BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MHD vs BM3

03-11-2024, 10:03 PM   #23
jayee88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (DCT) - Sunset Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
BM3 customers asked for wifi adapter password encryption, BM3 gave it to us. From what I saw on facebook when people asked for wifi adapter encryption MHD said that it wasn't needed.
I was one of those people asking MHD about WiFi adapter encryption and the users/devs in the group basically scoffed at me and couldn't understand why I wouldn't want my OBD port open to the world.

They basically said:
  • It's too much trouble to add it because users are stupid and would lock themselves out creating tickets they don't want to support
  • It's secure enough because the dongle will power down after the car is turned off
  • Random people connecting to it won't be able to access any data unless requests specific data
  • If you let someone stalk you with your car on you have bigger concerns to worry about
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      03-11-2024, 11:58 PM   #24
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayee88 View Post
I was one of those people asking MHD about WiFi adapter encryption and the users/devs in the group basically scoffed at me and couldn't understand why I wouldn't want my OBD port open to the world.

They basically said:
  • It's too much trouble to add it because users are stupid and would lock themselves out creating tickets they don't want to support
  • It's secure enough because the dongle will power down after the car is turned off
  • Random people connecting to it won't be able to access any data unless requests specific data
  • If you let someone stalk you with your car on you have bigger concerns to worry about
LOL I feel you, because I felt the same thing from MHD when I requested new features from them. IMO I feel that the MHD dev team felt like they were superior to the end user, like they knew what was best, and it was their way or the high way - so to speak. For example back when I was an MHD user, I asked for fixing the lag between shifts, and they told me no need for that because they were coming up with something "better" than BM3, and that was no lift shift. Yet they failed to realize that no lift shift isn't remotely applicable for track use or street use, that is a drag racing feature... Well that's what made me leave MHD, I got tired of that attitude of "I know whats best you don't", with BM3 it's the opposite, you ask, they consider your request, and if it is worth it they will implement it. With bm3's wifi adapter, it originally came with a preset password and ssid. I talked to Dzenan while I was writing my review and asked for custom SSID and password, explained why and he agreed and made it happen. Then he also made it so that the preset password could easily be reset incase you forgot it, again super nice feature and didn't whine about the support it would take to help customers - that's because BM3 actually invested alot of money into creating a very robust support infrastructure, and hired alot of people to operate it as well.

Anyways I disagree with MHD's analysis:

1) In terms of support, they should improve their infrastructure to match the competition. You don't see BM3, ecutek, cobb (and all the big companies) cry about too many questions. Their focus isn't on what features should be make and can we support it, it's only about creating good products and supporting it no matter what.

2) Even if the adapter powers off when it's not inuse, what happens when the car is in accessory mode? What if you're in the parking lot or at a car meet and the car is in accessory mode so you can show it off? What happens if a trouble maker connects to the adapter and executes "code default" on ESYS, that'll turn your car into a brick righ then and there. Something MHD isn't even considering. If you're at a car meet, specifically a bmw one, there are bound to be people that know what esys and ista are.

3) Otherwise I don't agree with any of the points mhd made, like I said it feels like they have the atitude of "I know best".
jayee88102.50
      03-18-2024, 04:03 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2090596

Rev 2 board and V2 software is announced now, bm3 is using a flex ray integration method for interacting with the dme. This should be light years ahead of traditional canbus boards because of the higher throughput and way better data transfer reliability, so this should idealy blow away motiv reflex and any other canbus boards on the market.

I think this is the only flex ray integration board on the market too.

So yeah like I said before, this is why I think bm3 is on the trajectory to being the best. Hardware made in house to complement software that was also made in house, for a specific platform (bmw). This gets you the best hardware, and the best integration for the car. Vs. hardware that was made to work with every platform, which you can't expect to be perfectly dialed in for bmw.
      03-18-2024, 07:50 PM   #26
Sungillest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2 ZL9 |Macan 2.9TT

Quote:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2090596

Rev 2 board and V2 software is announced now, bm3 is using a flex ray integration method for interacting with the dme. This should be light years ahead of traditional canbus boards because of the higher throughput and way better data transfer reliability, so this should idealy blow away motiv reflex and any other canbus boards on the market.

I think this is the only flex ray integration board on the market too.

So yeah like I said before, this is why I think bm3 is on the trajectory to being the best. Hardware made in house to complement software that was also made in house, for a specific platform (bmw). This gets you the best hardware, and the best integration for the car. Vs. hardware that was made to work with every platform, which you can't expect to be perfectly dialed in for bmw.
Im running ots stage1 (map version 6.0) i am having this weird issue where rpm goes up 3-400 rpm when “upshifting” i dont have any boost leak but i think its a bug in version 6.0. Revert back to stock map and no rev hanging/ “rev matching” on the up shift.. im 6spds manual
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:22 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungillest View Post
Im running ots stage1 (map version 6.0) i am having this weird issue where rpm goes up 3-400 rpm when “upshifting” i dont have any boost leak but i think its a bug in version 6.0. Revert back to stock map and no rev hanging/ “rev matching” on the up shift.. im 6spds manual
You should email bm3 about that.
      03-20-2024, 11:20 AM   #28
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
You should email bm3 about that.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 11:47 PM   #29
F87 Mew2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Hey guys, just recently got a 2019 M2 Comp. Doing some research into this BM3 DIY flash and reading about unlocking DMEs? Will I be able to do that myself? In other words, if I just purchase the BM3, will I be able to do a stage 1 tune myself or would there be additional steps? You all seem very knowledgeable on this topic so hopefully you can help! I’m located in Canada, not sure if region matters?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 11:59 PM   #30
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 Mew2 View Post
Hey guys, just recently got a 2019 M2 Comp. Doing some research into this BM3 DIY flash and reading about unlocking DMEs? Will I be able to do that myself? In other words, if I just purchase the BM3, will I be able to do a stage 1 tune myself or would there be additional steps? You all seem very knowledgeable on this topic so hopefully you can help! I’m located in Canada, not sure if region matters?

Thanks!
Hey! congratulations on the purchase!

Ok here are some details:

1) I think your m2 DME might be locked, but you can double check by downloading BM3 for free and connecting to your car and seeing if the DME is locked or not.

2) If you DME is locked and BM3 cannot unlock it for you, then you will not be able to unlock it yourself. You will need to have it unlocked, and to do so you have a few options:

a) take it in to a local shop that deals with BM3 and have them unlock it for you - this will cost you money.

b) Since you are located in Toronto, you might be able take it to BM3 themselves (email them and ask if they will be open to doing this for you) and have them unlock it for you.

c) Remove the DME yourself, and mail it to BM3 - they told me that they will unlock it for you at no cost (given you have purchased BM3) and ship it back. You will likely be responsible for the 1 way shipping cost, and I think BM3 will pay return costs (but don't quote me on this). This is the most cost effective method if you can remove the DME yourself.
      Yesterday, 12:14 AM   #31
F87 Mew2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Hey! congratulations on the purchase!

Ok here are some details:

1) I think your m2 DME might be locked, but you can double check by downloading BM3 for free and connecting to your car and seeing if the DME is locked or not.

2) If you DME is locked and BM3 cannot unlock it for you, then you will not be able to unlock it yourself. You will need to have it unlocked, and to do so you have a few options:

a) take it in to a local shop that deals with BM3 and have them unlock it for you - this will cost you money.

b) Since you are located in Toronto, you might be able take it to BM3 themselves (email them and ask if they will be open to doing this for you) and have them unlock it for you.

c) Remove the DME yourself, and mail it to BM3 - they told me that they will unlock it for you at no cost (given you have purchased BM3) and ship it back. You will likely be responsible for the 1 way shipping cost, and I think BM3 will pay return costs (but don't quote me on this). This is the most cost effective method if you can remove the DME yourself.
Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll give those options a shot.

On a slightly different note. How’s reliability with a stage 1 tune on M2Cs? Should I be worried about the crank hub slipping on a conservative stage 1?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:28 AM   #32
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 Mew2 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll give those options a shot.

On a slightly different note. How’s reliability with a stage 1 tune on M2Cs? Should I be worried about the crank hub slipping on a conservative stage 1?
No worries.

Honestly idk, spun crank hubs can occur even bone stock. Increasing HP won't help, so imo you should always be prepared to do that service at any time with the s55 engine.