BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

09-25-2023, 03:00 PM   #1145
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr9152 View Post
That's awesome. I'm just sitting here giggling like a kid every time I watch your speed on the back straight. That is bad ass to know these car can be that fast. Yeah I think easy 1:36 if not faster. Road Atlanta is my favorite track. Just so much fun, and if turn 12 doesn't scare you, then there is something wrong with you. Haha.

Have you every sent a video into the guys at Blayze? They really helped me find some more time.
I haven't sent to blayze but I've sent to a few remote data coaches to help me pick up time. I also submit myself for abuse in a track discord server where they basically tell me to be better LOL. This was free of charge from the discord group. I like Road Atl over VIR. I think it might be because I have more seat time there.

T1: Need to be wide open up the hill.
Can carry more speed over the T3 curb and carry that through 4, there's more grip there than you think.
The fact that u were able to pull the car so far left at 13:12 means you didn't carry enough speed through 4
Esses: Back to full throttle at least by 13:13, waiting way too long there
T5: Solid, you can open up the entry using a bit more of the right hand curb but otherwise ����
T6: More balls
T7: Good, can prob pickup the throttle a tad earlier but 7 is arguably the most important corner on the track, so I like keeping it tidy there
T10: I feel like you should be able to go all the way to the 300 board, and your spiky brake trace kinda shows that. Commit to a later braking point and be solid on the brakes all the way to 10A

Need to be wide open up and down the hill going to 12, maybe a tiny lift under the bridge for the bump but even in my car I'm flat through it
T12 you can be 10mph faster through the corner
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 03:23 PM   #1146
jwr9152
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
I haven't sent to blayze but I've sent to a few remote data coaches to help me pick up time. I also submit myself for abuse in a track discord server where they basically tell me to be better LOL. This was free of charge from the discord group. I like Road Atl over VIR. I think it might be because I have more seat time there.

T1: Need to be wide open up the hill.
Can carry more speed over the T3 curb and carry that through 4, there's more grip there than you think.
The fact that u were able to pull the car so far left at 13:12 means you didn't carry enough speed through 4
Esses: Back to full throttle at least by 13:13, waiting way too long there
T5: Solid, you can open up the entry using a bit more of the right hand curb but otherwise ����
T6: More balls
T7: Good, can prob pickup the throttle a tad earlier but 7 is arguably the most important corner on the track, so I like keeping it tidy there
T10: I feel like you should be able to go all the way to the 300 board, and your spiky brake trace kinda shows that. Commit to a later braking point and be solid on the brakes all the way to 10A

Need to be wide open up and down the hill going to 12, maybe a tiny lift under the bridge for the bump but even in my car I'm flat through it
T12 you can be 10mph faster through the corner
Man you got quite the list. Looks like me for every track. I nit pick the hell out of my self. Set a new PB and am pissed because it wasn't perfect. I always laugh how people will tell you, you can carry 10 more mph through a corner but don't tell you how to do it. You have to have the right lines and the right inputs to increase your mph that much. That's the info I need. Even better if I can ride along and see someone do it.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #1147
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Man you got quite the list. Looks like me for every track. I nit pick the hell out of my self. Set a new PB and am pissed because it wasn't perfect. I always laugh how people will tell you, you can carry 10 more mph through a corner but don't tell you how to do it. You have to have the right lines and the right inputs to increase your mph that much. That's the info I need. Even better if I can ride along and see someone do it.
Thankfully, they did give me a video of where to point my car. Its a bunch of WRL folks so they have tons of seat time. And you're right... I make sure to get in car coaching where I can. A lot of folks wont do right seat anymore though.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 04:00 PM   #1148
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
That's awesome. I'm just sitting here giggling like a kid every time I watch your speed on the back straight. That is bad ass to know these car can be that fast.
Check out OG Shark’s escapades with Project 223. Insane times at COTA:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1862458
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      09-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #1149
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Check out OG Shark’s escapades with Project 223. Insane times at COTA:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1862458
Oh yeah I did. Watching his videos convinced me I didn't make a mistake switching to a M2. Now I just need to save up money so I can send my car over to him. Though I'm pretty stoked how good it is with just a few tweaks.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      09-25-2023, 05:33 PM   #1150
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah I did. Watching his videos convinced me I didn't make a mistake switching to a M2. Now I just need to save up money so I can send my car over to him. Though I'm pretty stoked how good it is with just a few tweaks.
How long have you been tracking cars? Trying to better understand the combination of skill, experience, and balls that made that 1:35.8 happen…
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 06:06 PM   #1151
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
How long have you been tracking cars? Trying to better understand the combination of skill, experience, and balls that made that 1:35.8 happen…
Been autocrossing for awhile, but really started tracking about 8 years ago. Did some karting and motocross when I was a kid. No skill, little experience, tiny balls, too stupid to know better.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 10:12 PM   #1152
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
That's the beauty of this platform - is doesn't take much to make them absolutely shine in both outright performance and just as important fun factor.

The pure straight line part can be nutty. Before I pulled 223 off the street and started the cage and full build process the vmax was 164 in 90* temps on the back straight at COTA. Car was still close to factory weight and did have decent aero load for the platform. Friendly conditions would have been interesting. This was with bolt on factory housing based turbos (the same Anonymoose has on his car now). Definitely a bit more than a simple bolt on package but still a very uninvasive mod. Like most of us I'm not on the track for the straight line hits though but it would always make me giggle blowing the doors off pretty much anything on the track. Suspension & brakes though are ultimately where its at and with just those this platform can go a long, long ways.

FYI I'm trying to get my GT3 RS to be as fast as my M2 now
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 10:14 PM   #1153
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Been autocrossing for awhile, but really started tracking about 8 years ago. Did some karting and motocross when I was a kid. No skill, little experience, tiny balls, too stupid to know better.
I find this part to be the key to speed for me
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 12:33 AM   #1154
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Need some input from folks smarter than me:

I’m running TCK singles up front and doubles in the rear with the 300/600 spring rate combo. I run Barber exclusively, which has a lot of elevation change.

In two high G right hand corners where the track compresses the car with elevation change I’m bottoming out the shocks despite being only 5-10mm below stock ride height. Its annoying, but doesn’t seem to be impacting lap times or unsettling the car too much.

Some say live with it, others say address it. The car is a dual duty tool that takes me to the office 4d a week.

Are 400/700 springs the solution here? CSR swaybars? Is it time to sell a kidney for MCS 2WR?

Oddly an instructor in a M2C (I’m in an OG) runs MP KW and despite those rates being the same or slightly lower he’s not having this same issue while being a second quicker than I am.

Help me BimmerPost you’re my only hope.
Quote:
It’s very very brief, and it recovers quickly. Load shifts towards the rear as you power up and it take the crest of T4 well. Same thing happens again between 12 & 13. The track compression bottoms it but it recovers quickly. If I’m on a scorcher it’s nearly maxed though through apex of 13.

That 13-15 section is deceivingly up hill and you can stay on throttle. Great place to catch the GT3s as that’s a weak spot for em. They also struggle with the T2 carusel so that’s a great place to press.

Laying in bed rn resting between session. I’m spoiled.
TCK uses Koni twin tube dampers which don't tend to make as much compression damping as monotubes. Additionally they have a pretty high rebound bias, which leads to taking longer for them to return to normal height and makes them susceptible to packing/jacking down. This in turn gives them less travel before bottoming out and sounds like what's happening to you

Since your rears are double adjustable I'd try cranking up the compression to its max. I'd be surprised if that damper is capable of having too much compression force.

I don't recall how much free damper travel you have before bump stop engagement or how tall the bump stops are in the TCK kit, but that's one area I'd look at first to see how much room you have to play with.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 05:48 AM   #1155
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
That's crazy. This car has to be the best kept secret. I really thought I was downgrading, but now feel like I upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 05:49 AM   #1156
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
I find this part to be the key to speed for me
Haha. Makes s huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 07:25 AM   #1157
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's the beauty of this platform - is doesn't take much to make them absolutely shine in both outright performance and just as important fun factor.

The pure straight line part can be nutty. Before I pulled 223 off the street and started the cage and full build process the vmax was 164 in 90* temps on the back straight at COTA. Car was still close to factory weight and did have decent aero load for the platform. Friendly conditions would have been interesting. This was with bolt on factory housing based turbos (the same Anonymoose has on his car now). Definitely a bit more than a simple bolt on package but still a very uninvasive mod. Like most of us I'm not on the track for the straight line hits though but it would always make me giggle blowing the doors off pretty much anything on the track. Suspension & brakes though are ultimately where its at and with just those this platform can go a long, long ways.

I am so glad you talked me out of going single turbo.

These full race turbos make 650WHP in Bend Calibrations Full boogie tune. On big boy tracks like VIR and Road Atl I'll swap the map for a session just to live a little. The great part about what OG Shark built for me is my car is consistent. It's really hard to have a car that can take a 20 min session and giving it hell but still perform with no issues.

If you want to giggle a bit more here is a lap around VIR in Nemo on the road course tune 565HP on 200TW CRS. The camaro you see in the video is a Hendrick Time Attack ZL1 Camaro that has 637HP and weighs under 3k. BTW he is also on full slicks. (https://hendricktrackattack.com/track-attack)

Johan did a 1:59 but the video cut out but I still have the proof on the AIM. Sub 2 on 200tw tires at VIR is cooking.

Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      09-26-2023, 09:28 AM   #1158
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post

Johan did a 1:59 but the video cut out but I still have the proof on the AIM. Sub 2 on 200tw tires at VIR is cooking.
Man that's moving. VIR is on my bucket list.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #1159
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
That's crazy. This car has to be the best kept secret. I really thought I was downgrading, but now feel like I upgraded.
For dual usage I think its right up there as the best platform. Complete civility and utility on the street with huge potential on the track. I will say that I overall enjoy tracking the E9x M3 platform more but it has to be at a dedicated track car level build or the pace isn't there. Keeping it street friendly holds it back too much for my tastes. With the F87 though you can have both without sacrificing either - pretty dang awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 10:30 AM   #1160
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For dual usage I think its right up there as the best platform. Complete civility and utility on the street with huge potential on the track. I will say that I overall enjoy tracking the E9x M3 platform more but it has to be at a dedicated track car level build or the pace isn't there. Keeping it street friendly holds it back too much for my tastes. With the F87 though you can have both without sacrificing either - pretty dang awesome.
Even if you go full stupid with one its still a delight to drive on the highway. I took mine for a city roadtrip... I looked stupid driving the sun on the highway but it behaved nicely.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 12:13 PM   #1161
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:

I've always considered Porsche to be the benchmark for dual purpose cars that are extremely capable and reliable on track, and ease to drive around town.

So far the M2 has been outstanding. Hopefully the reliability will hold up.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 08:32 AM   #1162
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

All this talk of barber and expecting us to be fast…

I present fresh meats. OG Shark is bringing a surprise and has asked me to go sub 130 lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      09-27-2023, 01:17 PM   #1163
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok I’m ready! (Somewhat)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 10:34 PM   #1164
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Nice. Sub 130 would be bad ass.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:06 AM   #1165
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Great video of Skeen banging out sub :30 laps in a GT3 Cup to get you hyped. Note the line and use of curbing through T12 and how he’s eating all of T13 curb. Also, he’s flat from the apex T3 all the way to T5 brake zone like a boss.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:44 AM   #1166
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
Great video of Skeen banging out sub :30 laps in a GT3 Cup to get you hyped. Note the line and use of curbing through T12 and how he’s eating all of T13 curb. Also, he’s flat from the apex T3 all the way to T5 brake zone like a boss.

I see no difference between his lap and mine. Hahaha. I've actually had Mike help me some at Barber. He's a great coach as well as great driver.
Appreciate 0