BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Electrochromic mirror or the loss of!

01-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Electrochromic mirror or the loss of!

I know the answer is to save cost but I guess I'm just saying it as I feel quite strongly that bmw is going in a direction that I don't want them too.

In all the BMW's I've had with electrochromic mirrors there has always been 1 or 3, the 1's could have been 3's that were wiped out and replaced on a budget by a previous owner.

I got my M2C on 28th December as a daily and the other day (slow I know) I noticed the auto dip electrochromic function not working on the passenger side. A quick call and it was booked into get looked at by dealer then a few minutes later the tech who was going to look phoned and said it's not an electrochromic mirror on the passenger side on epc

He and I were both shocked and agreed it was the way things were going and an hour later he called to say that the 420d he was working on had the same rear view and drivers only. My X5m has all 3 so I guess you get what you pay for but I would have thought they could have stretched to it on an M2C.

I know it's a minor and I should enjoy flat out side ways action and steer from the rear etc but as a daily it has to get driven at night and sometimes I just can't be bothered so when a car with bright led's is behind (ironically I find the new mini's the worst it's like sitting in the sun!

Rant over.

(I am going to have a look and see if the wiring is there and try and get a left hand drive mirror as it may solve the problem)...... just a thought
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

on the other hand, as the car photochromic mirrors age the sandwich deign of the mirror yellows and the medium sometimes leaks out - this was the issue on Mercedes that I liked to keep for many years.
I'm not sure if the newer mirror designs have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Yup. Apparently it’s the same in Mercs too. Auto dimming only for the driver side and not passenger.

Even I thought about getting an auto dimming ORVM for the passenger side from the UK (drivers side there) but I wasn’t sure if the wiring was in place.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0