phenomenon is probably correct. I know many people get all sensitive about any critical responses on forums. Hell, much of the time a critical response is "hating". That goes for M4 forums, M2 forums, Porsche forums, etc. I mistakenly thought saying the "not trying" bit might calm those that are hyper sensitive

I'm not particularly butt hurt that many are saying the M2 is better than the M4. It certainly seems like it is better suited for track use. The M4 does feel kind of big and heavy, both on the street and on the track. My primary track car is about 2700 pounds so i'm guessing the M2 would feel too big and heavy to me.

The thing that did get my hackles raised was the track comparison to the Porsche 911 GTS. That car is sublime, and in an entirely different league than any BMW. For that reason, I call the entire article suspect.

So, i'm not trying to be argumentative, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I know right ?? !

It's the year 2016.... And somehow
Two people in the thread ( not you I know ) have already said " I'm not trying "..........

since I was about 5 years old, I've understood that the moment someone says

" I ain't trying to be a " ( insert stupid statement here )

Then they are GONNA be a (insert stupid statement here ) .

I ain't trying to be a racist....
I ain't trying to be a hater ....
I ain't trying to be a dumbass....

If you are a person whose mouth begins to form the words " I ain't trying " . Then the next thing to actually do is just shut up.

Don't " try "... Instead ... " DO" .
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 01:38 AM   #69
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
The thing that did get my hackles raised was the track comparison to the Porsche 911 GTS. That car is sublime, and in an entirely different league than any BMW. For that reason, I call the entire article suspect.

So, i'm not trying to be argumentative, but...
It was only the laptimes they were comparing, noodles to say a 911 GTS is a great car. It better be... for the $$$

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #70
zac5
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco_Z View Post
zac5 my friend, the test for this M2 was also done in a cold weather as early spring, in the rural districts of Beijing (compare to urban districts), it could be as cold as a late autumn/early winter weather, both reviews were done on the same track called Pinggu circuit as you could see from my screen shots of their conversation.

Although I'm not back in Beijing at moment but my parents kept me posted every week about everything especially I'm flying back tomorrow for holiday so they sure told me enough about the weather and what clothes to bring back lol

I do agree with you about the social media talk to impress BMW China, typical Chines or should I say capital city play :P by the way, in general, Chinese actually likes Merc best then it is the Audi. In fact BMW is the least favourite among the big three, so, go figure.....

Just curious which district do you live and work? I'm guessing you work in Chaoyang CBD
Were you in Beijing at that time they shot the video? No.
Were you in Beijing when they did the test on M4? No.
Have you ever been to that track? Probably no.
I was in Beijing and I have been to that track several times.
What I can tell you is temp goes up and down during spring, they could have caught a warmer day(which I can assure you). But the temp was below zero when they did test on other cars(Their 2015 annual testing to be specific). Again, M2 was a brand new car and the M4 was in bad condition when they borrowed it.

I work in this business so I get to be the next guy test drive the M2 after autohome. M2 is nice, but don't exaggerate its performance, especially at the expense of M4, this is where I see the test by autohome is not objective. If the truth hurts, then don't bother to listen to me.

Chinese have very different consuming habbits and patterns when looking into different market segments, I personally will never make a statement such as Chinese perfer Merc to Audi or BMW, so go figure. The thing about media guys care is which manufacture has the richest budget for advertising rather than which to be the most popular in domestic market. Again, I am in this business, so things are viewed a little differently here.

Again, it's a nice car and good review. However, it is very misleading at the same time. I was merely for some behind the scene stories. Sorry for thread jacking. If the review makes everyone happy here, so be it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:26 AM   #71
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

I wish i could understand Chinese, even if I learn intensively ill probably not be able to

I like what he said, the M used be compact, agile and fun to drive but they all have gotten bigger

This is soooo true i remember driving E46 M3 was kinda like that and my E92 but true my M4 Seems to be huge at times
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #72
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Now's the chance for the Social Justice Warriors of bimmerpost to identify who yourselves are, and go on your beloved witch hunts

Then, please delete your account. Thank you.
Well, I know what a Women is, but what are these, "other types" which he speaks of? Are they a new gender that exist only in China, maybe some cloning experiment gone wrong?

Either way, if they can row a manual like some Women I know, then the DCT would be obsolete....

Need to all Women and these "Other types" too if they buy the M2
      04-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #73
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT
Quote:
Now's the chance for the Social Justice Warriors of bimmerpost to identify who yourselves are, and go on your beloved witch hunts

Well, I know what a Women is, but what are these, "other types" which he speaks of? Are they a new gender that exist only in China, maybe some cloning experiment gone wrong?

Either way, if they can row a manual like some Women I know, then the DCT would be obsolete....

I think he was saying "Autos are for pussies"
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:12 PM   #74
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT View Post

Great review.
Best line: "To blindly pursue a manual gearbox is a sickness. I hope I can enjoy this sickness."

Interesting that they may not get the 6 MT, but they do get the moonroof (at least on the tester).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #75
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
I can promise you that most sadly wont be able to tell the difference
Ha..agree!

If anybody wants a babe magnet, get a Sapphire Blue GT4 though... It was actually disturbing what some women did or said when I had it. I joked to my wife about it, and she was like, "That's nice sweetie...can you pick up some groceries?"

I was next to an AW M4 at a downtown Philly traffic light, and nobody gave any attention to that car as they were crossing the street since the GT4 was hogging it. I actually envied the driver of the M4 to be honest at that instance. Sapphire Blue GT4 gets too much attention... Oh well, I am going LBB on the M2. Haven't learned my lesson.

A guy in a 458 Italia followed me into a parking lot to ask me about the GT4... And I jokingly told him it is a Ferrari just like your car... or at least that's what everybody asks me, "Is that a Ferrari?"

Ahhh.... memories... But time to start some new memories with the M2

Last edited by csbear; 04-05-2016 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #76
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT
Quote:

I figured it out. He prefers a manual transmission so perhaps that term " other types " references anyone that would prefer DCT ...

There are MEN, WOMEN, and other types ...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #77
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I think these guys are over stating the capabilities of the M2. It is a capable car, but nothing in comparison to a 991 GTS. You have to remember that the 991 C2S ran a 7:37 lap time at the Nurburgring, while the M2 ran a 7:58 (http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/13/75...er-and-slower/). That wasn't even the 991 GTS, which actually has a wider track than the C2S.

Sorry, but Porsche is on a different level when it comes to performance.

6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust | Stoptech | Macht Schnell | AST
Instagram: surewin_e92m
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #78
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by surewin View Post
I think these guys are over stating the capabilities of the M2. It is a capable car, but nothing in comparison to a 991 GTS. You have to remember that the 991 C2S ran a 7:37 lap time at the Nurburgring, while the M2 ran a 7:58 (http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/13/75...er-and-slower/). That wasn't even the 991 GTS, which actually has a wider track than the C2S.

Sorry, but Porsche is on a different level when it comes to performance.

I agree with your statement about the Nordschleife laptimes. But that Chinese track and for example Hockenheim Short are tracks at which the M2 etc can come pretty close to 'Porsche'(which is on a different level when it comes to performance, ever heard of a Macan Diesel, lol) ...or even be faster(some Cayman/Boxster versions)

No offence, but I hope you get my point, I get your point.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0