Wallander
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF87M2 View Post
Anyone know if this diff recall only applies to cars in. North America? Are cars in Europe or Asia affected?
It's Global, if you've got a noisy diff report it to a BMW dealer. They'll order a new for your car, install takes 5-6 hours.

If you haven't got a noisy diff - carry on as normal
      11-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #662
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / G01 X3 M40i / F31

Hi guys,

Took delivery of my M2 beginning of August and my dealer finally just replaced the diff in my car. I had put 2,100km on the car before the diff replacement.

I know I have to break-in the new diff but do I need to drive it another 2,000km's before I can really push the car again?? I just started to really enjoy it once the initial break-in period was done.

Just wondering what others are doing and thoughts on breaking-in the "second" diff..... not too happy about the whole situation.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #663
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippe View Post
Hi guys,
Took delivery of my M2 beginning of August and my dealer finally just replaced the diff in my car. I had put 2,100km on the car before the diff replacement.
I know I have to break-in the new diff but do I need to drive it another 2,000km's before I can really push the car again?? I just started to really enjoy it once the initial break-in period was done.
Just wondering what others are doing and thoughts on breaking-in the "second" diff..... not too happy about the whole situation.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but apparently that's what BMW instructed.

See http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=565
      11-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #664
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,
Sorry to rain on your parade, but apparently that's what BMW instructed.

See http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=565
No fun till next summer then.... what a disappointment.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #665
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
It's Global, if you've got a noisy diff report it to a BMW dealer. They'll order a new for your car, install takes 5-6 hours.

I thought this was more of a situation where if your car was impacted, BMW is aware (via VIN) and will reach out to you to replace the rear differential once they are made available. Your statement makes it seem like the replacement differentials are readily available. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #666
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Hi guys,

Yes. The whole break-in procedure is more important for the rear diff than any other mechanical part. That is BMW's recommendation as well.

EDIT: just saw previous post with link
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #667
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone know if this diff recall only applies to cars in. North America? Are cars in Europe or Asia affected?

I don't have a M2 but I definitely have this problem with my 2016 M4. Build date is April 28th. I took delivery in June and until today I only heard soda can crunching noise 2-3 times. However, today I heard it 3-4 times repeatedly especially when accelerating at very low speeds. Not being able to reproduce it drives me crazy. I don't wanna just take it in, leave my car there a few days and dealer not being able to reproduce it. Do you really think they would order a new diff for me if just tell them about the noise?

Anyone else has any suggestions?
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #668
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I don't have a M2 but I definitely have this problem with my 2016 M4. Build date is April 28th. I took delivery in June and until today I only heard soda can crunching noise 2-3 times. However, today I heard it 3-4 times repeatedly especially when accelerating at very low speeds. Not being able to reproduce it drives me crazy. I don't wanna just take it in, leave my car there a few days and dealer not being able to reproduce it. Do you really think they would order a new diff for me if just tell them about the noise?

The diff recall is for M2, M3, M4, M4 vert and some 5 and 6 series.

So yes, take it in, make note of noise, say it matches the diff recall noise and you'd like a replacement.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #669
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a friend in Austin that did euro delivery on his M4 in June. In July it was part of the delivery stop and release and his diff does need replacement.

You've got an issue.
Your car is under warranty.
Simple answer is to call the dealer and see how they proceed. Odds are they probably won't be surprised. Good luck and maybe ask for a really nice loaner.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #670
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:

The diff recall is for M2, M3, M4, M4 vert and some 5 and 6 series.

So yes, take it in, make note of noise, say it matches the diff recall noise and you'd like a replacement.
I know the recall is for M2, M3 , and M4 but I called BMW NA several times already and they keep saying there is no recall for my car so that's why I'm worried that the dealer won't take my concern seriously. Who knows they might even think that I'm just trying to get a new diff for no reason if they can't reproduce it. And several miles they put on on the car to reproduce it would be the bonus. Thanks for tip tho
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #671
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I know the recall is for M2, M3 , and M4 but I called BMW NA several times already and they keep saying there is no recall for my car so that's why I'm worried that the dealer won't take my concern seriously. Who knows they might even think that I'm just trying to get a new diff for no reason if they can't reproduce it. And several miles they put on on the car to reproduce it would be the bonus. Thanks for tip tho
What sadistic person would want a new rear diff just for fun???? Having to break-in for another 2,000 km would be torture.

My advice is try to record it. Get your phone out and take a video doing something you know will trigger the soda crunch (like slow moving with tight turn, that seems to do it).

And I've posted this a few times before, but BMW doesn't truly know how many and which cars were affected in the earlier runs, and they're still discovering more and more as time goes by, a lot of the times because of customers like yourself.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #672
Klippe
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:
What sadistic person would want a new rear diff just for fun???? Having to break-in for another 2,000 km would be torture.

My advice is try to record it. Get your phone out and take a video doing something you know will trigger the soda crunch (like slow moving with tight turn, that seems to do it).

And I've posted this a few times before, but BMW doesn't truly know how many and which cars were affected in the earlier runs, and they're still discovering more and more as time goes by, a lot of the times because of customers like yourself.
It is torture..... trust me....
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #673
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just got my rear diff recall done. Anyone do the 1,200 mile break in procedure and take it back to the dealership to service?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #674
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasblack View Post
Just got my rear diff recall done. Anyone do the 1,200 mile break in procedure and take it back to the dealership to service?
Edit: misread your post.

The new diff goes through same service as the old one for break in after 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0