BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Owners keeping the original M2

04-18-2018, 12:36 AM   #177
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Not sure why people get upset when a manufacturer updates a car, there is no promise made by anyone that x car will be produced for x period of time and therefore blah blah. The idea that the new car depreciates the 2016-2018 cars is silly, those cars (mine included) are depreciating regardless and anyone who buys a car expecting to avoid depreciation is setting themselves up for disappointment.

I will be keeping my car long term, I made that decision before I took delivery. Learned long ago not to chase the newest thing for the sake of having the newest thing because its very costly and rarely pays off as much as you hope. For those who are shocked and dismayed I would suggest doing more research in the future before you buy. It was clear when the M2 was launched the N55 was not going to be around for long, the question wasn't if the M2 would get a new engine but which one it would be. For those buying the M2 Comp don't be surprised if in a few years the M2 gets another new engine because its not likely the S55 will continue beyond the life of the F80 cars. This is just the way things go, I had a buddy who bought a C6 Corvette with the 6 speed auto only to have the 8 speed come out 3 months later, it happens. Enjoy what you have.
Appreciate 5
Ex-MINI582.00
qnet681.50
Spa2k1194.00
Aloha Joe393.00
bobert858.50
      04-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #178
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

M2C is nothing more than a little brother getting some hand me downs

There will always be hype for the next latest and greatest and I think some folks get way too swept up in the anticipation.
Appreciate 3
KevM2723.50
S1monQc223.50
Spa2k1194.00
      04-18-2018, 12:42 AM   #179
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
M2C is nothing more than a little brother getting some hand me downs

There will always be hype for the next latest and greatest and I think some folks get way too swept up in the anticipation.
So what did you decide? Or still weighing? Great YT channel!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #180
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoolzboy View Post
so 2018 LCI N55 is a one year phenomenon? Feel sorry for anyone who just receive their car. Resale value going to be freefall if M2C priced within 5 to 8 percent of the original M2.
I disagree with this perception, and I think the years ahead will tell a different story, but it's also beside the point. There are lots of things to feel sympathy for in this world...someone having a BMW M2 in the driveway, in any iteration, isn't one of them. And if I'm wrong, and worst case comes true and M2 "classic" buyers are forced to keep their M2 and keep driving them, I can think of worse forms of torture. Getting stuck with an '89 Hyundai...that's deserves sympathy. A '16-'18 M2? I think anyone in that position is actually pretty fortunate in the grand scheme of things.
Appreciate 8
KevM2723.50
qnet681.50
mssVT98141.50
silverado287.50
seis-speed2430.50
Aloha Joe393.00
      04-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #181
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
So what did you decide? Or still weighing? Great YT channel!
The more I think about it, I’m leaning heavily towards keeping my LCI. The M2C doesn’t jazz me enough, at least right now. I really wish they did a race ready version of the current car with carbon bits, seats and a roll cage.
Appreciate 1
Wilsm2187.50
      04-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #182
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

I've thoroughly enjoyed every bit of my time over the last 2 years with my '16 launch year car. Upgrades are scheduled to be installed this spring, lots of track days to come this summer.

Getting to be a better faster driver on track, but I'm nowhere close to reaching the limits of the car yet. Upgrading to the M2C would make no sense financially, nor would it really offer me any real world benefits other than bench racing bragging rights.
Appreciate 3
qnet681.50
S1monQc223.50
      04-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #183
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
I've thoroughly enjoyed every bit of my time over the last 2 years with my '16 launch year car. Upgrades are scheduled to be installed this spring, lots of track days to come this summer.

Getting to be a better faster driver on track, but I'm nowhere close to reaching the limits of the car yet. Upgrading to the M2C would make no sense financially, nor would it really offer me any real world benefits other than bench racing bragging rights.
I told myself the exact same thing.
S1monQc223.50
      04-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #184
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
so 2018 LCI N55 is a one year phenomenon? Feel sorry for anyone who just receive their car. Resale value going to be freefall if M2C priced within 5 to 8 percent of the original M2.
Maybe, but it really doesn't matter to those of us who will be keeping their car for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #185
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post

My thoughts exactly!

And for those claiming the resale value of the original M2 will fall down, it may depend on your market, but in Canada M2 are quite rare and the higher price tag of the M2C will prevent some enthusiasts to buy it, thus leaving a good market for the used vanilla M2
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1194.00
      04-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #186
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

For current M2 owners who wish or wished for a more hardcore CS model instead of what the M2 Competition features, how many of you would seriously sell your current M2 and trade up when the price range is let’s say $85-90k?

If so, how’ve your current mods on your car demonstrated your commitment to caring that much for something more hardcore? If you’re car is not more hardcore than when you first bought it, I don’t think you’ll bite and you’re really putting on a front when you’re looking at this competition model.

There are only a few out here who truly want a hardcore model. However to fill the void, there’s always quality performance parts and mods in the market that’s an alternative. For those who haven’t purchased these parts, I don’t want to hear the current competition model isn’t a decent upgrade for you.
Appreciate 3
M-Pilot4859.00
KevM2723.50
      04-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #187
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspoon View Post
For current M2 owners who wish or wished for a more hardcore CS model instead of what the M2 Competition features, how many of you would seriously sell your current M2 and trade up when the price range is let’s say $85-90k?

If so, how’ve your current mods on your car demonstrated your commitment to caring that much for something more hardcore? If you’re car is not more hardcore than when you first bought it, I don’t think you’ll bite and you’re really putting on a front when you’re looking at this competition model.

There are only a few out here who truly want a hardcore model. However to fill the void, there’s always quality performance parts and mods in the market that’s an alternative. For those who haven’t purchased these parts, I don’t want to hear the current competition model isn’t a decent upgrade for you.
My only issue with the current model is this. It is so hard push the ceiling up in terms of power. For how much I have spent (not including suspension) on the car and power mods it would equal to the supposed base price of the M2 Comp plus a BM3, headers and IC. But that alone means they can break 500 whp easily. N55 on the other hand is that even with all that, I barely break 400whp, even with a PS2, I'm barely gonna break 440 whp. PS2 on S55 makes upwards of 700 whp, wtf is that.

I guess what I'm paying for, if I do decide to sell my current M2, is for a higher upgrade ceiling. But then again, I want to daily this, so point is moot lol
      04-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #188
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
I disagree with this perception, and I think the years ahead will tell a different story, but it's also beside the point. There are lots of things to feel sympathy for in this world...someone having a BMW M2 in the driveway, in any iteration, isn't one of them. And if I'm wrong, and worst case comes true and M2 "classic" buyers are forced to keep their M2 and keep driving them, I can think of worse forms of torture. Getting stuck with an '89 Hyundai...that's deserves sympathy. A '16-'18 M2? I think anyone in that position is actually pretty fortunate in the grand scheme of things.
Well said. The crazy thing is, all of us on this forum are not the norm. I live south of Atlanta. It's a fairly big city, but not like the NY or LA. Besides at two dealerships, I've seen literally three M2's, around the city; in the three years they've been getting produced. I've never seen any in my area of town. Even when I had my M235i it was rare to see.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #189
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
My only issue with the current model is this. It is so hard push the ceiling up in terms of power. For how much I have spent (not including suspension) on the car and power mods it would equal to the supposed base price of the M2 Comp plus a BM3, headers and IC. But that alone means they can break 500 whp easily. N55 on the other hand is that even with all that, I barely break 400whp, even with a PS2, I'm barely gonna break 440 whp. PS2 on S55 makes upwards of 700 whp, wtf is that.

I guess what I'm paying for, if I do decide to sell my current M2, is for a higher upgrade ceiling. But then again, I want to daily this, so point is moot lol
Thanks for sharing. Makes sense.

If I were in those shoes, I’d have to really care about making more power and really care about this body style for me to sell and buy into the comp. Otherwise, save your money for the next thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #190
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I used to think like that when I had a highly modded STI... Always trying to make more power, but then I look back and the number of occasions I could really show that my car was more powerful than a stock STI... Barely a few times and it would have been more dangerous than anything... Basically did it for style and ego points.

If you are a hardcore track addict looking for records, then it may makes sense, but if you intent to keep it stock, no point in upgrading.
Appreciate 4
KevM2723.50
Yiruna393.50
Ex-MINI582.00
qnet681.50
      04-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #191
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
Quote:

I used to think like that when I had a highly modded STI... Always trying to make more power, but then I look back and the number of occasions I could really show that my car was more powerful than a stock STI... Barely a few times and it would have been more dangerous than anything... Basically did it for style and ego points.

If you are a hardcore track addict looking for records, then it may makes sense, but if you intent to keep it stock, no point in upgrading.
It's mainly for track times, I want to be able to tune my power for whatever the situation is and the context of the track. Like, for daily driving, give me most grip while pushing the threshold of power to be able to use that grip. But for what about other tracks?

I just want to be able to tune for the situation and the N55 is limiting those situations. But for daily driving, I'm already where I kind of want to be.
      04-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #192
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Financially it makes no sense to take the hit for a trade in.

Who knows, this car might be a little gem in the future when people say....remember when the M2 had the N55.

Not sure if this matters at all but have you seen the prices of mods for an S55? Definitely pricier.

Also I've tried a stage 1 on my N55 M2 and let me tell you that alone whips the rear out while even going in a straight line. I know people will tune the M2c to M3/M4 600hp levels....how nuts will that be on a shorter wheelbase car haha.

Does this mean that certain mods will go down in price, like exhaust since the M2 seems to be the only one with a single tube to 4 quad exit?? New M2 can't use it, it's not a simple plug and play for any other 2 series. Lol, be excited guys, we have M2s! Look at the VIN...what are the first 3 letters?.....
Appreciate 3
S1monQc223.50
M235guy75.50
Spa2k1194.00
      04-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #193
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I'm in a bit of a situation. My M2 is supposed to come in late May/early June but I'm wondering if I should put my deposit down on an M2C instead. I'm not a baller though as the cars I have previously owned are a tier down in the Golf R, STI, and EVO X MR. I suppose BMW may be coy about M2C pricing so dealers won't be stuck having to discount existing 2018 M2 inventory. If the M2C is going to cost $10k more that's probably a deal breaker for me but if we are talking a few grand that's going to eat at me ha ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #194
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I'm in a bit of a situation. My M2 is supposed to come in late May/early June but I'm wondering if I should put my deposit down on an M2C instead. I'm not a baller though as the cars I have previously owned are a tier down in the Golf R, STI, and EVO X MR. I suppose BMW may be coy about M2C pricing so dealers won't be stuck having to discount existing 2018 M2 inventory. If the M2C is going to cost $10k more that's probably a deal breaker for me but if we are talking a few grand that's going to eat at me ha ha ha.
If you can afford the most likely 5K base price increase in Canada (before options), if you don't get a discount on your LCI M2, if you don't mind the sound of the S55, if you plan to tune the car and if you like the new features of the Comp, then go for it.

Otherwise, keep your order
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #195
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not 5, 10%
And really no point to get sorry for us ... we feel lucky ones
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #196
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
For me, it’s a no-brainer. If you’re in a position to back out of the old model, don’t take delivery and get in line again. Saying the M2C is going to cost more than $10k over the 2018 model is not completely accurate.

To compare the price, take the same packages you will have purchased with the 2018 model and build it with the 2019 model. Certain options are newly available for 2019 at a cost and that shouldn’t be used to compare with the 2018 model as if you took delivery of a 2018, it wouldn’t have them.

This is the only way that $10k number that gets thrown around makes sense. If you want to get even more nit picky, calculate any type of cost you would spend on a 2018 which is standard on the 2019 such as mirrors, seats, badges, kidneys, fender badge, exhaust tip color, red start stop button. I personally won’t go down that rabbit hole calculating the nit picky as it’s not worth the argument because I may not do all those configurations.
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1194.00
      04-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #197
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

The more I look at the M2C the more I smile when I think about mine.

I think the original has more aggressive front

M2C
don't like the colour in the seats and if they are the same as the M3:M4 my back feels stiff after sitting in the seat approx 1hr, not keen on the wheels. .

I like the 3 little splits on the scoop and the door sills.

The engine may be better, I don't race or track my cars so the engine don't bother me, and I love the sound of my MPE

It's a keeper for a long time.
      04-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #198
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Well said. The crazy thing is, all of us on this forum are not the norm. I live south of Atlanta. It's a fairly big city, but not like the NY or LA. Besides at two dealerships, I've seen literally three M2's, around the city; in the three years they've been getting produced. I've never seen any in my area of town. Even when I had my M235i it was rare to see.
I was in ATL for work and popped over to Sweet Auburn BBQ on the city’s NE side. Saw two M2’s within 10 minutes of each other- an MG and an LBB.
Appreciate 0