BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > What will your first mod(s) be?

07-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #89
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
This is from their FAQ.

Waxes, sealants and protectants are typically designed to reduce the surface energy of the paint, making them easier to clean etc. A reduction in surface energy will reduce the film’s ability to adhere to the paint and could cause long term adhesion issues. Because of this, we generally recommend removing these types of products before installation. If these types of coatings are to be used, we recommend applying them AFTER installation of our paint protection film.
Here is a link to a thread regarding this. Jeff, an XPel representative, clearly states that you CAN apply XPel over a coating. It simply changes the adhesive properties of the film, making application of PPF different, not inadvisable. It can be done, just as easily as without a ceramic coating underneath it, and with excellent results.

https://www.tintdude.com/forum/topic...coated-paint/?
      07-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #90
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
PPF goes on first then ceramic coating can be applied.
What's the point of putting ceramic coating on a PPF? I thought it's so your paint shines like magic? You're going to protect protection film? Seems redundant...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #91
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
What's the point of putting ceramic coating on a PPF? I thought it's so your paint shines like magic? You're going to protect protection film? Seems redundant...
Many PPF's reduce the optical clarity of the underlying paint. Many choose to add a ceramic coating over the PPF to help improve clarity. It is by no means necessary.

Latest offering from XPEL improves on clarity.
XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #92
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I think a good way of looking at it, is that PPF and coatings offer two different types of protection. PPF protects your paint against "big" damage (think stone chips, bird droppings), whereas ceramic coatings protect against "small" damage (or "contaminants") (ie - UV damage (even though PPF does have UV protection), as well as repelling water and to some extent dust and dirt), all while imparting the esthetic benefit (the "shine", "gloss", etc).

PPF on its own is not very hydrophobic (apart from the new XPel Ultimate, which I have not dealt with yet). As such, dirt, bugs, tree sap, or whatever airborne contaminant will have a much lesser chance of sticking to the surface of your PPF, if you apply a LSP (last stage protection) - whether that be wax, sealant, or coating. PPF on its own, with no LSP on it, is a BEAR to wash bugs off of. With scrubbing, you run the risk of marring the PPF, so with a LSP on the PPF, you lessen the risk of damaging the PPF, because everything washes off of it that much more easily.

Now, all the market has to do is come up with a protective layer to put over top of the ceramic coating, that is already on top of the PPF. Oh, wait. They already HAVE that, LOL. (eg: CQuartz's manufacturer markets Reload, which is basically a less concentrated silica-based protectant that you spray on and wipe off every couple months, to be a sacrificial layer on top of your sacrificial layer, haha).

Last edited by TTBear; 07-17-2018 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: My spelling clearly sucks
Appreciate 1
Lotus99628.00
      07-19-2018, 01:48 AM   #93
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Camber plates up front.
Appreciate 0