BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MP Coilovers Clunking

03-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

MP Coilovers Clunking

I can't seem to diagnose a clunking sound from the front and right rear of the car. The coilovers were installed prior to taking delivery and made no noise. I had the car corner balanced and fall line end links installed by a professional race shop and had no noise.

After jacking the rear of the car up to adjust compression, I noticed a slight noise from the right rear. I then had the car into the dealer for the 1,200 mile service and when I got it back, the car started clunking up front. The clunking is more noticeable when the car is cold. I checked the top nut, end link binding, end link tightness, and nut and bolt. Everything appears to be tight. Is the clunking to be expected from having aftermarket end links?

The sound is prevalent over small bumps and sounds like loose clunking. It also makes that sound when turning up an incline.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Not normal, could be many things, the top shock nut could seem tight but not be torqued enaugh. The rear bottom shock bolt is a one time use stretch bolt but I bet most installer don't replace it and it clunks when it's loose.

Good luck finding the source
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

I would suspect the noise in the front would more than likely be the camber plate. In spite of being installed correctly, tight, etc. some will still make tapping or clunking sounds. The rear might be the perch on the top of the coilover. Tough to say for sure though without actually being able to hear the noise personally.

I do not have any clucking sounds in the front or rear and have MPCs as well. Although, do occasionally hear a squeak.
      03-31-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Not normal, could be many things, the top shock nut could seem tight but not be torqued enaugh. The rear bottom shock bolt is a one time use stretch bolt but I bet most installer don't replace it and it clunks when it's loose.

I didn't know about the stretch bolt. I'll definitely have to look into that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2joey View Post
I would suspect the noise in the front would more than likely be the camber plate. In spite of being installed correctly, tight, etc. some will still make tapping or clunking sounds. The rear might be the perch on the top of the coilover.

I do not have any clucking sounds in the front or rear and have MPCs as well. Although, do occasionally hear a squeak.
No camber plates. I don't plan on tracking the car so they weren't necessary.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post

I didn't know about the stretch bolt. I'll definitely have to look into that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2joey View Post
I would suspect the noise in the front would more than likely be the camber plate. In spite of being installed correctly, tight, etc. some will still make tapping or clunking sounds. The rear might be the perch on the top of the coilover.

No camber plates. I don't plan on tracking the car so they weren't necessary.
If your hearing noises up front with OEM top mounts it's definitely not normal !
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0