BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Hyundai launches N sub-brand to take on BMW M

08-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #243
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
This is good for BMW. Folks who can't afford BMW M, such as young people, will buy Hyundai N (e.g., instead of Civic Si, WRX/STI, etc.). Then, when they can afford it, they will move up to BMW M.

I don't understand why people on the forum get so derisive about stuff like this. Hyundai has made major strides since they first entered the North American car market and they are now starting to branch out into the niche segments, such as luxury and performance. Their emphasis is on providing good value for the money. Not everyone can afford a BMW or Mercedes and these are the folks that get a Hyundai. When they can afford one though, the folks that bought a Hyundai may very well step up to a BMW. Especially with BMW M's former chief engineer at Hyundai, I expect their N cars will make great stepping stones for many people to eventually own an M car.
Of course people are offended, to some it makes it seem like they have made a bad decision for buying the M.

To others it just means that they can save money to have the same amount of fun.

To me it means that I can actually not break the bank to have a stock track ready vehicle (if it is as good as they say it will be).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #244
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
Stupid as it may be, it is true. I don't know what field you are working in, but people here are superficial. And don't get your panty up in a bunch I'm saying this from what I observe, it is not my personal opinion so no need to tell me that my coments are stupid. I work in finance and this is what I see, I see 24-25 years old that "made" it and spend 75% of their paycheck on a car to impress their clients and it works. Would you trust a hedge fund manager that drives a Hyundai Genesis or one that pulls up in an Aston Martin Rapide ? Have you see a successful hedge fund manager or a successful PE VP pull up in a Honda Civic ? I haven't.
I work in IT (SAP) Consulting where the head project guys are making $500k and more. That being said I never said your comment was stupid , I meant to portray the said mentality suggested is stupid.

I point out that it is a philosophy based exactly on what you just mentioned (fause).

Successful people know 9 times out of 10 that these people who are car rich (or car broke) are all talk and no show.

That being said I simply meant to say that if your in a gathering for successful people (as suggested in your example) and the talk turns to cars I would not be embarrassed in that situation for the simple fact that if I am invited to the event that is already based on wealthy successful people attending then I by default am successful and somewhat wealthy.

If you are an SAP Consultant elaborate job title and you turn to me and say that you drive a 1992 Honda civic, I by no means assume you are broke. Most likely this person is cheap, frugal, or not into cars...
Appreciate 3
      08-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #245
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
to be fair, they will have a long way to catch up to BMW's ///M, but this is a good sign for a relatively new automobile manufacturer to push their engineering and design for a better built car. Eventually it will funnel down to day to day Hyundais in decades. Not just cheap sheet metal with four wheels.
      08-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #246
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKapeesh View Post
I work in IT (SAP) Consulting where the head project guys are making $500k and more. That being said I never said your comment was stupid , I meant to portray the said mentality suggested is stupid.

I point out that it is a philosophy based exactly on what you just mentioned (fause).

Successful people know 9 times out of 10 that these people who are car rich (or car broke) are all talk and no show.

That being said I simply meant to say that if your in a gathering for successful people (as suggested in your example) and the talk turns to cars I would not be embarrassed in that situation for the simple fact that if I am invited to the event that is already based on wealthy successful people attending then I by default am successful and somewhat wealthy.

If you are an SAP Consultant elaborate job title and you turn to me and say that you drive a 1992 Honda civic, I by no means assume you are broke. Most likely this person is cheap, frugal, or not into cars...
I agree with you, and on a side note I can't use SAP. I worked in a company that utilized it and I cried every time I come home. Kudos to you for being able to work with something that complicated

The philosophy is stupid and people are stupid. They can't appreciate a fun car for a budget value. Too many people buy for the brands and not the performance.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #247
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
to be fair, they will have a long way to catch up to BMW's ///M, but this is a good sign for a relatively new automobile manufacturer to push their engineering and design for a better built car. Eventually it will funnel down to day to day Hyundais in decades. Not just cheap sheet metal with four wheels.
Everyone has to start somewhere, even our coveted ///M didn't start on the pedestal. And if this means cheaper track cars, then I'm all for it. I rather not take a DD that I spend a lot of money on to take to the track and possibly break it for being a novice.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #248
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

Ugh!!! Damn SAP!! Working on an issue right now. One of my engineers can't logon to any of the systems. We have version 730, logon pad opens fine but when you select a system SAP automatically closes out. Tried it on my local windows profile (on his laptop) same issue. Already did a full uninstall (made sure all reg keys were wiped too) and reinstall but the wax off wax on process didn't do shit. Fuck it I'll send it up my SAP peoples to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #249
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Well well, the asian's are still playing copycat.
Very creative name also.
In reality, it's a damn shame.
Do the world really need a rip of from other brands name and with key design elements from the leaders in this business?
Why can't Hyundai come up with uniqe stuff on theyr own?
It's not only sad, it's just pathetic imo, Hyundai should be bigger and better than this.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #250
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

every car company rips one of the others off.

Why do you think all the new cars have similar type performance, have similar interiors, similar body lines....

But, tell me this isnt a nice looking car that Hyundai concepted just recently. In probably 10 years, Hyundai is going to have a luxury brand, just like toyota, honda, nissan, VW... and people wont be associated that brand with Hyundai. Same will go for their performance line. All that real car enthusiast care about is the performance of the car, not the logo like a lot of the "enthusiast" in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #251
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Long way depends on the direction. If that is to build a car like M5, then yes. But if that is to build a car like M2 (aka back to basics) then it could take less time. Think Toyota GT86, the only thing lacking is, is straight line performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Well well, the asian's are still playing copycat.
Very creative name also.
In reality, it's a damn shame.
Do the world really need a rip of from other brands name and with key design elements from the leaders in this business?
Why can't Hyundai come up with uniqe stuff on theyr own?
It's not only sad, it's just pathetic imo, Hyundai should be bigger and better than this.
Again I don't see where is there anything copied. Of course there might be some influence, but that is normal when the person behind N is the person that was behind M. It is also normal that Lexus has a huge grill, as the designer of this grill was the designer of the Audi singleframe grill. Get ready for xDrive-ization of M cars, as the person at M is the one who was behind Quattro.

The only thing Hyundai ripped BMW off, is former M CEO.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #252
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Ugh!!! Damn SAP!! Working on an issue right now. One of my engineers can't logon to any of the systems. We have version 730, logon pad opens fine but when you select a system SAP automatically closes out. Tried it on my local windows profile (on his laptop) same issue. Already did a full uninstall (made sure all reg keys were wiped too) and reinstall but the wax off wax on process didn't do shit. Fuck it I'll send it up my SAP peoples to figure out.
experience tells me this is a domain and SAP server issue I'm guessing
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #253
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
experience tells me this is a domain and SAP server issue I'm guessing
I don't know because I can connect to SAP(any system) from my laptop just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #254
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

As an ///M owner I say kudos to Hyundai and their "N." But that's so yesterday already. Bring on the "Oh!" ?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #255
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
Of course people are offended, to some it makes it seem like they have made a bad decision for buying the M.

To others it just means that they can save money to have the same amount of fun.

To me it means that I can actually not break the bank to have a stock track ready vehicle (if it is as good as they say it will be).
You know, some Precision Acoustic Speakers that retail for $100 are track ready and they claim to have 150 W. For the buyer, the guy next door who spend $20,000 for a pair of Focal is an idiot.
For a connoisseur though the things are different. They both have fun, based on their knowledge about the product. It's all about perception...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #256
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
You know, some Precision Acoustic Speakers that retail for $100 are track ready and they claim to have 150 W. For the buyer, the guy next door who spend $20,000 for a pair of Focal is an idiot.
For a connoisseur though the things are different. They both have fun, based on their knowledge about the product. It's all about perception...
bad analogy because there are a lot better speakers than Focals, for a much cheaper price. The Focals you just pay for the name.

Unless you were trying to prove a point about the Hyundai being on the same level, but is cheaper because it doesnt have a brand name attached to it. In that case, Bravo.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #257
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfraser View Post
N? Such a blatant ripoff. Is Kia going to come out with ANG next?
win
      08-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #258
Bushum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Again I don't see where is there anything copied.
You don't see how "N" is copying off "M"
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:42 PM   #259
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Isn't there F, S, E, Z, C, also. Build it, let them come I say!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 04:11 AM   #260
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Could not have said it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
This is good for BMW. Folks who can't afford BMW M, such as young people, will buy Hyundai N (e.g., instead of Civic Si, WRX/STI, etc.). Then, when they can afford it, they will move up to BMW M.

I don't understand why people on the forum get so derisive about stuff like this. Hyundai has made major strides since they first entered the North American car market and they are now starting to branch out into the niche segments, such as luxury and performance. Their emphasis is on providing good value for the money. Not everyone can afford a BMW or Mercedes and these are the folks that get a Hyundai. When they can afford one though, the folks that bought a Hyundai may very well step up to a BMW. Especially with BMW M's former chief engineer at Hyundai, I expect their N cars will make great stepping stones for many people to eventually own an M car.
Hyundai is a company on the move. They stared out as cheap cars then progressed to cheap reliable cars to quality cars at a good (best value). Now they want to be a top 3 player in every category including luxury and performance. Based on the resources they are putting into this goal who is to say they they won't be? Just look at what Samsung has achieved in less than 10 years in electronics and mobile.

It is crass that they have copied the M brand but if they end up building great cars in the process people will care so much.

This another wake up call for BMW; just because you started something does not mean you will end up being the top of your game forever.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 04:27 AM   #261
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
You know, some street legal track cars like Porsche Cayman GT4 sells for €90K. For the buyer, the guy next door who spent €440K for a Lexus LFA NBR Edition is an idiot. For a connoisseur though things are different. They both have fun, based on their knowledge about the product. It's all about perception...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushum View Post
You don't see how "N" is copying off "M"
Maybe in the same way BMW M copied Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #262
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I'm relatively new to the BMW brand but not to being a car enthusiast. I've been reading this thread and find myself in a bit of a bind.

I get that ///M cars are special, and have been more or less so across various years and models. In my case the Z4MC has several improvements over my Z4C that make it a better car for track duty, as well as a more satisfying car for those wanting a pure sporting drive. I was leaning more towards long weekend trips and the like and so consciously chose not to go with an ///M.

But do BMW ///M buyers really purchase them to have track ready vehicles? How many people actually take them to a track and drive them in anger when they get there? It has to be a tiny fraction of the total number of ///M buyers. I have to think that most ///M purchases are made for other reasons than being ready for hot laps at the drop of a hat.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #263
Bushum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

Maybe in the same way BMW M copied Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio?
I'm sorry, I don't know what that means. I know nothing about Alfa, we don't have them here. I simply mean it looks like they chose the next letter in the alphabet and called it a day. It just seems lazy. I have nothing against them trying to take part in the segment. The more options I have the better.

I just wish people would do their own thing. I think it is ridiculous that everyone copied Audi and now have LED running lights somewhere on the vehicle and/or a big open grill.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #264
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK427 View Post
N stands for Not M.
Technically, /\/ is an /\/\ with a leg missing.