BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Airbag Recall Updates

05-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #265
lawsonsdl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp and 2005 e46 cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
BMWCompact,

What was the build date on your car? Do you know when it arrived at the VPC?

June 10th is a Monday, so presumably the car would need to arrive at the Performance Center on the 7th or earlier to be prepped and ready to be driven on Monday morning.

There a few variables we don't know:
-How many affected cars are at each VPC
-The order the cars are being worked on (FIFO, ED, Performance Center, etc.)
-How many techs are at each VPC

In this case, the car has to be fixed at the VPC at some point after it arrives (and presumably, there are sold cars waiting that are ahead in line), then has to be shipped to the Performance Center and prepped.

BMW is probably safer setting expectations that the car won't be ready if the schedule is tight. Based on what we know and depending when the car was scheduled to hit the VPC, the schedule might have been tight to begin with.
It was a week 14 build with production completed April 10th. Arrived in Baltimore on May 6th via the Apollon Highway car carrier. Sit sitting in Baltimore.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #266
jwan5998
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 440I

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonsdl View Post
It was a week 14 build with production completed April 10th. Arrived in Baltimore on May 6th via the Apollon Highway car carrier. Sit sitting in Baltimore.
They just won’t be able to give out an estimate date, will they?
I think that is what really frustrates ppl
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #267
BMWCompact
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
BMWCompact,

June 10th is a Monday, so presumably the car would need to arrive at the Performance Center on the 7th or earlier to be prepped and ready to be driven on Monday morning.

In this case, the car has to be fixed at the VPC at some point after it arrives (and presumably, there are sold cars waiting that are ahead in line), then has to be shipped to the Performance Center and prepped.

BMW is probably safer setting expectations that the car won't be ready if the schedule is tight. Based on what we know and depending when the car was scheduled to hit the VPC, the schedule might have been tight to begin with.
My M2C completed production on April 11, and arrived at the port in Bremerhaven on April 16. Arrived in Baltimore on May 5 aboard the Apollon Highway, arrived Brunswick GA on May 9, then arrived Charleston May 10. From Charleston, assuming it was trucked up to the VPC, which, for this area, is contained within BMW Manufacturing in Greenville/Spartanburg. It could still be in port, but I assume it's at the VPC awaiting parts for the recall. Once completed, it's a few minutes by carrier over to the Performance Center.

Had all gone according to plan, it would have been approximately 30 days between arriving port of Charleston on May 10 and my Performance Center delivery on June 10.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #268
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo View Post
It is the total lack of clear communication from the BMW mothership that frustrated me the most. Had they come out and said “knee airbag recall for already sold vehicles at the dealerships will be resolved by such and such date”, I would have waited more patiently.
It's a fair request as a customer but BMW is no way in the business to overpromise and under deliver. If this had to do directly with manufacturing and production, I am sure BMW would be able to provide some information but when you're relying on a 3rd party manufacturer for parts, you just can't give promises you have no way controlling and fulfilling. If BMW said cars will be fitted with the updated parts by May 27th and nothing happened, how much more pissed would you be given the situation?

Everyone who is waiting has every right to be frustrated but from what I've read and hearing, BMW is managing expectations as well as they can - that is parts are coming when they're available sometime at the end of May. Anything more is fake promises and fluff to keep the customer happy today and to worry about the fallout later.
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #269
lawsonsdl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp and 2005 e46 cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
Quote:
BMWCompact,

My M2C completed production on April 11, and arrived at the port in Bremerhaven on April 16. Arrived in Baltimore on May 5 aboard the Apollon Highway, arrived Brunswick GA on May 9, then arrived Charleston May 10. From Charleston, assuming it was trucked up to the VPC, which, for this area, is contained within BMW Manufacturing in Greenville/Spartanburg. It could still be in port, but I assume it's at the VPC awaiting parts for the recall. Once completed, it's a few minutes by carrier over to the Performance Center.

Had all gone according to plan, it would have been approximately 30 days between arriving port of Charleston on May 10 and my Performance Center delivery on June 10.
BMWCompact. It appears you and I were on the same ship to Baltimore. And have far more status and location info than I have. So my car might be sitting in Charleston right now with yours. Learn something new everyday.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #270
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

Either the May 27th date was inaccurate, or parts are trickling in, or the number of affected cars is far greater than reported. We have cars that have been sitting at the VPC for weeks it seems. It seems that last week, there was some level of confidence that parts would arrive during the week of the 27th and cars would start shipping out afterward.

Unless BMW is proactively cancelling Performance Center pickups, it seems that they don't expect these cars to be fixed/shipped out before the 10th-12th of June.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #271
jwan5998
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
It's a fair request as a customer but BMW is no way in the business to overpromise and under deliver. If this had to do directly with manufacturing and production, I am sure BMW would be able to provide some information but when you're relying on a 3rd party manufacturer for parts, you just can't give promises you have no way controlling and fulfilling. If BMW said cars will be fitted with the updated parts by May 27th and nothing happened, how much more pissed would you be given the situation?

Everyone who is waiting has every right to be frustrated but from what I've read and hearing, BMW is managing expectations as well as they can - that is parts are coming when they're available sometime at the end of May. Anything more is fake promises and fluff to keep the customer happy today and to worry about the fallout later.

The thing is that.... my dealer can’t even confirm the “end of May”
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #272
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I think they could be more transparent at this point:
-The number of affected cars is known, around 500 according to the bulletin which may or may not be accurate
-By now they should have delivery estimates from the supplier, 500 isn't a massive number
-Depending where the cars are located (VPC, dealer, etc.), they should know how many technicians are available and when a particular car might be ready

The fact that early/mid-June appointments are being cancelled in worrisome.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #273
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The number of affected cars is known, around 500 according to the bulletin which may or may not be accurate
I have no doubt that BMWAG/BMW North America/BMW Canada know how many VINs are affected. The dealership is only informed on how many VINs from their order bank are affected.

Quote:
By now they should have delivery estimates from the supplier, 500 isn't a massive number
This I cannot speak on. Who knows if the supplier isn't having issues of their own? 500 may just be BMW North America VINs. Cannot say if BMW Canada VIN's are included and we do not know if RoW is affected. But again, this is why there is a lack of information. Any information that could be relayed is solely dependent on whether or not the supplier can update BMW with parts and information, but here we are with BMW notifying that parts will be shipped end of May.

Quote:
Depending where the cars are located (VPC, dealer, etc.), they should know how many technicians are available and when a particular car might be ready
Parts have not been shipped yet so we have no reason to believe that dealership/technicians would be overwhelmed. When stop recalls are involved and VINs are already sold, they take priority so giving an ETA is not an issue...if they are able to know exactly when parts are being supplied.

If I were a customer waiting my car to be delivered, the only information I want to know is when are parts coming and when can I expect my vehicle to be delivered. From this thread, none of that information is available yet.
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #274
AFLRO
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F87 M2C, G12 750i

Garage List
2020 BMW 750i xDrive  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLRO View Post
Quote:
FWIW mine is 18 week '19 build. Assembly Complete on 2 May. Released to Distribution/Transportation on 10 May. Planning to take delivery next week.

Military sales, US Spec, being delivered to a German dealership, and registering in Germany. Not sure if mine is different in any way, but I did notice that I can't add the VIN to MyBMW on bmwusa.com, but could add on bmw.de.
Scratch that. Was just notified that mine is part of this recall. Wasn't given an ETA or anything. Hoping to find something out tomorrow.
Update. The 27 May date might have some validity to it. Got this from my dealer in Germany today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #275
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The big question I have is if the 27th is relatively accurate and sold cars are being prioritized ... then why are Perf. Center deliveries scheduled a week or two later being canceled?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #276
jwan5998
Private
Rep

Quote:
Update. The 27 May date might have some validity to it. Got this from my dealer in Germany today.
Where r u picking up your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #277
mrdatalife
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

According to my CA, my car, which finished production after May 1st, had/has no stop sale, was in QC forever and now has sat in "STATUS: Awaiting carrier assignment" for almost 1.5 weeks. Maybe normal, not sure, but according to timelines others have posted, this seems long for this stage?

Good luck to others waiting.
Appreciate 1
TProfit81.50
      05-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #278
AFLRO
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F87 M2C, G12 750i

Garage List
2020 BMW 750i xDrive  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwan5998 View Post
Quote:
Where r u picking up your car?
Euler BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #279
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

Just want to add another datapoint to this thread. Picked up my M2C at the Welt today and saw another one being delivered before mine. The car was a production week 18 vehicle and completed assembly on April 30th. If I plug in my VIN number on the BMW recall website, it says that it is part of the recall, but no one said a thing at the Welt today and I was able to pickup my car.
2015 Mercedes E63 S AMG
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #280
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata

I just got off the phone with my dealer - Fields BMW - and was told they have not heard anything about May 27th, and it's unlikely because that's a holiday.

They also redirected me around again when I asked about canceling my order. They're certainly not going to do anything since I've paid for if
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #281
BMWCompact
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think they could be more transparent at this point:
-The number of affected cars is known, around 500 according to the bulletin which may or may not be accurate
-By now they should have delivery estimates from the supplier, 500 isn't a massive number
-Depending where the cars are located (VPC, dealer, etc.), they should know how many technicians are available and when a particular car might be ready

The fact that early/mid-June appointments are being cancelled in worrisome.
I don't know if this count is accurate .... however this document suggests over 11k BMWs impacted by the recall action ....

https://cdn.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1557170587
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #282
BMWCompact
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonsdl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
BMWCompact,

BMWCompact. It appears you and I were on the same ship to Baltimore. And have far more status and location info than I have. So my car might be sitting in Charleston right now with yours. Learn something new everyday.
I was tracking the Apollon Highway on VesselFinder - great site!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #283
Autostrada66
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

My dealer was able to give me (on paper from within BMW) the estimated date my car will be ready and shipped from the VPC. My car was affected and has been at the VPC for two weeks. I think too many people are drumming uo theories on here in stead of giving it time. The cars will be fixed in the next two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #284
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know if this count is accurate .... however this document suggests over 11k BMWs impacted by the recall action ....

https://cdn.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1557170587
So it's a lot greater than originally stated for U.S. based cars.

Could be the reason why PDC deliveries are being cancelled for some vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #285
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So it's a lot greater than originally stated for U.S. based cars.

Could be the reason why PDC deliveries are being cancelled for some vehicles.
The memo with the supposed May 27th parts date (in this thread) cuts that number down quite a bit to around 500 cars. Unfortunately, it’s mostly 2-series cars
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #286
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The memo with the supposed May 27th parts date (in this thread) cuts that number down quite a bit to around 500 cars. Unfortunately, it’s mostly 2-series cars
I'm taking that document with a huge grain of salt and would rather go by BMW bulletins. Also, I just found out that Canada as a whole has about 500 VIN's affected so it's hard to believe that that total affected VINs for 340 U.S.-based dealerships equals that of the VIN's Canada-wide.
Appreciate 0