BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Pure750 N55 thread

11-21-2023, 05:03 PM   #89
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Just received my PURE750. For those who have done the work themselves (or otherwise I suppose), does it fit in from the bottom without lowering the front subframe/suspension? I am thinking I may separate the cold and hot sides in order to get it to fit without that extra work. To remove the stock turbo, I separated the sides as I diagnosed the issue I had. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      11-25-2023, 11:12 AM   #90
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Ended up separating the hot and cold side, putting the cold side in from the bottom, followed by the hot side from the bottom. Will then add the EWG and BOV/CBV. Returned the recirc BOV/CBV for the daul valve, so awaiting for that to arrive next.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 12:56 PM   #91
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Ended up separating the hot and cold side, putting the cold side in from the bottom, followed by the hot side from the bottom. Will then add the EWG and BOV/CBV. Returned the recirc BOV/CBV for the daul valve, so awaiting for that to arrive next.
How much power are you targeting with this for track work?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 06:29 PM   #92
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
How much power are you targeting with this for track work?
Short answer: I am not targeting a number. I will just tune it to get as much as I can for safe track use.

Long answer: There is always a limiting component that can be eliminated (for the next limiting component) with enough money. I've spent a bit more money than I have wanted to already. I am not targeting a horsepower and/or torque number. What I am aiming to do is not make the turbo the limiting factor while, at the same time, not have the turbo introduce a lot of lag. Looking at my data, I think I keep the rev's up high enough on the track where this shouldn't be an issue for me. I ease into the throttle at/after the apex fairly well, so the boost should be ready for me as I apply the throttle - it shouldn't have to build from nothing. I'll be the first to know if this is true with the PURE750.

I believe my next limiting factor will be the Dorsch stage 1 pump (not even 1.5) followed by my LPFP. But before those upgrades, I may find myself replacing a clutch, upgrading the rear diff bushings, upgrading the stock springs/dampers, and upgrading the suspension to be gully adjustable. This turbo upgrade came into my life when I didn't want it to.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 01:16 PM   #93
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

looking forward to your updates M2guru
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 07:09 PM   #94
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbrown View Post
looking forward to your updates M2guru
Thanks for your interest. It'll be a few months before I get it on the road unfortunately - I live in MN and don't drive the car in the winter. So I'll be installing it, making sure nothing is leaking, trying to decide on a tuner (I'd rather it not be remote I think), and then waiting for decent weather to test drive and/or do the tuning. Thinking sometime in March. :-(

I did decide to swap the TurboSmart recirc BOV for the dual port BOV - which is supposed to arrive Saturday. Then I'll begin the reassembly processes in my spare time - I think I have all the parts I need.
Appreciate 1
neonbrown274.50
      11-30-2023, 08:57 PM   #95
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Update. S63 injectors, dorche liftkit and stage 3 hpfp are in route. So I'll be able to run straight e85 when I want. The fuel system and new 3.5" exhaust should be on in the next week or so. The shop(StageFP) doing the work does full builds and has a dyno. Hopefully I can share a 93, e40, and e85 numbers for ya'll. Will be a flex fuel tune...Imagine a new clutch will needed eventually. Not chasing max power, but shooting for 600+ and great drivability.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:21 PM   #96
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Short answer: I am not targeting a number. I will just tune it to get as much as I can for safe track use.

Long answer: There is always a limiting component that can be eliminated (for the next limiting component) with enough money. I've spent a bit more money than I have wanted to already. I am not targeting a horsepower and/or torque number. What I am aiming to do is not make the turbo the limiting factor while, at the same time, not have the turbo introduce a lot of lag. Looking at my data, I think I keep the rev's up high enough on the track where this shouldn't be an issue for me. I ease into the throttle at/after the apex fairly well, so the boost should be ready for me as I apply the throttle - it shouldn't have to build from nothing. I'll be the first to know if this is true with the PURE750.

I believe my next limiting factor will be the Dorsch stage 1 pump (not even 1.5) followed by my LPFP. But before those upgrades, I may find myself replacing a clutch, upgrading the rear diff bushings, upgrading the stock springs/dampers, and upgrading the suspension to be gully adjustable. This turbo upgrade came into my life when I didn't want it to.
FYI. This turbo responds pretty well. Above 3k rpms it comes on strong. I'm at 20psi by 3700rpms when doing a long pull in 4th(MT). 2nd and 3rd gear pull really hard too. Once the turbo is warm its fine. I'd say if you're above 3500rpms while racing, you'll be in the powerband/have minimal lag.

Since you already have have the stage 1 hpfp. A walbro 535lpfp and liftkit could work really well for your setup. If you haven't already, I would get a catless DP and get the midpipe modified/opened up to full 3" at minimum where it meets the downpipe.
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      12-01-2023, 04:20 AM   #97
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
FYI. This turbo responds pretty well. Above 3k rpms it comes on strong. I'm at 20psi by 3700rpms when doing a long pull in 4th(MT). 2nd and 3rd gear pull really hard too. Once the turbo is warm its fine. I'd say if you're above 3500rpms while racing, you'll be in the powerband/have minimal lag.

Since you already have have the stage 1 hpfp. A walbro 535lpfp and liftkit could work really well for your setup. If you haven't already, I would get a catless DP and get the midpipe modified/opened up to full 3" at minimum where it meets the downpipe.
Thanks for confirming my expectations about the turbo and its lag. Also, thanks for your thoughts about fueling and exhaust. I have already spent more than I wanted to (by thousands) so I am not likely to do much more than put it back together and see where I am at. Though, I am going to do the downpipe since 95% of this car's work is on the track. If the midpipe looks ugly, I'll probably do that too.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 07:24 AM   #98
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for confirming my expectations about the turbo and its lag. Also, thanks for your thoughts about fueling and exhaust. I have already spent more than I wanted to (by thousands) so I am not likely to do much more than put it back together and see where I am at. Though, I am going to do the downpipe since 95% of this car's work is on the track. If the midpipe looks ugly, I'll probably do that too.
No problem. The main reason you'd want to fix that midpipe and downpipe is it will reduce lag and wdgc.I dont think it would be that much to correct vs doing a full exhaust..AmuroRay posted a pic of the restriction.https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1724885&page=8
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      12-01-2023, 12:53 PM   #99
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
No problem. The main reason you'd want to fix that midpipe and downpipe is it will reduce lag and wdgc.I dont think it would be that much to correct vs doing a full exhaust..AmuroRay posted a pic of the restriction.https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1724885&page=8
Did you have a VG30DETT or a VG30ET?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 05:14 PM   #100
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Did you have a VG30DETT or a VG30ET?
You referring to a Nissan Engine? Neither...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 07:36 PM   #101
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I have a small issue with the new BOV. As I install the PURE750, I am seeing that the Turbosmart VR9 appears to have a different wiring connector than stock connector (and different than the Turbosmart VR11). Wondering if the VR9 fits the PURE750 but not the stock connector and I'll have to do some wiring. Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 07:46 PM   #102
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have a small issue with the new BOV. As I install the PURE750, I am seeing that the Turbosmart VR9 appears to have a different wiring connector than stock connector (and different than the Turbosmart VR11). Wondering if the VR9 fits the PURE750 but not the stock connector and I'll have to do some wiring. Anyone else experience this?
think you may have the wrong version. Mine was the vr11 and had no issue.

Two options; install block off plate and use chargepipe mounted blow off valve.
OR get the other version.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 04:16 AM   #103
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
think you may have the wrong version. Mine was the vr11 and had no issue.

Two options; install block off plate and use chargepipe mounted blow off valve.
OR get the other version.
Thanks. Guess I shouldn't have trusted the vendor's website.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:20 AM   #104
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Guess I shouldn't have trusted the vendor's website.
sometimes it be like that…I had my whole front end apart trying to install a “direct fit/drop in” race intercooler…Eventually the vendor and supplier confirmed that they never tested in on an m2…but said it would fit. Spent like 5+hrs thinking it was us..But got full refund.

If you can return it…i would look into the block off plate and top mounted bov..easier to service in the future
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 11:57 AM   #105
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
sometimes it be like that…I had my whole front end apart trying to install a “direct fit/drop in” race intercooler…Eventually the vendor and supplier confirmed that they never tested in on an m2…but said it would fit. Spent like 5+hrs thinking it was us..But got full refund.

If you can return it…i would look into the block off plate and top mounted bov..easier to service in the future
LOL, they do not fit M2s. You need a M235i brace or to cut yours - Feel bad you had to go through that.

But with the Diverter, any disadvantage to routing it later - throttle response perhaps? It sounds like more work to get a block off and have a new BOV made for that specific application.
      12-07-2023, 12:57 PM   #106
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 OG

Quote:

Is there a specific block off plate that fits these turbos ?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:34 PM   #107
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
Is there a specific block off plate that fits these turbos ?
https://www.turbosmart.com/product/b...turbochargers/
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2023, 05:35 PM   #108
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

Ugh - sorry for your pain, too!
Appreciate 1
VGSON208.50
      12-07-2023, 06:53 PM   #109
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
LOL, they do not fit M2s. You need a M235i brace or to cut yours - Feel bad you had to go through that.

But with the Diverter, any disadvantage to routing it later - throttle response perhaps? It sounds like more work to get a block off and have a new BOV made for that specific application.
Yeah, after doing research we found out about the m235 brace or trimming for the intercooler. Then showed the vendor and they updated their fitment data.

Disadvantage? Just a little more work and $$....You will have to get a vband welded to the chargepipe for the standard BOV and a few extra items to make it function. Its not as simple/pnp as the Turbosmart DV. But being on top above the motor makes it easier to diagnose/test/work on in the future. IF you read the directions in this product's pdf you will get an idea of whats involved. https://www.forgemotorsport.com/Blow...uct--1358.html
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 06:50 PM   #110
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
VGSON Did you go with the Pure silicon intake pipe for your 750?
Appreciate 0