BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Ask a Pro Detailer from Detailer's Domain

10-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #375
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have found a couple scratches on my rear windows, I have no idea how that happened but I can feel it with my fingers. Is there a way to remove them?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #376
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

is it on the inside or outside, if you can feel it with your fingernail it may be too deep
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #377
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
is it on the inside or outside, if you can feel it with your fingernail it may be too deep
Its on the outside of the rear quarter panel glass.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #378
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Nanolex SiFinish for wheels?

Your thoughts on using Nanolex wheel cleaner and then applying SiFinish coat to OE 788M wheels? Would it bond and help make wheel cleaning easier? I suspect not as good as ceramic coating but worthwhile if I already have these products?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #379
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Your thoughts on using Nanolex wheel cleaner and then applying SiFinish coat to OE 788M wheels? Would it bond and help make wheel cleaning easier? I suspect not as good as ceramic coating but worthwhile if I already have these products?
yes it will work but not as good as a ceramic coating. give it a go if you have if already.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #380
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

Hello! Just picked up my LCI M2 yesterday - I'm the second owner and it's in incredible condition, however the original owner hadn't cleaned / detailed the motor before sale. it's not filthy, but I'd like to clean it up.

Is steam cleaning still a thing? What's the best and safest way to clean the engine and engine bay? Thanks.

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #381
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
Hello! Just picked up my LCI M2 yesterday - I'm the second owner and it's in incredible condition, however the original owner hadn't cleaned / detailed the motor before sale. it's not filthy, but I'd like to clean it up.

Is steam cleaning still a thing? What's the best and safest way to clean the engine and engine bay? Thanks.
just make sure you avoid vital electronics/electrical/coilpacks and intake parts. here is an older video.

Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 11:16 PM   #382
leftcoastq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Hi guys,

I took my car to get ceramic coated/PPF'd and also left my painted reflectors to be ceramic coated. I may have been unclear with my request, but my detailer went ahead and also installed the painted reflectors.

Only problem is, it looks like some adhesive was left on, and the fitment is off. Do you think I could safely heat up the exterior of the reflector area with hairdryer/heat gun and reapply the reflectors, or will the heat ruin the PPF around the reflector area permanently?

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #383
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastq View Post
Hi guys,

I took my car to get ceramic coated/PPF'd and also left my painted reflectors to be ceramic coated. I may have been unclear with my request, but my detailer went ahead and also installed the painted reflectors.

Only problem is, it looks like some adhesive was left on, and the fitment is off. Do you think I could safely heat up the exterior of the reflector area with hairdryer/heat gun and reapply the reflectors, or will the heat ruin the PPF around the reflector area permanently?

Thank you!!
I would see if the shop will be willing to fix it for you, before you do anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #384
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
I would see if the shop will be willing to fix it for you, before you do anything.
What are your thoughts on the XPEL Sealant for their PPF Film? I recently had my full car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate Plus, and the shop gave me a bottle of their film sealant. Obviously having the car ceramic coated professionally would be the best option, but I'm not feeling like spending upwards of $1k to have it done after having the full car wrapped. Do you have any recommendations in terms of applying their film sealant, other than their instructions?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #385
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
What are your thoughts on the XPEL Sealant for their PPF Film? I recently had my full car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate Plus, and the shop gave me a bottle of their film sealant. Obviously having the car ceramic coated professionally would be the best option, but I'm not feeling like spending upwards of $1k to have it done after having the full car wrapped. Do you have any recommendations in terms of applying their film sealant, other than their instructions?

Thanks!
The xpel products were designed for their film, there are other brands and products out there to use if you like.

Some suggestions that work great

1. Fictech One - 1 year coating easy to use for the diy, literally spray on wipe off.

2. Fictech Car Gliss - last up to 3 months, you can use it after each wash

3. Nanolex Si Finish - silica based will last up to 6 months, easy to use mist a little buff off

4. Nanolex Si Splash, will last up to 5 washes, we use this in the shop and on our personal cars after our washes.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM162.50
      05-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #386
apgawlf9196
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4?

I’ve purchased Nanolex SiSplash from your store and have had good results with the “spray and rinse” application. However I saw a video in which SiSplash was applied via MF towel (the video was filmed in German, I believe so I could not understand).

Are there any benefits to application via MF towel over the spray and rinse method? And how should the product be applied when using MF towels? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #387
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Yes

The regular dry application will be more concentrate as well will save you product.

Please take a look at the full article we just put up

Nanolex SiSplash

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #388
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Please take a look at the full article we just put up

Nanolex SiSplash
How does this product compare with SONAX Spray & Seal? Pros/Cons of each?

I've been been really happy with SONAX Spray & Seal (based on your recommendation) for my non-ceramic coated cars (although it is easy to go through a bottle fast).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #389
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
How does this product compare with SONAX Spray & Seal? Pros/Cons of each?

I've been been really happy with SONAX Spray & Seal (based on your recommendation) for my non-ceramic coated cars (although it is easy to go through a bottle fast).
Sonax Spray and Seal is awesome, however

Beading - Sonax Spray and Seal
Versatility - Nanolex SiSplash
Ease of Use - Nanolex SiSplash you can use it wet or dry, and if it drips or runs is easier to remove
Slickness - Nanolex SiSplash
Price - Both are priced perfectly
Durability - about the same
Gloss - Nanolex SiSplash

You should definitely give the Nanolex a try, I believe if you like slick to the touch and gloss you will like the Nanolex more.

If you like beading etc, Sonax.
Appreciate 2
jkoral1016.00
      06-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #390
Aversion
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '16 Taco

I just purchased an M2 LCI one month ago. I absolutely love it and it looks to be in excellent shape. The car has a ceramic coating on the paint (not sure of brand) and it's super glossy, slick and beads like crazy. The dealership told me it was coated 18 months ago with a two year coating. The car has 3500 miles on it and was garaged most of the time so I figure it has some more life left in it.

I have two questions for you:

1) knowing that it has a coating but not knowing the brand, what would be a good product to boost or maintain the paint coating? I looked at Gyeon wet coat. Is that headed the right direction or would something else be better?

2) what is the best method to clean/protect the wheels while still on the car? I attached a picture of the buildup it looks like the previous owner hadn't cleaned the barrels very often. I was thinking a cleaner like Gyeon iron to clean them and then I wasn't for sure what to protect them with. I have contemplated the Gyeon rim coating but I don't have the best setup to pull the wheels off of the car.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #391
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Can you recommend products for my new black sapphire m2 competition. Just picked it up at the dealer and is has the typical new car swirls. I have a porter cable 6242 and 5 inch backing plate.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #392
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Can you recommend products for my new black sapphire m2 competition. Just picked it up at the dealer and is has the typical new car swirls. I have a porter cable 6242 and 5 inch backing plate.
This will be your best bet to take care of the swirls. Make sure you pair it with the proper pad. Work the product to the cleaned/clayed surface. Start slow with some pressure. Once the product has be spread to the surface, increase the polisher speed. Add more pressure to the machine and make sure you just move it about 1"/second. Don't forget to put a layer or 2 of protection once you've taken care of the swirls.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...nish-plus-3800

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #393
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aversion View Post
I just purchased an M2 LCI one month ago. I absolutely love it and it looks to be in excellent shape. The car has a ceramic coating on the paint (not sure of brand) and it's super glossy, slick and beads like crazy. The dealership told me it was coated 18 months ago with a two year coating. The car has 3500 miles on it and was garaged most of the time so I figure it has some more life left in it.

I have two questions for you:

1) knowing that it has a coating but not knowing the brand, what would be a good product to boost or maintain the paint coating? I looked at Gyeon wet coat. Is that headed the right direction or would something else be better?

2) what is the best method to clean/protect the wheels while still on the car? I attached a picture of the buildup it looks like the previous owner hadn't cleaned the barrels very often. I was thinking a cleaner like Gyeon iron to clean them and then I wasn't for sure what to protect them with. I have contemplated the Gyeon rim coating but I don't have the best setup to pull the wheels off of the car.

Thanks in advance!
#1 - I would use Nanolex SiSplash. I recently tried this and it worked great over my coated M2C. You can apply wet or dry. Very easy to wipe off as well.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...olex-si-splash

#2 - I would try soaking the wheels (while cool) with some Sonax. Let the product sit a little longer than normal especially in the barrels. Use the Wheel Woolie to agitate the dirt. Hose off after.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...mproved-230400

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...-kit-red-black

Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #394
dmf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT/BSM

Hi All

A fairly basic asked - any recommendations on a waterless detail ready-to-use spray that I can keep in the boot/toolbox? I have a full XPEL stealth (on a BSM) wrap + ceramic so no need for the spray to have wax/shine/gloss, just decent cleaning properties.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #395
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf View Post
Hi All

A fairly basic asked - any recommendations on a waterless detail ready-to-use spray that I can keep in the boot/toolbox? I have a full XPEL stealth (on a BSM) wrap + ceramic so no need for the spray to have wax/shine/gloss, just decent cleaning properties.

Thanks!
you can give these a try

WOWO Waterless Wash
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #396
leftcoastq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Is it possible to DIY ceramic coat a satin finish wheel (like the 763M) without affecting the matte nature of the finish? Will it necessarily make it glossier?
Appreciate 0