BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Valvetronic Designs Full N55 Exhaust System

Closed Thread

03-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Cool Valvetronic Designs Full N55 Exhaust System

Hello F87 guys & gals, I'm usually over on the F30 forums but I'm here to present Valvetronic Designs N55 turbo-back exhaust system. I've been working closely with these guys for a few years and they make really great sounding exhausts with the ability to be loud and quiet whenever you need. This F87 system uses T304 stainless steel and matches up to any downpipe of your choosing. It's 3 inches from from the downpipe before splitting off to two 2.5" pipes which helps accelerate exhaust gases out of the system for more power and amazing sound. I can't stress how great it is to have two completely different tones and volumes on one exhaust system; I won't have another car without it! Here's a video of the Valvetronic F87 test vehicle running the full system and catless downpipe.

And if you guys are interested in the system here's a link to Valvetronic's website. https://valvetronic.com/collections/...m2-n55-exhaust

Stay safe out there!
Appreciate 1
dtmurf477.00
      03-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshf30 View Post
Hello F87 guys & gals, I'm usually over on the F30 forums but I'm here to present Valvetronic Designs N55 turbo-back exhaust system. I've been working closely with these guys for a few years and they make really great sounding exhausts with the ability to be loud and quiet whenever you need. This F87 system uses T304 stainless steel and matches up to any downpipe of your choosing. It's 3 inches from from the downpipe before splitting off to two 2.5" pipes which helps accelerate exhaust gases out of the system for more power and amazing sound. I can't stress how great it is to have two completely different tones and volumes on one exhaust system; I won't have another car without it! Here's a video of the Valvetronic F87 test vehicle running the full system and catless downpipe.

And if you guys are interested in the system here's a link to Valvetronic's website. https://valvetronic.com/collections/...m2-n55-exhaust

Stay safe out there!
This looks like almost exactly what I've been looking for.
I want something that can sound close to stock (NO DRONE?), but with valves open gets mean.

I have a few questions though... your website has a variety of pics, some of them show two separate cylinder mufflers in the back, some show more of a suitcase style. Were the cylinder-style mufflers just a prototype build, and the "suitcase" is the final production version? Does the flow from the two sides of the exhaust mingle inside the suitcase, or is it basically just two separate mufflers and paths contained in a single housing?

Secondly - how exactly are you actuating the flaps? You mention "vacuum actuated" in the video... Stock system on the M2 is 100% electronic, not vacuum, and the N55 M2 only has a single actuator stock. I know Remus has a system that basically just uses a "Y" cable, and they supply a second (OE BMW) electronic valve controller. (I have wondered if the stock fuse and wiring are sufficient to handle two valves simultaneously safely...)

Are you just using some sort of device that translates between the stock electric connection and pneumatic? (How? You have your own pump and vac accumulator in the kit?) Do the valves in your system still "obey" the OE valve control requests? I ask this because I already have an AWRON gauge, so I can already control my own valve (or set it to auto). I don't want any separate standalone valve control, I just want a system that obeys the stock commands.

My only minor gripe is your tip selection; I don't like the separate outer "beauty piece" style. I'd prefer tips that look similar to stock, or possibly rolled angled tips... the floating outer housing doesn't do it for me. I'd also prefer a basic satin black or black chrome over the silly carbon fiber. What size are the outlets, something standard so maybe I can find my own clamp-on tips?
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 03-27-2020 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:

Stay safe out there!
This looks like almost exactly what I've been looking for.
I want something that can sound close to stock (NO DRONE?), but with valves open gets mean.

I have a few questions though... your website has a variety of pics, some of them show two separate cylinder mufflers in the back, some show more of a suitcase style. Were the cylinder-style mufflers just a prototype build, and the "suitcase" is the final production version? Does the flow from the two sides of the exhaust mingle inside the suitcase, or is it basically just two separate mufflers and paths contained in a single housing?

Secondly - how exactly are you actuating the flaps? You mention "vacuum actuated" in the video... Stock system on the M2 is 100% electronic, not vacuum, and the N55 M2 only has a single actuator stock. I know Remus has a system that basically just uses a "Y" cable, and they supply a second (OE BMW) electronic valve controller. (I have wondered if the stock fuse and wiring are sufficient to handle two valves simultaneously safely...)

Are you just using some sort of device that translates between the stock electric connection and pneumatic? (How? You have your own pump and vac accumulator in the kit?) Do the valves in your system still "obey" the OE valve control requests? I ask this because I already have an AWRON gauge, so I can already control my own valve (or set it to auto). I don't want any separate standalone valve control, I just want a system that obeys the stock commands.

My only minor gripe is your tip selection; I don't like the separate outer "beauty piece" style. I'd prefer tips that look similar to stock, or possibly rolled angled tips... the floating outer housing doesn't do it for me. I'd also prefer a basic satin black or black chrome over the silly carbon fiber. What size are the outlets, something standard so maybe I can find my own clamp-on tips?
Hey! So the system has absolutely no drone even with catless downpipe. The muffler is suitcase style and valves are controlled on a separate stand alone system. You can use any tips you like, reuse OEM even. And stock valve can stay plugged in and zip tied behind the heat shield. The system comes with a separate controller to actuate the valves.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      03-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Nuts.
Separate controller = no sale for me.
Too bad you couldn't copy Remus' setup. Transfer stock electronic actuator from OE system to one side, and they supply a second OE actuator + "Y cable" to make them work in unison.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      03-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Nuts.
Separate controller = no sale for me.
Too bad you couldn't copy Remus' setup. Transfer stock electronic actuator from OE system to one side, and they supply a second OE actuator + "Y cable" to make them work in unison.
As someone that's running a remus exhaust, it really is a great solution. Plug-n-play (with an optional VSC controller to override the valve behavior) is the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
911TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 LLB OG M2

Quote:
Hey! So the system has absolutely no drone even with catless downpipe. The muffler is suitcase style and valves are controlled on a separate stand alone system. You can use any tips you like, reuse OEM even. And stock valve can stay plugged in and zip tied behind the heat shield. The system comes with a separate controller to actuate the valves.
Is it me or do the straight-through and muffler'd pipes look to be different diameters? Can you please post some more detailed photos of the production system and the valves/actuator control module? (As was pointed out above, the system on the website looks a good bit different...) Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911TT View Post
Quote:
Is it me or do the straight-through and muffler'd pipes look to be different diameters? Can you please post some more detailed photos of the production system and the valves/actuator control module? (As was pointed out above, the system on the website looks a good bit different...) Thank you.
The inside pipes are smaller diameter to help reduce the sound when valves are closed.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:23 PM   #9
911TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 LLB OG M2

Quote:
The inside pipes are smaller diameter to help reduce the sound when valves are closed.
Got it...Maybe I am confused, but then how can the factory tips be used as indicated in the post above? The factory exhaust has four identical sized tips, no? Sorry, just trying to understand how this would all work.

Btw, are there any additional photos available? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread