BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Apple CarPlay is finally a free feature in BMW vehicles

01-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #265
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Now if only the offered a retrofit option. Sorely missing the option in my 2016 F86.
      01-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #266
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Free carplay is sweet
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #267
MadRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G06/X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
I think people are forgetting Apple CarPlay is a platform. You don't have to use Apple Maps. You can use any maps installed on your phone e.g. Waze, Google maps, etc.

This in it self makes the maps much more valuable as it is updated frequently. In addition, it takes in my robust traffic and crowd share data than the native BMW system.
Since Apple CarPlay is free now why does it still show up in Connected Drive for $300?

When will this change or what's the proper way to get it activated for free?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #268
MadRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G06/X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Free carplay is sweet
Mine still shows up as $300 in connected drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #269
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Free carplay is sweet
Mine still shows up as $300 in connected drive.
Same here.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:58 PM   #270
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Since Apple CarPlay is free now why does it still show up in Connected Drive for $300?

It will show up for $300 in ConnectedDrive because BMW has not made it free for all BMW cars. They've only made it free for 2019+ cars. In addition to this, they are making it "free" by adding the 20 year $300 plan for free to eligible cars. Maybe the website will be updated and clarified in the future or maybe it won't (as once the rollout is complete the only cars that would show the purchase option would be those who weren't eligible for this shift).

As has been said so many times it is sounding like a broken record...

If you have an eligible car and don't yet have CarPlay enabled for free then just wait a few more weeks and you should have it. No need to call anyone or do anything. It will just show up. If you have an eligible car and recently paid you can contact BMW about a refund and some have been successful on this front.

If you have a 2018 or older then you may end up paying for CarPlay as these cars weren't mentioned as part of the shift in strategy. That may change, but as of right now it is only for 2019 or later.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:26 AM   #271
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:

It will show up for $300 in ConnectedDrive because BMW has not made it free for all BMW cars. They've only made it free for 2019+ cars. In addition to this, they are making it "free" by adding the 20 year $300 plan for free to eligible cars. Maybe the website will be updated and clarified in the future or maybe it won't (as once the rollout is complete the only cars that would show the purchase option would be those who weren't eligible for this shift).

If you have an eligible car and don't yet have CarPlay enabled for free then just wait a few more weeks and you should have it. No need to call anyone or do anything. It will just show up. If you have an eligible car and recently paid you can contact BMW about a refund and some have been successful on this front.

If you have a 2018 or older then you may end up paying for CarPlay as these cars weren't mentioned as part of the shift in strategy. That may change, but as of right now it is only for 2019 or later.
Not true.

My car is a 2018 and CarPlay is now free.
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1707.50
MadRed5.00
      01-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #272
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Not true.

It is accurate to the extent of what eligible cars there are. I remembered it being 2018 or later, but altered it to 2019 when I loaded up the AutoBlog article to be sure I wasn't misspeaking. My understanding is it is basically being made free on cars which had the CarPlay subscription option, but not ones where they had the option to pay $300 flat at the start.

That being said, the best advice is still simply to wait a few more weeks. CarPlay will be made free for those cars that are eligible for it without any "work" on the owner's part. BMW hasn't put up a page saying exactly what cars are eligible (probably to keep from pissing off those who aren't) and instead just sends out emails.

IMHO they should just make it free on all cars no matter the model year... But yeah...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #273
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If your car has IDrive 6 and later plus supports wireless CarPlay it should be eligible.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
drgmt984.50
      01-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #274
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
If your car has IDrive 6 and later plus supports wireless CarPlay it should be eligible.
Yes exactly
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #275
KrisJ
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

I noticed the 'booked until' date, which was Sept 2020 for my recent 330e has now disappeared. It now just says 'booked'.

Might that mean it is now effectively permanent (I'm in BE)

Also in the store, Carplay is offered only as the 300 Euro option where previously there were more, shorter term, pricing tiers...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #276
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

All cars with car play provisioning via connected drive will receive lifetime free apple carplay.

This is the fact.

It may take time - be patient and it will come.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #277
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not true.

Let's be careful about what country we are identifying from here. How different countries identify model years and what features bmw offered is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #278
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not true.

Let's be careful about what country we are identifying from here. How different countries identify model years and what features bmw offered is different.
Car play provisioning via connected drive means your car is CarPlay ready. If it is you get it for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #279
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not true.

Car play provisioning via connected drive means your car is CarPlay ready. If it is you get it for free.
That doesn't appear to be entirely accurate. For instance I have a USA 2018 Model year 4 series,
-I can order carplay for $300/240 months via connected drive
-I do not have the option for an annual subscription
-for my car when new, carplay was a flat $300 yes/no option, not the subscription service.
-As has been discussed a few times in this thread and from the materials bmwna has passed along it looks like only the subscription cars are getting it free. Essentially they are just ending the subscription service

If you have any evidence this is not that case please share... believe me I want it free.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #280
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not true.

That doesn't appear to be entirely accurate. For instance I have a USA 2018 Model year 4 series,
-for my car when new, carplay was a flat $300 yes/no option, not the subscription service.
-As has been discussed a few times in this thread and from the materials bmwna has passed along it looks like only the subscription cars are getting it free. Essentially they are just ending the subscription service

If you have any evidence this is not that case please share... believe me I want it free.
I believe if you wait you will receive it free via connected drive
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #281
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:

As its been mentioned before, it will take time before its rolled out to every single car eligible. You cant just expect it to be available asap when its announced.

Earlier MY cars had a shorter term option.
      01-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #282
KmanM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

I have a 2017 with CarPlay provisioning but I never activated it on the car. I have called BMW numerous times and been told that the $300 option is all I have available. It will not become free for me because I never activated it. That makes zero sense to me and I hope it is incorrect but it is the message I got in every one of my calls.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      01-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #283
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanM3 View Post
I have a 2017 with CarPlay provisioning but I never activated it on the car. I have called BMW numerous times and been told that the $300 option is all I have available. It will not become free for me because I never activated it. That makes zero sense to me and I hope it is incorrect but it is the message I got in every one of my calls.
What a load of crap. They can keep their highway robbery $300 fee for something they themselves have admitted is and should be free of charge.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #284
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
I am having a hard time if I should use Apple Car Play or the default BMW way. Can someone give me some con/pro? I know I don't like the navigation layout of the Apply Car Play.
Apple CarPlay simply gives you access to your phone from the BMW screen. You still need the "BMW way" to access your car's functionality.
There are only 2 overlaps: music and navigation.
For accessing the musing in your phone, you could go the BMW way (Bluetooth). But the iPhone way is much nicer.
For navigation, Google Maps is smarter, but I kind of like the BMW navigation. I use both.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:57 AM   #285
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
I am having a hard time if I should use Apple Car Play or the default BMW way. Can someone give me some con/pro? I know I don't like the navigation layout of the Apply Car Play.
Apple CarPlay simply gives you access to your phone from the BMW screen. You still need the "BMW way" to access your car's functionality.
There are only 2 overlaps: music and navigation.
For accessing the musing in your phone, you could go the BMW way (Bluetooth). But the iPhone way is much nicer.
For navigation, Google Maps is smarter, but I kind of like the BMW navigation. I use both.
Don't forget the most popular app in CarPlay. Waze.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #286
Magic-gnome
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 530xi G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanM3 View Post
I have a 2019 model but it's the same, need to pay the 300€ for it to unlock. Quote from support:

Quote:
Apple Carplay is only extended to those customers who have, or have had, an active subscription for at least 12 months. Since you have not had this before, the extension offer does not apply, but the service must then be purchased for.
Appreciate 0