BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Lost CarPlay with iOS 15 update

10-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #23
Tupps11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

I suspect the reset of the network settings wasn't what did it, only coincidental. I probably only needed to reboot the iPhone and iDrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f87CSdrifterential View Post
This network reset is what I was talking about. If you didn't lose your WiFi passwords it wasn't the same one.

Thanks guys. Resetting all iPhone settings did indeed set everything back to default and i lost my wifi passwords as a result. It just didn't fix the issue.

Seriously considering disconnecting the car battery as a last resort.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #24
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I assume the dealer hasn't been any help?

I'm trying to find a way to connect to the car and my radar detector and dash cam at the same time. I have zero issues in my Tacoma, but the Bluetooth seems to get pretty picky in the M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #25
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Backup the phone do a full factory reset and don't restore the backup. Test pairing.

If pairing works, restore back an retest

If pairing doesn't work put the phone into DFU mode which should reflash the firmware in the phone. Test without backup then restore.
      10-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #26
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I am guessing it 's a BMW issue rather than an Apple issue, so I'm not sure I would put myself through all that pain. DFU mode, at least. The reset idea is not bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:09 AM   #27
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
I am guessing it 's a BMW issue rather than an Apple issue, so I'm not sure I would put myself through all that pain. DFU mode, at least. The reset idea is not bad.
I get it and not related but I had a recent issue with my mums iPhone whereby the cellular profile would not apply properly and she couldn't make or receive calls. A factory reset didn't fix it and I had to do the DFU restore method and after that it worked.
      10-22-2021, 07:13 AM   #28
Tupps11
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Its definitely not a car issue. I tried my wife's iPhone 12 pro which hasn't been updated to iOS 15 yet and it worked perfectly.

Never tried DFU mode before. Sounds a bit intimidating
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #29
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupps11 View Post
Its definitely not a car issue. I tried my wife's iPhone 12 pro which hasn't been updated to iOS 15 yet and it worked perfectly.

Never tried DFU mode before. Sounds a bit intimidating
My iPhone XS Max worked fine after updating with iOS 15 with the car and so does my 13 Pro Max. You could just try a full wipe of the phone and set it up fresh.

I'm not saying the car is broken, but I bet if you take this phone to a MB with Carplay or whatever it'll work.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #30
Tupps11
Enlisted Member
Rep

FINALLY got it sorted!!!

I went with the DFU Mode and restored the phone including the firmware.

I tried pairing the phone and was shocked that it didn't work.

Until i realized that the wifi on my phone is not connecting automatically to the car's CarPlay wifi.

I then manually selected the BMW wifi in my car from the phones drop down (wifi) list of available networks. Immediately after, i tried pairing again and voila! Finally worked.

Something i did notice however is that i have to manually select the wifi every time i get in the car. Even stranger is the fact that the wifi signal is very weak compared to before.

These issues could have something to do with the iOS15 software which clearly has some connectivity bugs.

I hope this helps anyone else facing the same problem. Thanks again everyone for your inputs and advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #31
iRasF87
Private
Rep
Drives: MG_'17Ⓜ2

Not sure if mine was the same issue you're experiencing; but I first had to remove iPhone (iOS15.0.2) from iDrive completely (as bluetooth and or CarPlay device). I'll would get your error if I tried to re-establish iPhone immediately so I waited.. until next morning before I tried to re-establish and set up iPhone as CarPlay device. It worked as expected then.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #32
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I have wired CarPlay in my VW and it works great. I find the wireless in iDrive 6 to be a complete PITA to use, far more trouble than the "convenience" of being wireless. Just as well, I prefer to use native iDrive anyways, works just fine for all my needs. In my VW I do use CarPlay occasionally because I like the navigation features over my native VW stuff.